and sprint has 3g service, why can't i make calls and use data at the same time?

BB Bold folks can
    07-28-09 08:14 AM
    CDMA services do not allow for this.
    07-28-09 08:15 AM
    its a gsm 3g thing. they can do it, cdma cannot.
    That only works on GSM, like AT&T and T-Mobile.
    That only works on GSM, like AT&T and T-Mobile.
    that sucks
    07-28-09 08:41 AM
    Sure does suck what too do

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-28-09 08:43 AM
    Dang, people, JUST dang. (shakes head). It doesn't suck, it is what it is. CDMA is not GSM, GSM is not CDMA. They both have their advantages and disadvantages. A little research would have answered this question quite easily.
    07-28-09 09:00 AM
    One at a time in more places is better than neither in some places. But that's just my opinion.

07-28-09 09:10 AM
    and sprint has 3g service, why can't i make calls and use data at the same time?

BB Bold folks can
    Verizon and Sprint use CDMA for their network and the 3G version of CDMA is EV-DO. EV-DO stands for Evolution-Data ONLY Don't let the marketing people convince you it stands for Data Optimized, that's just smoke and mirrors. There was a standard called EV-DV, Evolution-Data and Voice but it was further behind EV-DO in development and cost more to deploy so VZW and Sprint decided to forgo it altogether, after which Qualcomm quit developing it.

There is a caveat. Being strictly for data, one can use VoIP (especially since EVDO is IP optimized) to do simultaneous voice and data. However, the original version of EVDO, Rev.0 only supported a small upstream data rate of 153kb/s which is why this wasn't possible in previous smart phones. EVDO Rev.A supports an upstream data rate of 1.8Mb/s which is enough to support VoIP. However, so far carrier interest has only been in PTT environments (Push To Talk) The Tour is a Rev.A device. But don't hold your breath for simultaneous voice and data anytime soon...

While bottomline it's not crushing to not be able to surf while you're on the phone, VZW and Sprints EV-DO network is faster than AT&T and TMo's data network which means data service is better, which is really more crucial than simultaneous voice and data, it is annoying for sure.

I'm lucky because my BBerry is provided by my job so I generally don't use it for voice, I have my LG enV2 for that.

In the end, all will be solved with LTE (4G) which VZW has pushed up to 1Q next year. Sorry Sprint users, Sprint has chosen to go it alone (completely) with WiMAX... I've seen WiMAX in deployment for high speed static location data links and quite honestly, it sucks balls. Couple that with Sprint being the only one not to use LTE and you're going to wind up with many holes in the Sprint network in the future that will either depend on older 3G tech or not be usable at all since there will be no WiMAX roaming partners.
    Last edited by gimpyviper; 07-28-09 at 09:13 AM.
    07-28-09 09:11 AM
    In the end, all will be solved with LTE (4G) which VZW has pushed up to 1Q next year. Sorry Sprint users, Sprint has chosen to go it alone (completely) with WiMAX... I've seen WiMAX in deployment for high speed static location data links and quite honestly, it sucks balls. Couple that with Sprint being the only one not to use LTE and you're going to wind up with many holes in the Sprint network in the future that will either depend on older 3G tech or not be usable at all since there will be no WiMAX roaming partners.
    Aah...typical Verizon fanboy response. There has been speculation that T-Mo will be going with Sprint with WiMAX. There has also been nothing said that Sprint won't be looking at LTE. They never said "we're just going WiMAX and that's it".
    07-28-09 09:17 AM
    Sprint also is planning on having roaming agreements with Clearwire. If you put that with t-mobile agreements I think that Sprint will be fine as far as their data network is concerned. They can always upgrade to LTE, from what I understand WIMAX is actually a step in the direction to LTE.
    07-28-09 09:31 AM
    Aah...typical Verizon fanboy response. There has been speculation that T-Mo will be going with Sprint with WiMAX. There has also been nothing said that Sprint won't be looking at LTE. They never said "we're just going WiMAX and that's it".
    I'm not a Verizon fanboy, I only use them because I have to not because I choose to. And I agree with you there's nothing to say the WiMAX chipsets won't support other standards etc, but you have to admit it gives you pause that Sprint is the only one to commit to WiMAX. Not to mention the only reason Sprint chose WiMAX is because they own the primary US WiMAX company (Clearwire) The good news is WiMAX and LTE use the same underlying technology, (not to get technical, but orthogonal frequency multiplexing) so in the future who knows what will happen regarding cross compatibility.

As for the TMobile speculation I highly doubt Deutsche Telekom will chose to have their global network split up into two competing standards. But then again, stranger things can happen of course, Verizon DID choose LTE for example which is a GSM tech. :P

Regardless of that, my personal experience with WiMAX with fixed stationary end points has been horrible. You get nowhere near the speeds they advertise and the downtime was terrible. Now granted this was earlier deployment of the tech and at longer distances than Sprint would use, but nonetheless it left me very unimpressed. I haven't seen LTE demo's or deployments first hand yet but what I've read so far at least has at least left me keeping an open mind they'll meet expectations. If I see a LTE setup go just as poorly as the WiMAX setups I saw I would be first in line to bash it.

Basically I'm not bashing Sprint picking WiMAX because I'm a VZW fanboy but because I've seen the tech first hand and wasn't impressed.
    Last edited by gimpyviper; 07-28-09 at 09:43 AM.
    07-28-09 09:37 AM
    Sprint also is planning on having roaming agreements with Clearwire. If you put that with t-mobile agreements I think that Sprint will be fine as far as their data network is concerned. They can always upgrade to LTE, from what I understand WIMAX is actually a step in the direction to LTE.
    Sprint owns Clearwire so a roaming agreement with themselves is kinda understood ... and you're absolutely right, there's really nothing to make it impossible for WiMAX to be upgraded or converted to LTE as the network hardware is basically the same. I've heard it said more than once that its more like how Windows and Mac OS both run on Intel chips....

One at a time in more places is better than neither in some places. But that's just my opinion.
    Well put
    Last edited by gimpyviper; 07-28-09 at 09:54 AM.
    07-28-09 09:42 AM

I agree. I would take verizons cdma coverage over t mobile and att anyday. At the end of the day its all about call quality and coverage, and verizon is the best

07-28-09 10:30 AM
    I agree. I would take verizons cdma coverage over t mobile and att anyday. At the end of the day its all about call quality and coverage, and verizon is the best

Depends on where you live. In my apartment, I got NO Verizon coverage. However, I get 2-4 bars (depending where I am) of Sprint coverage.

Verizon is not the be all end all to cell carriers.
    07-28-09 01:21 PM
    its a gsm 3g thing. they can do it, cdma cannot.
    I say this every time that one of these threads is created, but yet nobody addresses it. I have an old Moto Q9m from Verizon and I can send and receive SMS and MMS while I am on a call.

Anyone know the explanation?

EDIT: So after doing my research in this here forum, I now know that SMS works over the voice part of the phone and not the data....I was wondering if SMS and MMS were considered "data"
    Last edited by robant85; 07-28-09 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Doing my research
    07-28-09 03:04 PM
    I say this every time that one of these threads is created, but yet nobody addresses it. I have an old Moto Q9m from Verizon and I can send and receive SMS and MMS while I am on a call.

Anyone know the explanation?
    I think it's because SMS and MMS use the same 1XRTTchannel mode that voice uses. I'm not sure though, that's just my best guess. It would seem to make sense since you were able to send SMS before there was EV-DO, before phones used data and had browsers etc.

Also, I just tested it with my Tour, and yes you can be on a voice call and receive SMS messages at the same time. (Didn't test MMS)
    07-28-09 03:19 PM
    I think it's because SMS and MMS use the same 1XRTTchannel mode that voice uses. I'm not sure though, that's just my best guess. It would seem to make sense since you were able to send SMS before there was EV-DO, before phones used data and had browsers etc.
    Ding! ding! ding! winner!!

07-28-09 03:20 PM
    Verizon is not the be all end all to cell carriers.
    Perfectly said. I swear by Verizon, but I understand that it isn't always the best, just the best for what I need and wear I need it. If Verizon was the absolute best everywhere, their wouldn't be any competitors, so obviously their is room for improvement on every carriers network, including Verizon.
    07-28-09 03:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD