If it's not a software issue, why is it that my trackball works perfectly in some applications but is unresponsive/slow in others?

For example:

Good:
    - When viewing large pictures while zoomed in
    - The applications screen (when you push the BB button from the homescreen)
    - When browsing the web (OEM browser, Opera)

Bad:
    - When navigating the home screen
    - When navigating through text
    - When moving the "crop and save" box when cropping an image

I'm sure there is more but those are the most apparent. Also, was instructed by a very reliable that a whipe and restore of the phone eliminates the trackball issues. Worked for me, atleast.

Just thought I'd ask. Your thoughts?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-10-09 12:33 AM
    I think its both Hardware and Software. I had a Tour that would not work properly no matter how many times I did a wipe and restore. Glad it worked for you though.
    09-10-09 12:58 AM
    I agree completely! Everyone is saying that it cannot be a software issue, but every time (VERY RARE) a direction stops working with my trackball, a simple battery pull fixes it...
    09-10-09 10:10 AM
    Anyone who is saying that it's strictly a hardware issue isn't looking at the facts and is indeed wrong. Why does horizontal/vertical sensitivity combination of 90/80 take the skipping and lagging out of trackball movement? Why does the trackball work so well in certain OS menus and apps, but crappy in others? Why is it when I open the Device Self Test Application and take the "Keyboard and Trackball" test at 70/70 I pass, but fail at 80/80 and pass again at 90/90?

It's a combination of both. The trackballs are slightly defective and there ar bugs in OS responsiveness (mainly in v4.7.1.40), causing the trackball to "hang up". Trackball responsiveness seems to be better in version 4.7.1.42
    09-10-09 10:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD