Ok, so if my wife and I are in a VZW dead zone, will her Tour automatically hop on a GSM signal if there's one available while my Curve 8330 sits there unable to connect?
    09-13-09 11:14 PM
    If I'm not mistaken; your Tour has to be unlocked and has to have a valid (i.e. activated) SIM card in it.

I could be wrong; so others can feel free to chime in.
    09-13-09 11:16 PM
    Well it came with a SIM card already in it from VZW.
    09-13-09 11:19 PM
    If I'm not mistaken; your Tour has to be unlocked and has to have a valid (i.e. activated) SIM card in it.

I could be wrong; so others can feel free to chime in.
    Your pretty much right on. The Tour is a CMDA phone with GSM capability, but VZW only supports CMDA. If you have a VZW SIM in than you'll only get VZW's service. If you have an active ATT SIM, than you'll be able to get on GSM through their cell towers. As the post before me said, if I'm wrong, feel free to correct.
    09-13-09 11:20 PM
    The phone will not work on a GSM network unless you are on a GSM line (not verizon or sprint, basically).
    09-13-09 11:21 PM
    The sim card that comes from the carrier is for when you roam (such as when you get international roaming). Verizon uses a CDMA network, not CDMA/GSM. If you want to use the GSM radio, you'll need to use the sim card from t-mobile or at&t.

If you want to have GSM available just in case, maybe you can buy a pre-paid t-mobile sim card. You'll have to make sure you turn off the feature of auto-switching between cdma and gsm so that your phone doesn't decide to use t-mobile when you have a verizon signal.

Your phone would have to be unlocked (as mentioned above).
    09-13-09 11:23 PM
    From SoCaliTrojan:
    "
    The sim card that comes from the carrier is for when you roam (such as when you get international roaming). Verizon uses a CDMA network, not CDMA/GSM. If you want to use the GSM radio, you'll need to use the sim card from t-mobile or at&t.

If you want to have GSM available just in case, maybe you can buy a pre-paid t-mobile sim card. You'll have to make sure you turn off the feature of auto-switching between cdma and gsm so that your phone doesn't decide to use t-mobile when you have a verizon signal.

Your phone would have to be unlocked (as mentioned above)."

I think that's kind of what I was asking. If I am in an area that is a VZW dead zone, wouldn't that be 'roaming?' If not, then what's the point to the VZW SIM card in the 1st place? And how does one unlock their phone?
    Last edited by shady360; 09-13-09 at 11:28 PM.
    09-13-09 11:24 PM
    So what's the whole point to having a GSM capable phone, or a VZW SIM card then?
    The VZW SIM allows service with VZW towers, and the GSM capability is great because otherwise, you'd be stuck with CMDA no matter what. The Tour has the technology to work on both, so travelers can always be able to connect to a service somehow.
    09-13-09 11:27 PM
    I think that's kind of what I was asking. If I am in an area that is a VZW dead zone, wouldn't that be 'roaming?' If not, then what's the point to the VZW SIM card in the 1st place? And how does one unlock their phone?
    Your data doesn't roam, only voice. and to unlock, call VZW CS and inform them that you'll be traveling on business and need to unlock your phone. They'll guide you through the rest from there.
    09-13-09 11:30 PM
    The point is to be able to use your phone on other GSM networks while overseas.

Billbo.
    09-13-09 11:32 PM
    The VZW SIM allows service with VZW towers, and the GSM capability is great because otherwise, you'd be stuck with CMDA no matter what. The Tour has the technology to work on both, so travelers can always be able to connect to a service somehow.
    Why do I need a VZW SIM to connect to VZW towers if VZW only supports CDMA? And in order to utilize the GSM capability I need to have a GSM carrier's SIM card, and my phone needs to be unlocked? I'm sorry if I'm just missing something.
    09-13-09 11:33 PM
    Why do I need a VZW SIM to connect to VZW towers if VZW only supports CDMA? And in order to utilize the GSM capability I need to have a GSM carrier's SIM card, and my phone needs to be unlocked? I'm sorry if I'm just missing something.
    Not to sound like a je rk, but you've answered your own questions. Your phone can use either CMDA service or GSM. These are data services. To connect to the providers data service, you need SIM cards for those data providers(for this particular phone, its the same with the 8830WE).
    Last edited by Dr.Sadistic; 09-13-09 at 11:40 PM.
    09-13-09 11:37 PM
    I'm sorry, I'm just not getting it. At this point I'm primarily asking about voice calls, not necessarily BB data service. Here's what (I think) I've got so far:

VZW only supports CDMA, so the VZW SIM card is essentially useless/pointless because a SIM card is for a GSM network, which VZW isn't, and won't work on another carrier's GSM network.
    09-13-09 11:47 PM
    Your phone will not switch back and forth on the fly or in mid call. You have to set it to switch, after you have gotten it unlocked and signed up for service with a GSM provider, and replaced the verizon SIM card with that other provider's SIM card.
    09-13-09 11:50 PM
    Wow you would think after 14 posts on this thread the RIGHT answer would be up. So let me help you with it.

The tour is a world phone and yes it is GSM capable and does have a verizon sim card. As others have said if you unlock the SIM and put in an ATT or Tmob sim card you can use the phone on their services.

with that said i know that isnt the point of your question. I believe you want to know if there is no CDMA signal, will the tour jump onto a GSM signal and continue to receive calls on the same verizon account phone number. The answer to that is NO. the VZW sim card is ONLY for use when traveling outside of the united states. Verizon has roaming agreements with many mobile operates including vodafone outside of the united states. Because most other countries do not have CDMA service, that is what the GSM/Sim card is for in the tour. In the united states there is NO point or use of the sim card or GSM with the verizon service.
    09-14-09 02:16 AM
    You have GSM capability for when you go out of the country. Thats what the Verizon sim card is for, it does not work on US GSM companies. You would have to put a T-Mobile or AT&T SIM in there.
    09-14-09 02:47 AM
    Wow you would think after 14 posts on this thread the RIGHT answer would be up. So let me help you with it.

The tour is a world phone and yes it is GSM capable and does have a verizon sim card. As others have said if you unlock the SIM and put in an ATT or Tmob sim card you can use the phone on their services.

with that said i know that isnt the point of your question. I believe you want to know if there is no CDMA signal, will the tour jump onto a GSM signal and continue to receive calls on the same verizon account phone number. The answer to that is NO. the VZW sim card is ONLY for use when traveling outside of the united states. Verizon has roaming agreements with many mobile operates including vodafone outside of the united states. Because most other countries do not have CDMA service, that is what the GSM/Sim card is for in the tour. In the united states there is NO point or use of the sim card or GSM with the verizon service.
    Basically, what this guy said.

If you want a solution where you can receive a phone call on either GSM or CDMA then you can always use Google Voice. Just have both your GSM # and your CDMA number in Google's System.

Just an option I use sometimes.
    09-14-09 07:30 AM
    GSM will work when roaming if no CDMA signal is found. Thats why there have been many posts about the SOS on the home screen. It will work for emergency only.
    09-14-09 07:32 AM
    i think youll have to switch your network from home to global for it to even try to roam onto other networks.. and verizon would have to have a roaming agreement with the gsm carrier in question for your vz sim to authenticate onto it.
    09-14-09 08:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD