My dollar sign key always did just that on my old tour, displaying a dollar sign when I pressed it. Since I got my replacement, it's inputting the sign for british pounds as a default. Anyone know how to reset this? I can't find it anywhere in setup.
    09-11-09 05:51 PM
    Options- screen/keyboard - currency key

Good luck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-11-09 05:59 PM
    Options- screen/keyboard - currency key

Good luck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    And there it is, plain as day. How did I miss that?! LOL.

Thanks!
    09-11-09 06:36 PM
    Does anyone else hate this key? How are they forcing a dedicated $$ key when we have to press alt+m just to get a period?
    09-11-09 06:45 PM
    Does anyone else hate this key? How are they forcing a dedicated $$ key when we have to press alt+m just to get a period?
    The shortcut for this is simply pressing the space bar twice, which will automatically place a period into your message. This doesn't always work when entering text into a web-based entry form, but it definitely works when composing messages (email, BBM, SMS, etc...). Granted, it's still two key strokes for a period, but i find hitting the space bar twice is much easier than typing Alt-M for a period.

Hope this helps...
    09-11-09 06:58 PM
    The shortcut for this is simply pressing the space bar twice, which will automatically place a period into your message. This doesn't always work when entering text into a web-based entry form, but it definitely works when composing messages (email, BBM, SMS, etc...). Granted, it's still two key strokes for a period, but i find hitting the space bar twice is much easier than typing Alt-M for a period.

Hope this helps...
    True, I do like the double spacebar shortcut. But what do you do when you want to write ellipses (like the above)?

I just don't see people using dollar signs enough to warrant the dedicated key.
    09-11-09 07:14 PM
    I just don't see people using dollar signs enough to warrant the dedicated key.
    That's because you're not an accountant or banker! j/k

No short cut around ellipses that I know of, unfortunately...
    09-11-09 07:19 PM
    BlackBerrys were traditionally business devices, so the dedicated $ key originates from that I believe, & I'm sure many BES user and accountant and bankers, like the ^^ poster said, still use the $ key daily. however, I do agree a dedicated . key would be even more useful.

As for creating ellipses, I created an AutoText entry so that when i enter the letters "ddd" (dotdotdot) in automatically replaces in with an ellipses. To create AutoText go to Options, AutoText.
    09-11-09 07:39 PM
    Good idea I'll try the DDD autotext.

I mean we all know the BB was originally a business device, but I think the dedicated dollar key has become cheesy at this point (if it wasn't always). A period, comma, or question mark would all be HUGE improvements to the average user.
    09-11-09 10:17 PM
    As for creating ellipses, I created an AutoText entry so that when i enter the letters "ddd" (dotdotdot) in automatically replaces in with an ellipses. To create AutoText go to Options, AutoText.
    That's Sweet! Never thought of circumventing that tedious [alt/m] thing by doing this; and I though I exploited AutoText to the max.
    09-11-09 10:57 PM
    Good idea I'll try the DDD autotext.

I mean we all know the BB was originally a business device, but I think the dedicated dollar key has become cheesy at this point (if it wasn't always). A period, comma, or question mark would all be HUGE improvements to the average user.
    i wish it was a question mark =/

ps. is there a way to do a backspace in autotext

wow nvm im stupid just click the bb key and click insert macro and scroll down
    Last edited by proof2006; 09-12-09 at 01:57 AM.
    09-12-09 01:44 AM
    As you discovered, there are a whole series of Macro functions such as BACKSPACE.

I've used autotext to redefine a "vSPACE" as a ?
    and "bSpace" as an "!" and use the BACKSPACE Macro to move them back one space to the end of the sentence.

And, yes, typing SPACE V is as many keys as Alt-V but involves less hassle.

I wonder if MMM would be more intuitive than DDD but either would work for ...

These autotext entried also work in Ubertwitter, where wsdot (WA Dept of Transportation) has direct replies to inquiries about certain routes, and border crossing info. So I've abbreviated the "trigger phrases" that I send for Direct inquiries. Although, it can be hard to remember those abbreviations. Too bad the macro language can't be used to popup a menu of choices. Or could it???? I guess MN could type a paragraph with the list. One real backspace erases the replacement text leaving MN again and it can be erased by two more backspaces.... - Ah, mn is already assigned. MU it is. I think I like it....
    09-12-09 09:46 AM
    Key speaker fault might be come with the active device bemuse of the wiring can be possible. You need to take a look around there but the dedicated dollar key has become cheesy at this point .

keynote speaker
    05-12-11 04:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD