Alright so here is the problem. After rain got into my phone i got the red battery strip of death. I put the phone into a bowl of rice to dry and now everything works perfectly. No moisture under the screen or anything. While in my house and out in town i get the SOS reception. (meaning i can only place emergency calls) My tour flip flops between that and the 'x' also meaning no service. My service is with Verizon and NONE of their cell towers are down. I have called up the customer service reps and a family member who runs the cell towers for the New England area. When i drive outside town I get a full signal and I am able to place calls.

I thought of these as possible errors and some input would be greatly appreciated.

1. Sim Card Damage? (but if that was the case why would I get full signal out of town?)
    2. Antenna damage? Ive never heard of this but maybe some of you know better than me

What do you guys (and ladies) think i should try.

I have already done multiple hard resets. Phone updates. and i also called *228 and updated the roaming capabilities.

Thank you in advance!
    07-06-10 12:53 PM
    Let me understand this. You got your phone wet, dried it out, but it now doesn't work ONLY when you are around your own town? Sounds to me like a tower issue to me. If it was the phone, it would not "get a full signal and place calls" when you leave town.
    07-06-10 01:28 PM
    I was thinking the same thing. None of this makes sense to me. If i didnt know any better i would say tower issue as well. But I have a family member who is in charge of all the cell towers in the NE area. After he checked the towers in my area they are all up and running.

Now about 10 minutes ago i turned on my old LG dare and it gets 3 bars in my house. So now i'm lead to believe antenna issue. But where is the antenna located on the tour?
    07-06-10 01:38 PM
    I would call vzw back and talk to some one who knows whats going on. I agree sounds like a tower issue.
    07-06-10 02:38 PM
    All the batteries have a red stripe. That is NOT a moisture indicator. They are inside the battery area and inside the phone.
    07-06-10 03:19 PM
    Have you done the *228 trick to update your roaming and programming? I'm reaching here, but it's worth a try.
    07-07-10 08:13 AM
    Have you done the *228 trick to update your roaming and programming? I'm reaching here, but it's worth a try.
    The OP mentioned that near the bottom of the original post.
    07-08-10 12:51 PM
    I don't think verizon uses a sim card so it can't be that. I've been having signal issues lately again also, did awhile back and got better and now back to issues. I'm convinced it's a carrier thing, upgrading or whatever.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 07-08-10 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Add my signal
    07-08-10 01:02 PM
    All the batteries have a red stripe. That is NOT a moisture indicator. They are inside the battery area and inside the phone.
    No red stripe on my battery that came in my phone or on the OEM replacement battery that I own, nor is there a red stripe visible inside my phone's battery compartment anywhere. I had always heard and read here that the red stripe would bleed onto the white background if it gets wet and also that there is another moisture indicator of some sort inside the phone itself besides the one visible in the battery compartment. However upon inspecting my phone's battery compartment recently I discovered that there is a strip with a green stripe that runs lengthwise visible inside the bottom of the battery compartment, but nothing with a red stripe at all.
    07-08-10 01:40 PM
    My bold has a little white moisture indicator on the battery and in the battery compartment. No red stripe, but interestingly, my old 8330 does have the red stripe through the white sticker on the battery but has absolutely never come in contact with moisture.

OP - PM me if you like - I'm in New England and travel daily throughout the region. If i'm in your area any time soon I'll certainly take note of signal strength.
    07-08-10 02:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD