The 160 character limit.
    People say this is just Verizon that withholds it from going above 160 but I've had a couple phones that went above it, but with my pearl I get 3 seperate texts from my gf that she types in one message.
    Anyone know this info yet?
    06-30-09 05:07 PM
    based on CDMA Blackberry history that limit will be there. This is true for all CDMA carriers.
    06-30-09 05:11 PM
    This thread is going to get some good replys from other users telling you to search. A quick search brought up these threads with answers

http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/to...saging-252513/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/ch...9630-a-235656/
    06-30-09 05:11 PM
    I think if your txting from verizon to verizon more than 160 is ok. I do it all the time with my voyager and my friends vzw curve, but if its a different carrier it will limit it to 160 or break it up into sperate messages.
    06-30-09 05:12 PM
    edit** if my phone didn't ring i totally wouldn't have been the 4th duplicate response .

check out Beyond160. i heard that's a good app for this issue/limitation.
    It is definitly the carriers that limit this as text messages are essentially transmitted as data but billed differently because all carriers are greedy... but thats a seperate issue
    So if you send a 160+ character text to a verizon customer from a verizon phone then it will send everything above 160 characters as additional texts. If you send a 160+ text message from a verizon phone to a non-verizon phone then everything over 160 will be truncated
    On most Verizon dumb phones, you are able to send SMS messages greater than 160 characters thanks to something called EMS. Enhanced Messaging Service is an adaptation of the Short Message Service that allows users to send and receive small sounds, little images, 160+ characters, as well as combinations of simple media to and from EMS-compliant handsets. Please do not confuse EMS with MMS. If a message is sent to a phone that is not EMS-capable, the recipient will still receive the text portion of the message, and also the FIRST 160 characters only. The LG Dare, Voyager, enV, enV2, enV3, EnV Touch, etc etc etc are all EMS capable.
    06-30-09 05:19 PM
    I think if your txting from verizon to verizon more than 160 is ok. I do it all the time with my voyager and my friends vzw curve, but if its a different carrier it will limit it to 160 or break it up into sperate messages.
    I assure you that you are capped out at 160 characters on the curve, this is a CDMA blackberry limitation. Most all of the dumb phones on the market will split the message up for you. The only way to do it on a CDMA blackberry is with a 3rd party app at this time.
    It is definitly the carriers that limit this as text messages are essentially transmitted as data but billed differently because all carriers are greedy... but thats a seperate issue
    So if you send a 160+ character text to a verizon customer from a verizon phone then it will send everything above 160 characters as additional texts. If you send a 160+ text message from a verizon phone to a non-verizon phone then everything over 160 will be truncated
    You are misunderstanding how the SMS system works. The data gets sent over a voice channel and are limited to 160 characters of simple text. If you send a text that is over 160 characters from a verizon phone to another carrier it splits the message into 2 or 3 160 character messages. This is not truncating. The reality of it is the carriers don't pay anything additional for you to send a SMS.
    06-30-09 05:29 PM
    On most Verizon dumb phones, you are able to send SMS messages greater than 160 characters thanks to something called EMS. Enhanced Messaging Service is an adaptation of the Short Message Service that allows users to send and receive small sounds, little images, 160+ characters, as well as combinations of simple media to and from EMS-compliant handsets. Please do not confuse EMS with MMS. If a message is sent to a phone that is not EMS-capable, the recipient will still receive the text portion of the message, and also the FIRST 160 characters only. The LG Dare, Voyager, enV, enV2, enV3, EnV Touch, etc etc etc are all EMS capable.
    EMS has truly been replaced my MMS.
    06-30-09 05:32 PM
    the os is just about the same as the storm so I assume it will be the same..
    06-30-09 05:58 PM
    I assure you that you are capped out at 160 characters on the curve, this is a CDMA blackberry limitation. Most all of the dumb phones on the market will split the message up for you. The only way to do it on a CDMA blackberry is with a 3rd party app at this time.

You are misunderstanding how the SMS system works. The data gets sent over a voice channel and are limited to 160 characters of simple text. If you send a text that is over 160 characters from a verizon phone to another carrier it splits the message into 2 or 3 160 character messages. This is not truncating. The reality of it is the carriers don't pay anything additional for you to send a SMS.
    I believe that texts used to get transmitted over voice channels, but today SMS is transmitted the same exact way data is transmitted. When testing phones at the support center I work at we have been told we can test the data transmision of a phone be either pulling up a web page or sending a text message...
    06-30-09 06:05 PM
    I believe that texts used to get transmitted over voice channels, but today SMS is transmitted the same exact way data is transmitted. When testing phones at the support center I work at we have been told we can test the data transmision of a phone be either pulling up a web page or sending a text message...
    I assure you that it is 2 different channels. One does not cross over to the other. Yes they are both data but think of them as 2 different types of data. The SMS system that is in place today is the same one that was in place 2-5 years ago. You won't see any type of changes in the way SMS messages are sent until LTE and WiMax(available in Baltimore, MD with sprint) roll out.
    06-30-09 06:47 PM

Wait, Really? Because currently on my LG enV, whenever I am sending an SMS to a different carrier, the text messages do not get split up. If my SMS is past the 160 text limit, I get an automated response back from VZW telling me that I can't send more than 160, and that ONLY the original 160 have been sent, while the extra text has been trashed.
    06-30-09 09:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD