You're slightly off Willy. If you use Visual Voicemail from VZW it's $2.99mo. With the YouMail app on VZW you have Visual Voicemail for free on your BlackBerry as well as access via the Web or instead you can call the YouMail phone number like traditional voicemail (with more options though).

Otherwise, I think you're pretty spot on. Setup is recommended via the Web. (Actually, I think it's required.)

~X

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    If this is the case, why would anyone pay for verizons visual voice mail when YouMail is free???
    07-31-09 07:29 AM
    You guys are no help at all! I have both an iPhone and a Tour. Obviously, I can't afford to keep both. I have about 8 days to decide.

lol!

Let us know what you decide! If you don't post it somewhere in this thread, please PM me w/ your final decision. I'd LOVE to have the wifi, browser, and games of the iPhone, but ATT's not that great in my area. In the end, priorities will probably outweigh fun in my case.
    07-31-09 07:38 AM
    I just got Fierce Towers. Its a game kinda like bubble defense. Kinda fun. Im waiting for a good Kindle App to read my ebooks. I'll be all set. I also personally like Quick SMS, and Isms to make texting easier. Its fun for me.
    Mobipocket

Mobipocket.com - eBooks and ebook reader for your PC, PDA and Smartphone: Palm, Windows mobile, Symbian, Blackberry, or PocketPC. for the desktop version.

All my phones have this app on it and I've bought more books from their Online store then I should of. And it reads all kinds of formats as well.
    07-31-09 07:46 AM
    You guys are no help at all! I have both an iPhone and a Tour. Obviously, I can't afford to keep both. I have about 8 days to decide.

If you prefer a great smartphone that is also an average entertainment device, keep the Tour.
    If you prefer a great entertainment device that is also an average smartphone, keep the iPhone.

That would be my advice.
    07-31-09 08:41 AM
    That's pretty well put. As much as I'd enjoy Safari, I'm sure I'd be quite frustrated w/ the calendar.
    07-31-09 10:41 AM
    If this is the case, why would anyone pay for verizons visual voice mail when YouMail is free???
    Because no one told them about YouMail or they're on BES and they're not "allowed" by their BES admin to install it.

~X

07-31-09 04:25 PM
    You're slightly off Willy. If you use Visual Voicemail from VZW it's $2.99mo. With the YouMail app on VZW you have Visual Voicemail for free on your BlackBerry as well as access via the Web or instead you can call the YouMail phone number like traditional voicemail (with more options though).

Otherwise, I think you're pretty spot on. Setup is recommended via the Web. (Actually, I think it's required.)

~X

Do you actually have YouMail? When I click on the message where it says, "Do you want to simply read a transcription of your voicemail?" or whatever it is, it brings me to a webpage that has read it-saver for .99 a month, and read it-select for 6.99 a month? How are you getting this for free? I want it for free! It also says on the select one that you only get the first 10-15 seconds of your message. Let me know thanks a bunch!

Unless I'm really just confused? I thought visual voicemail was when you get a written transcription of the voicemail? Maybe I'm thinking of a different thing.
    Last edited by willyg44; 07-31-09 at 05:08 PM.
    07-31-09 05:06 PM
    That's pretty well put. As much as I'd enjoy Safari, I'm sure I'd be quite frustrated w/ the calendar.
    The calendar? What a random thing to be frustrated with... as far as I know, it has the same basic functionality as ours.
    07-31-09 05:22 PM
    Installed Youmail, it's pretty cool! Instructions were pretty straight forward.
    07-31-09 06:17 PM
    Here's something for you iDrones....

What happens when you crack your precious screen because you pushed too hard making your 10 year old friends pee their pants with your fart apps?

You pay full retail for a replacement.

Point Blackberry.

07-31-09 10:15 PM
    Do you actually have YouMail? When I click on the message where it says, "Do you want to simply read a transcription of your voicemail?" or whatever it is, it brings me to a webpage that has read it-saver for .99 a month, and read it-select for 6.99 a month? How are you getting this for free? I want it for free! It also says on the select one that you only get the first 10-15 seconds of your message. Let me know thanks a bunch!

Unless I'm really just confused? I thought visual voicemail was when you get a written transcription of the voicemail? Maybe I'm thinking of a different thing.
    I think "visual voicemail" can be taken the wrong way it was intended. When Apple first announced it a few years back for the iPhone I was confused too.

The way it works on the iPhone & VZW's implementation are the same. You have an app on your phone that let's you "visually" see your voicemail. Rather than calling your voicemail & listening to it in the order it was received, using the app you can see who called you and listen in any order you want. Hence Visual Voicemail.

YouMail (for a fee) will go a step further & provide text transcripts in addition to the free visual voicemail. I have no interest on seeing how well YouMail can convert a spoken message to text (nor do I want to spend the money). In addition, you can access all of your voicemails through their Web site via computer, archive, forward and other features I've forgotten.

The cool thing, if you have a BlackBerry, is that from within the app you can upload all your contacts which allows totally personal messages for each contact (there might be grouping too but I'm not sure). You can even set it so that a person calling from a # cannot even leave you a message. They hear your custom outgoing message then CLICK!

So, in short, visual does not necessarily mean you have to see the actual message (which in YouMail terms would be "transcripts"). You just "see" your voicemail "audio files" & do with them as you please at (listen, forward, save, skip, delete etc.).

Don't pay for transcripts if you don't need them. I'm sure there are professional reasons someone would need them (however I can't think of any LOL) but probably useless for most of us.

Hope this helps Willy.

~X

Last edited by xwera43; 07-31-09 at 10:34 PM.
    07-31-09 10:31 PM
    The calendar? What a random thing to be frustrated with... as far as I know, it has the same basic functionality as ours.
    I know right? But the extra options on my BB like a recurring event every M, W, and F can be done on the device itself instead of doing it on a computer and syncing. It's the little things like that they left out that would bug me.
    07-31-09 10:37 PM
    Getting back to what the OP asked for, one of my favorite apps is BB Scanner, which allows you to listen to fire and police radio traffic. As far as I know, there is nothing like it on the Iphone.

I also use YouMail, which is a great app. I get a text & an email, and I go into the YouMail app, download my message and listen to it. The premium service is a written version of your voicemail, which I suppose could be cool. Like Pandora, where you get 40 hours for free each month but need to pay 99 cents to $3 a month for unlimited listening, YouMail is free on the basic level.

Beyond160 is a cool app for us CDMA phone users that can't write a text message under 160 characters. I read on a Blackberry Review site about a program called Ringtone Shuffler that plays a different ringtone every time someone calls, not to be confused with setting up a ringtone for a given caller. That might have a cool factor to it. I just got Quicklaunch and that's a convenience more so than a cool factor. I am patiently waiting for IBerry Theme to come to the Tour, so I get the Iphone look.

I tried once to read a book on the Ipod Touch, which has a lot more screen real estate to it than a BB Tour, so even though I wanted to get MobiPocket, I question whether reading a book on the device is feasible.
    08-01-09 12:28 AM
    Crackberry mobile launcher app.

08-01-09 02:42 AM
    Here's something for you iDrones....

What happens when you crack your precious screen because you pushed too hard making your 10 year old friends pee their pants with your fart apps?

You pay full retail for a replacement.

Point Blackberry.

No you don't you pay to get replaced my buddy cracked his when he dropped it and payed $100 to replace :-o but beats full retail

08-01-09 04:48 AM
    Mobipocket

Mobipocket.com - eBooks and ebook reader for your PC, PDA and Smartphone: Palm, Windows mobile, Symbian, Blackberry, or PocketPC. for the desktop version.

All my phones have this app on it and I've bought more books from their Online store then I should of. And it reads all kinds of formats as well.
    Cool thanks. Any way to get books purchased on amazon to be read on this reader? Thanks in advance.

08-01-09 06:19 PM
    I think "visual voicemail" can be taken the wrong way it was intended. When Apple first announced it a few years back for the iPhone I was confused too.

The way it works on the iPhone & VZW's implementation are the same. You have an app on your phone that let's you "visually" see your voicemail. Rather than calling your voicemail & listening to it in the order it was received, using the app you can see who called you and listen in any order you want. Hence Visual Voicemail.

YouMail (for a fee) will go a step further & provide text transcripts in addition to the free visual voicemail. I have no interest on seeing how well YouMail can convert a spoken message to text (nor do I want to spend the money). In addition, you can access all of your voicemails through their Web site via computer, archive, forward and other features I've forgotten.

The cool thing, if you have a BlackBerry, is that from within the app you can upload all your contacts which allows totally personal messages for each contact (there might be grouping too but I'm not sure). You can even set it so that a person calling from a # cannot even leave you a message. They hear your custom outgoing message then CLICK!

So, in short, visual does not necessarily mean you have to see the actual message (which in YouMail terms would be "transcripts"). You just "see" your voicemail "audio files" & do with them as you please at (listen, forward, save, skip, delete etc.).

Don't pay for transcripts if you don't need them. I'm sure there are professional reasons someone would need them (however I can't think of any LOL) but probably useless for most of us.

Hope this helps Willy.

~X

Hey thanks a lot!! That clears it all up, I had the terms confused.
    08-01-09 06:22 PM
    TELUS customers (like me!) were definitely confused hearing "visual voicemail" for the 1st time for 2 reasons.
    1. TELUS is CDMA and has never had an iPhone.
    2. TELUS started offering a optional feature last year unfortunately called Visual Voicemail which is the equivalent to YouMail transcript feature

08-01-09 10:28 PM
    Having both an iPod touch and a BlackBerry, that's +1 for Safari and +1 for the Calendar. Other than gaming and productivity (OmniFocus > all), BlackBerry wins the rest.

Keep the BlackBerry and get an iPod touch, IMO.
    08-01-09 11:49 PM
    Am I missing something? Are there parties to compare whose smartphone is cooler and does more stuff? I must be getting old All mine does is what the box says it does! Sends emails and stuff!
    08-01-09 11:52 PM
    Glad I could help.

~X

08-02-09 01:12 AM
    Keep the BlackBerry and get an iPod touch, IMO.
    I would almost probably do that if I knew the Touch could playback FLAC. The sound quality from that device out to a nice amp/headphone would make for a nice little portable listening station.

Am I missing something? Are there parties to compare whose smartphone is cooler and does more stuff?
    Yes and yes. I get together w/ folks from time to time to check out gadgets and play computer games. They are called LAN parties and filled w/ brownies, cookies, and Mountain Dew.
    08-02-09 01:34 AM
    The catch I've found with Youmail is that you are charged a minute of airtime every time the system answers a call, which if you're a heavy user like me, adds up quickly. As a workaround, I added the Youmail number to one of my friends and family numbers and all is well now.
    08-02-09 02:16 PM
    I have been playing the CRAP out of Fierce Towers lately. Also, Bolt if you don't have it already. It makes forum browsing feel better. Although I do wish it would support caching.
    08-02-09 03:52 PM
    TELUS customers (like me!) were definitely confused hearing "visual voicemail" for the 1st time for 2 reasons.
    1. TELUS is CDMA and has never had an iPhone.
    2. TELUS started offering a optional feature last year unfortunately called Visual Voicemail which is the equivalent to YouMail transcript feature

Yeah, clearly a poor choice to name a feature to hear audio voicemails IMO.

~X

08-04-09 02:51 AM
94 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD