So I chatted with a Sprint representive via their website. I was inquiring about the international data plan ($40 add on) and would it work on the cruise ship I will be on in a week. She said it would, but texting (SMS & MMS) would not work???? I was a bit confused because I thought texting was considered data. She said basically the only things that would work were BBM, email, & web browser. So please help. Is texting phone usage or data usage? Please tell me she is wrong. She said all texts would "sit" for 48 hours and if they didn't become deliverable, they would be deleted.

And if texts are phone service, there is also phone service on the ship at $2.49 per minute. Would my texts/MMS (received) go through when I don't want them to go through?
    02-19-10 08:32 PM
    Sorry - Texting is not data, and its not free international
    02-19-10 08:52 PM
    Been to Tokyo and now in China using world plan. Blackberry functions work flawlessly, phone works with UMTS in both spots. But you will not get txt messages. Recommend getting Google Voice and tell people to txt you on that number and you can respond too as it is data based and will work. Thats what I do. But I usually use messenger at it is more reliable.
    02-19-10 09:17 PM
    Thanks for the info Inichols. I tried to get google voice but says not accepting new accounts now. Is there any other alternative similar to google voice? I know about AIM, but was going to try using it for VOIP phone calls.
    02-19-10 09:44 PM
    Do cruise ships have 3G coverage? If so, everything should work but you may be charged roaming. I am not sure of the availability of 3G on cruise ships as I have never been on one.
    02-19-10 10:06 PM
    Thanks for the info Inichols. I tried to get google voice but says not accepting new accounts now. Is there any other alternative similar to google voice? I know about AIM, but was going to try using it for VOIP phone calls.
    theres line2.com....but $15/month.....
    you can sign up and then next day cancel...they'll drop the price to $4/month for inbound only.
    02-19-10 11:09 PM
    So even if I add an SMS only contact to BBM it won't be considered as BIS data?
    03-09-10 09:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD