Hey all, I am new here, but I've read these forums out of curiosity for a while.

So basically, I have had it with AT&T. I love my iPhone, but it truly kills me that I pay $100+ a month for service that is absolutely terrible. I live on Long Island, and I constantly drop calls even when I am simply sitting at home not moving around. In the city, it's even worse. The internet just doesn't work at all, period, point blank. Walking on the streets, you can actually watch the signal bars jump up and down constantly.

Now I've been toying with the idea of possibly going to Verizon and getting a BlackBerry Tour. I know tons of people that have BlackBerry's so it would be nice to have BBM and also, I really only use my iPhone for texting, email, and regular phone calls. Yes, the App Store is cool, but I can't honestly say that I ever even use any of the Apps I have.

I called AT&T and my ETF would be $145. I'm not too worried about that b/c I could sell the iPhone on eBay for upwards of $400 (I would actually MAKE money if I went through with this!).

Is there anyone on here that's made this switch? I'd love to get some opinions from the BlackBerry users on here!

Thanks!
    03-28-10 01:25 PM
    we dont like ur kind round here. jk
    03-28-10 01:27 PM
    make the switch, you wont regret it!
    03-28-10 02:01 PM
    For your primary needs, Tour should be just about right for you. I've heard a lot of +/- on the iPhone. Very little of it supports what I see people shelling out to have the privelege of using it. I have no regrets, even as I stopped waiting for Tour's successor.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-28-10 02:22 PM
    Do it the tour is awesome!! and with the new os coming it will be even better!
    03-28-10 02:34 PM
    What good is the iPhone if you can't use it as a MOBILE device...
    03-28-10 03:19 PM
    I agree with everyone above... I've had Verizon for a long time and just got my BB Tour in Feb and I can honestly say I am very happy with the Tour. I really don't know how I lived without it. Plus, Verizon has great service, I have yet to get a dropped call, and beyond excellent customer service, well in my own experience with it =)

Just get the tour... you will not regret it!!!!!
    I don't HAHA!!
    03-28-10 03:31 PM
    i would swap with a quickness. Nothing used to **** me off more than when i couldn't make phone calls in my own home. I've had AT&T and T..urd Mobile and now with VZW and its by far the best. I've been very pleased with the Tour.
    03-28-10 03:45 PM
    BIG RED FOREVER
    haha! =D
    03-28-10 03:53 PM
    I switched from AT&T back to Us Cellular with the tour.

True not verizon, I considered it, but almost everyone I talk to is on USCC so it seemed obvious of what to do, but nonetheless I grabed the Tour and it is an awsome phone. I still find alot of uses for the applications available for it as well.
    03-28-10 03:58 PM
    Welcome to the darkside of the world of BlackBerry!

Some find Sprint to be less expensive than VZW with similar service (Sprint roams on VZW towers), but many say their customer service is lacking in some areas.
    BB internet service is included with their plans starting at $59/mo for 1 phone, 500 anytime minutes to any line and unlimited to any wireless phone and unlimited nights after 7pm til 7am M-F and all weekend. Even their unlimited everything plan is pretty good price for individual and 2 phone plans are pretty good as well. Business users may find VZW business plans with discounts a better deal though as I do. And you have to factor in the cost of the phone(s).
    03-28-10 04:09 PM
    BIG RED FOREVER
    haha! =D
    Agreed. I love my VZW. Service is excellent almost everywhere and CS/TS is even better.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    03-28-10 05:07 PM
    The tour is way better business phone if u need that real internet experience u can download bolt or oprea mobile.... The battery life on the tour is waaay longer than the iphone that 5.0 upgrade made my tour last at least 6 hours talk time the only thing is u might miss is the touch screen.
    03-28-10 05:12 PM
    U will not lose with the tour longer batter life smooth texting if u want that real internet browsing get bolt or oprea mobile then ur in the game
    03-28-10 05:18 PM
    The only real downside I see is the smaller screen size (which may not bother you but it can be a little hard to see) and the trackball can be problematic (primarily older ones). The newer version of the Tour will be renamed a Bold and should have a trackpad and WiFi.

Otherwise, it is carrier preference based on where you live and I've only been to one place where Verizon had pretty poor coverage (Beaver Creek, CO). The other 99% of the time, it has been great. Their network and customer service is a huge reason why I stick with a BB, rather than an iPhone.
    03-28-10 09:02 PM
    I just switched from my Tour to an iPhone yesterday. Verizon to AT&T...meh
    03-28-10 09:21 PM
    Thank you, everyone, for the responses.

I did know about the Bold coming to Verizon, so now I'm thinking about waiting it out to see what that phone is like first. Hopefully I can deal with AT&T for the time being.

I'm going to miss my iPhone a ton (I'm a die hard Apple fan), but AT&T is just too frustrating to deal with.
    03-28-10 09:57 PM
    Welcome to the world of blackberry!!!! We hope u enjoy your stay!!! We claimed another iphone user yeaaaa!!!!
    03-28-10 10:07 PM
    The Tour with Sprint is exceptional! With an iphone you pay $30.00 just to have the data program, Sprint users do not. Being a Sprint user for 10 years, yes it has some lows but for the most part and what is includedit is the way to go...
    03-28-10 10:14 PM
    I'm not going to lie to you and say you won't regret switching from an iphone to a tour, because you will miss some of the things on your iphone. But it seems like the tour is a smart move for you to make.

03-28-10 10:39 PM
    I'm not going to lie to you and say you won't regret switching from an iphone to a tour, because you will miss some of the things on your iphone. But it seems like the tour is a smart move for you to make.
    Agreed! I miss my iphone every day! What I don't miss, is spending $150+ for my iphone plan, my wifes dumb phone, unlimited text, and only 550 minutes. I switched to sprints everything family plan with 1500 minutes, which after our discount, costs us roughly $120 for 3x the minutes. With at&t we had ooma to supplement our minutes... Switched to sprint and returned the ooma to costco. The tour is a solid phone. Its not a multimedia star like the iphone, but is a very good phone (ie: call quality, speaker phone, reception). My plan is to enjoy the tour for a while, and wait for a matured android device from sprint. The hero is outdated, and the moment was a clunky POS. I had the moment for less than 24 hours before going back to sprint and asking for them to retrieve my tour from the back room! Its taken me a while to get used to it, but I'm quite content with it... For now.

-Mike

03-28-10 11:46 PM
    I've never had the iPhone, but I do have the Ipod Touch and the Tour and the Tour is basically the best phone I have ever had. It's great with emails, texting, IM and all that. The Ipod Touch is good with videos, browsing and music. So it's a good combination. I have considered going to the iPhone, but I don't see it happening. You won't regret the switch. I have a few friends who went from the iPhone to a blacberry and never looked back.
    03-29-10 08:46 AM
    I have a 3GS and a Tour. I can tell you unequivocally that the iPhone is a far superior device; however, in NYC there is no denying the VZ network/Tour combo - the reliability is incredible.

In short, you will be disappointed with the Tour device itself unless you only use it for phone/messaging, but if you make a lot of phone calls you will be much happier with it.
    Last edited by mciriello; 03-29-10 at 01:23 PM.
    03-29-10 10:07 AM
    i had the iphone,went to the tour loved it,but i was used to the big screen so i swtched to the storm2.gave the iphone to the wife. But big red has it over att by a mile so make the jump you wont regret it
    03-29-10 10:56 AM
    Mrluky has a good point about considering a Storm 2. I go back and forth between my Storm 1 and Tour. I think the screen size is plus with the Storm 2 and it is by most accounts a far better device than the original Storm.
    03-29-10 11:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD