I have some friends overseas and for some reason verizon and their carrier do not pass text messages between each-other...weird I know.Anyway, are there any other real-time IM programs (like the blackberry messenger) compatible for both phones that we can use to have a real-time IM conversation??
    I have a 9630 btw..

Thanks!!
    11-19-09 03:56 PM
    oops...this should probably be moved to the general discussion forum...sorry mods!!
    11-19-09 03:57 PM
    Yahoo Messenger will. I have iPhone people that use that method to talk to me.

I can also stay logged in without detriment to battery life.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by BergerKing; 11-19-09 at 04:05 PM.
    11-19-09 04:02 PM
    Do you want a toy? (iphone) or a buisness phone? (Blackberry)?
    11-19-09 04:06 PM
    Oh...I have had a Blackberry for the last 3 years, but for some reason they don't seem to be as big in europe. And my friends,for some reason, are apple fanatics...
    11-19-09 04:10 PM
    gtalk? that should do you
    11-19-09 04:47 PM
    The guy is asking about msging from his bb to an iphone, why on earth ask him if he wants an iphone or a bb?!

11-19-09 05:11 PM
    Well, don't IM apps like Yahoo Messenger and AIM use up your text messages count (unlike BBM)? Unless of course you have unlimited texts, then it doesn't matter
    11-20-09 04:17 AM
    IM on the bb is much better!
    11-20-09 04:44 AM
    Well, don't IM apps like Yahoo Messenger and AIM use up your text messages count (unlike BBM)? Unless of course you have unlimited texts, then it doesn't matter
    No, it uses data on the BB. I think you are right though on other less "smart" phone such as the LG Dare, it uses text messaging on those types of phones.

To the OP, like others have said, Yahoo! IM works well aross platforms and also integrates the handoffs well back to a PC if interested.

11-20-09 07:31 AM
    Any of the IM programs whose app shortcuts are in the "Instant Messaging" folder on your Tour (except BB Messenger, of course) will work.

However, have your friends check on their (iPhone) end, to see if any of the iPhone apps for those services use SMS or data.
    11-21-09 12:07 AM
    Blackberry have the BEST IM Applications of all the smart phones, hands down. Whether you Yahoo, MSN, Gtalk, AIM, ICQ or BBM, Blackberry's push technology integration with IM clients makes the experience much better then any other smartphones on the market and here's why.

- Push technology IM uses very minimal battery power. I can leave my MSN, BBM and Yahoo messenger connected all day and use only like 5% of my battery.

- I can multi-task and keep my IM connected in the background without having to shut the application.

- Every messages comes through fast and efficiently with the push technology.

With the iPhone, the top rated IM application is eBuddy and to me that is a joke. You can not leave your IM application on while checking your email or playing a game. Once you log on you would have to keep the application on to stay connected with your peers.

eBuddy is slow to connect during start up and it uses too much power. I left my eBuddy on all day with my MSN account and by the end of the day, my battery has 20% leftover from a full charge.

You would think Windows Mobile perfected their MSN Messenger on their phones OS but it's the worst IM client of them all. It's crashes too often, slow to send and receive messages, lots of security holes, it's buggy and sucks your battery like a leech.

I haven't tried Google's Android to their Gtalk chat client but I heard from friends that it's sucks on battery as well and messages are slow to go through.

Sorry I don't mean to bash any parties here, it's just my opinion with past experience with all IM chat clients for smartphones.
    11-21-09 02:22 AM
    Any of the IM programs whose app shortcuts are in the "Instant Messaging" folder on your Tour (except BB Messenger, of course) will work.

However, have your friends check on their (iPhone) end, to see if any of the iPhone apps for those services use SMS or data.
    Yahoo Messenger is data service on iPhone. I have friends that use it I'm place of the BBM we used to chat on.

11-21-09 03:18 AM
    Sounds like it may come down to a simple matter of personal preference! Don't you love choices?

I use GTalk to I M. From the states to Asia w/ no problems.

Happy hunting!

11-21-09 08:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD