I have been a Blackberry user for years and have been very happy until now. Things have changed and I find myself needing Facebook. I belong to several organizations and Facebook is the easiest way to keep updated and share photos and other information. Facebook never has been great with Blackberry and now is useless.

If you had to change phones, which one would you go to? Droid is on my list but not that shot down with it.
    12-29-10 08:32 AM
    I have been a Blackberry user for years and have been very happy until now. Things have changed and I find myself needing Facebook. I belong to several organizations and Facebook is the easiest way to keep updated and share photos and other information. Facebook never has been great with Blackberry and now is useless.

If you had to change phones, which one would you go to? Droid is on my list but not that shot down with it.
    I'm almost in the same train as you are! I'm really disappointed at what RIM is doing for the customers... I have a friend that has an Android and I'm really compelled to go that way. I like the security features in the BlackBerry but it won't make me stay.

If all you need is Facebook, then I guess that all you need is a phone with a real browser... Have you ever tried "Opera mini" on your BlackBerry? There's also "Bolt Browser" that worked well on my 9700 os5 (both are crappy in os6) Bolt tends to render websites as you'd expect to show on a computer's browser.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-29-10 08:50 AM
    If I HAD to switch, I'd probably go with Android. And, if I had to go Android, I'd probably go with the Droid Pro.

But I don't need to switch, so I think I'll stick with BlackBerry.
    12-29-10 09:35 AM
    Good advice as it seems you need the native Facebook app on your BB if that is what you are using and a good solid browser. Try that before you give up on your BB.

If not then I suppose since Android is now shipping and out selling iphone you could go that way but not my cup of tea. Good luck whatever you do.
    12-29-10 09:39 AM
    I'm almost in the same train as you are! I'm really disappointed at what RIM is doing for the customers... I have a friend that has an Android and I'm really compelled to go that way. I like the security features in the BlackBerry but it won't make me stay.

If all you need is Facebook, then I guess that all you need is a phone with a real browser... Have you ever tried "Opera mini" on your BlackBerry? There's also "Bolt Browser" that worked well on my 9700 os5 (both are crappy in os6) Bolt tends to render websites as you'd expect to show on a computer's browser.

Thought about that but I really would like to push an icon and be there. I don't really browse at all. E-mail, weather, facebook, a few text messages is most of what I do.
    12-29-10 09:46 AM
    I don't have to, but next time out I'm seriously considering the Moto Droid2
    12-29-10 09:48 AM
    Facebook works fine on BlackBerry using Bolt browser. I use mobile FB with the BlackBerry browser though.

If I had to switch I'd go Droid X. I like Google products

12-29-10 09:52 AM
    Thought about that but I really would like to push an icon and be there. I don't really browse at all. E-mail, weather, facebook, a few text messages is most of what I do.
    Doesn't the FB app do push notifications? I thought it did though I've never used it.

12-29-10 09:53 AM
    Doesn't the FB app do push notifications? I thought it did though I've never used it.

Not working on my install of FB 1.9.0.23
    12-29-10 09:55 AM

The Facebook app from RIM does not work. It is my understanding that when Facebook changed it's profile program it won't work with RIM's version.
    12-29-10 09:58 AM
    Facebook works fine on BlackBerry using Bolt browser. I use mobile FB with the BlackBerry browser though.

If I had to switch I'd go Droid X. I like Google products

Don't have any mind in really switching soon although my upgrade comes up in March... IF I did switch id would be the Droid X, HTC Incredible and of course if VZW gets the iphone and they will I would have to give strong consideration to that as well.

Also forgot to mention that I myself do not use FB or even Twitter on my BB and I just don't have time. Mainly my apps and alot of email.
    Last edited by Jaguarr40; 12-29-10 at 10:01 AM.
    12-29-10 09:58 AM
    My FB app is working perfectly as far as I can tell. Been getting notifications no problem. I'm running 1.9.0.20
    12-29-10 10:36 AM

Yes, it has since FB 1.8. Prior to that release the FB app worked off the notification e-mails that FB sent every time you got a comment or a wall post. It no longer requires these to get the alerts.

Not working on my install of FB 1.9.0.23
    Where did you get 1.9.0.23? Was that the leaked version that was found not too long ago? Maybe that's one of the reasons you're not getting your alerts.

I haven't had any problems with FB for BB, other than I wish that Places worked a little better. Seems that my location is only available when I'm standing outside on a clear day in the middle of an open field, wrapped in tin foil, holding a metal rod so that a GPS satellite will somehow notice me and give my location to the app... not like the tin foil or the rod really makes any difference, it's purely for aesthetic purposes...
    12-29-10 11:30 AM
    Where did you get 1.9.0.23? Was that the leaked version that was found not too long ago? Maybe that's one of the reasons you're not getting your alerts.
    It came bundled in the latest 9700 BB6 leak

The Facebook app from RIM does not work. It is my understanding that when Facebook changed it's profile program it won't work with RIM's version.
    Say what?????
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 12-29-10 at 11:38 AM.
    12-29-10 11:33 AM
    Yeah don't know where you heard that, I haven't had any problems.
    12-29-10 11:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD