I have found a way to crack the screen in a two week old Tour equipped with a Otterbox defender case. The phone fell out the holster and on to the ground because I didnt have it pushed in tight. I then accidently stepped on it and a rock was pushed into the Otterbox screen protecter on the defender case. Now I have a NEW Blackberry Tour with a cracked display screen!! OUCH! Just wanted to let you guys know that there is still a way to break a phone secured in a Otterbox Defender.

Also, I'm having a problem with my Green Dot Tour rebooting out of the blue once or twice a day and when I turn my phone off and back on it cuts off all my connections. The connections will not turn back on until the phone has been through a soft reset. Any Suggestions?
    09-25-09 07:33 AM
    Was it rebooting before or after you dropped it?
    09-25-09 07:43 AM
    Another one of those I wish I would've listened to g3kewl and just got bb insurance...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-25-09 07:46 AM
    I do have insurance and yes it started happening the day after I bought it!
    09-25-09 07:58 AM
    That's certainly unfortunate that you cracked the screen on the phone.

It almost makes me spring to get insurance. >_>
    09-25-09 09:59 AM
    return it for the warranty. I'm not sure they'll accept it now. Since it was doing this before the rock it should be covered by the warranty. I'd call them customer support and tell them what's going on, and see if they'll send you a replacement. Otherwise there is always insurance.
    09-25-09 10:47 AM
    Seems replaceable.
    09-25-09 10:55 AM
    Ofcourse its going to break if you step on it! But I bet the case protected it when it fell.
    09-25-09 12:50 PM
    Sounds like normal wear and tear.
    09-25-09 01:05 PM
    Bond J,

I'm not denying that the Otterbox doesnt protect your phone. I read all about the otterbox before I purchased it and everyone talked about how you couldnt break your phone if it was secured in the defender case. All i'm saying is there is a way so be careful!! I wasnt trashing the design or quality of the case.
    09-25-09 01:17 PM
    I thought about your loss during my hike today - rugged terrain and my Otter'ed Tour. I used it with gpslogger to track the hike.

What I've done is remove the spring clip part of the holster and use the remaining holster as a kind of case - that protects the screen and makes it less bulky in my pocket or wherever I carry it.

Obviously, when removed from the holster "shell" it is still vulnerable.
    09-25-09 05:55 PM
    I know this will sound over protective-but when I know Im about to get dirty/wet/whatever-Ill call verizon and change to a old stand by phone I have in my car. When Im done, I swap back. Verizon does not charge anything to do this-and it has saved me a few times. A cheap throw down can be picked up on ebay easy.
    09-25-09 09:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD