This was provided to me by the good people at RIM ... make sure you read the bottom of the instructions, ENJOY !!!!!!!

... i should have started this post with this info ..hope this helps some of you understand the issue with the (SSV) Sprint Smart View-

Sprint has announced that starting with the BlackBerry Tour, you’ll need to create a manual dial-up networking connection to use the BlackBerry as a tethered modem.

The BlackBerry Desktop Manager software version 5.0, which ships with the Tour, has the necessary drivers included to use the BlackBerry as a modem.

In addition, there is another option available. Users can visit our website and download the USB & Modem Drivers and the BlackBerry Device Manager for 5.0 separately and accomplish the same setup without having to install the desktop manager software.

Both the desktop manager and the USB / Modem drivers & the BlackBerry Device Manager can be downloaded at:

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...93E4F3BB068C22

and select BlackBerry Desktop Software 5.0 from the drop-down menu.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blackberry – Existing Blackberry’s are supported in SSV for PAM, however starting with the Blackberry Tour (9630), the phone will need to be connected via tethering. To get it connected just install the Blackberry Desktop Manager available on either the CD included with the device packaging or Sprint - Software Downloads - Select your device type

. Once installed, connect your handset via the USB cable. This will install a series of hardware components and you may encounter a “Windows Logo” testing message, just click “Continue Anyway” if you see one or more of these windows. Finally you will need to create a new Dial-Up Connection (DUN) on the PC.

Create a DUN connection.

� Go to Start > Settings > Network Connection > New Connection Wizard

� Welcome screen click “Next”

� Network Connection Type screen select “Connect to the Internet” and click “Next”

� Getting Ready screen select “Set up my connection manually” and click “Next”

� Internet Connection screen select “Connect using dial-up modem” and click “Next”

� Select a Device screen select “Modem – Standard Modem (COMx)” and deselect all other options, then click “Next”

� Connection Name screen type in a description name for your new connection (example: Blackberry DUN) then click “Next”

� Phone Number to Dial screen enter “#777” and click “Next”

� Connection Availability screen select “Anyone’s use” radio button and click “Next”

� Internet Account Information screen leave the defaults (User name, Password, Confirm password fields should be blank and the box two check boxes should be checked) and then click “Next”

� Completing the New Connection Wizard screen check the box to have shortcut to your new connection added to your desktop. This step is optional but very useful when using you Blackberry to dial the Vision network. Then click “Finish”.

Your new connection window will be displayed or you can access it via the icon on your desktop if you selected to option to create a shortcut, otherwise it will be listed under Start > Settings > Network Connections > Connection Name (reflects the name you entered on the Connection Name step above).

Important step: Open the Black Berry Desktop Manager. This must be open…just minimize it to get it off the desktop if you prefer.

� Then click the “Dial” button on your new connection and it will connect to Vision.
    Last edited by drty_e; 07-29-09 at 11:55 PM.
    07-28-09 08:26 PM
    how is the speed with this? is this the same as that thetherberry app?
    07-28-09 09:22 PM
    just tried this and it didnt make the connection for me. has anyone else tried?
    07-28-09 09:54 PM
    I've gotten it to work just fine, however you must have DM open. I did not realize this when I tried this last week and was going crazy trying to figure it out. This is a new requirement as I never had to have DM open when tethering with my 8830.
    07-28-09 10:01 PM
    Another option for Sprint is just to go to Sprint - Software Downloads - Select your device type and download the free Sprint Smart View for one of the air cards. It is an all in 1 connection manager that saves you the trouble of setting up a connection. You can also monitor your data usage with it so you can stay under the 5 gig cap.
    07-28-09 10:40 PM
    Another option for Sprint is just to go to Sprint - Software Downloads - Select your device type and download the free Sprint Smart View for one of the air cards. It is an all in 1 connection manager that saves you the trouble of setting up a connection. You can also monitor your data usage with it so you can stay under the 5 gig cap.
    I was gonna say, after reading the craziness the first post lists my first thought was "They got rid of Smart View! What morons are running Sprint these days?"
    07-28-09 11:00 PM
    I was gonna say, after reading the craziness the first post lists my first thought was "They got rid of Smart View! What morons are running Sprint these days?"
    Nope, and the new version is pretty nice. I keep a copy of it on my card in case I need to connect through a different computer I can install it on the fly.
    07-28-09 11:04 PM
    First off thank you, I have finally been able to get a connection without having to spend the money for tetherberry, the only need to stay under 5g is for someone with a data card plan, if you are tethering unlimited is your cap; I average between 12g and 21g a month with no complaints from Sprint
    07-29-09 12:03 PM
    Tethering is not unlimited.

It has the same cap as an aircard.

This will catch up wtih you eventually.
    07-29-09 12:12 PM
    Tethering is not unlimited.

It has the same cap as an aircard.

This will catch up wtih you eventually.
    And when they do it is going to be ugly. I know an emplyee who went over the 5 gig cap and they nailed him for $480 in charges. Unless you are on a grandfathered employee plan or select discount state employee plans then you have a 5 gig cap.
    07-29-09 12:19 PM
    I couldn't get Smartview to even detect my Sprint 9630, but this #777 thing did in fact work!
    07-29-09 12:49 PM
    For some reason Sprint SmartView does not recognize the Tour as a device to connect with, with that being said the application itself still does infact create a DUN.

If you go into 'Network Connections' look for the 'CDMA' connection, double click on that while the device is plugged in and you'll connect to the internet.
    07-29-09 12:53 PM
    Try downloading it for the 598 Air card and it should work. That is the version I am using and it is working with no problems. The Smart View versions should all be the same but there might be some slight differences depending on device.
    07-29-09 01:41 PM
    I couldn't get Smartview to even detect my Sprint 9630, but this #777 thing did in fact work!
    What's strange here is that DUN fails immediately if Smartview isn't installed... at least for me.

The error is "Error 833: The modem (or other connecting device) is already in use or is not configured properly."
    07-29-09 01:52 PM
    I actually downloaded the version for the BB 8330 and it seems to be working with my Tour
    07-29-09 02:04 PM
    I have used it for almost 2yrs and no problem, first with my employee plan and when I left I wentr with their simply everything plan and still no issues
    07-29-09 03:26 PM
    I uninstalled my 9630 from device manager and had Windows reinstall the driver. I also installed the Smartview for the 598U Air card. Smartview now works and I can tether properly

FWIW, I'm running Windows 7 x64. Earlier issues aside (which I think were caused by some BB driver wonkiness), I can confirm that this setup works!
    07-29-09 03:41 PM
    I've been told that I've got unlimited data when using my phone as a modem.
    07-29-09 10:10 PM
    I've been told that I've got unlimited data when using my phone as a modem.
    Which is true as long as you don't have a legitimate PAM code on your account.

I'm lucky. I have a truly unlimited data card. No 5GB cap. And I can tether my Tour when I feel like it and not worry about data use either.

Its better to have a data card though - don't have to worry about phone calls and texts interrupting my data connection.
    07-29-09 10:17 PM
    I actually downloaded the version for the BB 8330 and it seems to be working with my Tour
    after downloading this, are there any steps above i still have to take b4 i can connect? ..
    08-02-09 06:12 PM
    whenever i download the Smartview it doesnt recongnize my phone when i plug it in..DM doesnt..it just shows it as disk..
    08-02-09 08:53 PM
    Is Sprint charging extra for tethering? Or is this not noticeable?
    08-02-09 09:24 PM
    how do u set this up?
    08-13-09 12:01 AM
    i was wondering the same is the usage based off of the actual cell phone minutes or data usage j/w i have the unlimited data pack just not minutes
    08-13-09 12:05 AM
    I am traveling in Europe. So I am now roaming on T Mobile Germany (or vodafone depending on location). Will the same instructions (or SmartView) work? Or do I need to change something (apn, etc)?

Thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-13-09 01:55 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD