OK, some weird stuff is happening here guys - I just discovered this...

i recently installed a "file explorer" on my blackberry tour smart phone. this file explorer allows me to do just that, explore my files on my phone. I just received this phone as a replacement, as my old tour was devoured by my dog.

upon searching through my files I found a series of files that were all 5mb, and they were all an HOUR long recording of my voice and whatever went on around me within that HOUR. At first, I figured, oh what the ****, these are some recordings i made. Upon listening to them, I start hearing some stuff going on that I actually recalled, and there was no reason that I had my phone in my pocket, or even on record, or even unlocked for that matter...

so here I sit, right now, BEWILDERED....

were talking over 40 hours of random recordings of my days...

you have GOT TO BE KIDDING ME...

someone please enlighten me here...

i REALLY think i am being bugged by someone, as there is no f'n way that this is happening as a coincidence...

P.S. I also recently installed "BUDDY GUARD" which is a program that allows me to send an email to my phone that locks, alerts, erases my phone, locates my phone when I prompt it to do so. I am having strong convictions that this program might include this SPY feature, as I am reading some other software has had something similar...

Free download turns BlackBerry into remote bugging device • The Register

what do you guys think??? I DO NOT appreciate being spied on. My girlfriend is sitting right next to me, and I really dont think she has anyhting to do with it... she is helping me research what it could be...
    03-02-10 03:17 AM
    You know that the Blackberry OS comes with a file explorer built in right? From the media application you hit your menu key and select Explore.

As for your problem, do you maybe have a softkey programmed to launched the voice recorder?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-02-10 03:51 AM
    I'd do a wipe and reinstall an OS of your choice, omitting the programs you think it may be. If you want, reinstall them one at a time, wait a bit and see when the recordings start again...

I wouldn't be cool with that at all...

03-02-10 05:01 AM

As for your problem, do you maybe have a softkey programmed to launched the voice recorder?
    I would bet on this being the problem....
    03-02-10 07:09 AM
    I think it's a softkey or something triggered to record an audio memo. I highly doubt anyone is spying on you.
    03-02-10 08:14 AM
    Bb's are pretty secure, im with everybody else here you may have a convience key set to audio recorder or it may be a freaky coincidence.

Who knows.

*paranoia is alive and well*

j/k
    03-02-10 08:30 AM
    I would bet on this being the problem....
    I bet on this also.
    03-02-10 12:31 PM
    I've experienced this same thing. Only my instances are intermittent and I discover it when attempting to use the media player and it notifies you that you cannot use media player when VR is active. Only I didn't launch the VR. I then look to discover that there unintended recordings.

I have not yet discovered which key or key combination causes this.

Prob not someone spying on you if that helps.
    03-02-10 01:02 PM
    Bb's are pretty secure, im with everybody else here you may have a convience key set to audio recorder or it may be a freaky coincidence.

Who knows.

*paranoia is alive and well*

j/k
    i like ur sig
    03-02-10 01:26 PM
    If someone was spying on you, why would the recordings be on your device? Wouldn't they want the recordings?
    03-02-10 02:37 PM
    If you need to find out what's running and if your device has spyware, download Kisses.

03-02-10 03:22 PM
    ok guys - as far as the "soft key theory" is concerned, that was the 1st thing I thought of. Unfortunately I have my soft keys set up for my note pad and my camcorder - no voice recorder.

I am really starting to think it is one of the 3rd party apps that I have installed on my phone. I have strong convictions that it was "buddyguard" as already that program does some crazy stuff, AND its FREE which makes me wonder - are these guys stealing live voice data and selling it to certain firms? In this day in age of technology, i do not doubt it for one bit..

i looked through all of my recordings and noticed that they record each hour. once an hour is up, then it starts a new hour - so on and so fourth...

i also believe that the information could very well be stored in one folder, and then randomly sent to whatever company over the air when I least expect it... you CANNOT tell me that this is not possible..
    03-02-10 03:35 PM
    ok guys - as far as the "soft key theory" is concerned, that was the 1st thing I thought of. Unfortunately I have my soft keys set up for my note pad and my camcorder - no voice recorder.

I am really starting to think it is one of the 3rd party apps that I have installed on my phone. I have strong convictions that it was "buddyguard" as already that program does some crazy stuff, AND its FREE which makes me wonder - are these guys stealing live voice data and selling it to certain firms? In this day in age of technology, i do not doubt it for one bit..

i looked through all of my recordings and noticed that they record each hour. once an hour is up, then it starts a new hour - so on and so fourth...

i also believe that the information could very well be stored in one folder, and then randomly sent to whatever company over the air when I least expect it... you CANNOT tell me that this is not possible..

Yes, but if it really was a program doing it, dont you think they would have designed it to delete the recording file after it was sent off somewhere? Why leave evidence behind for you to find?
    03-02-10 03:44 PM
    Yes, but if it really was a program doing it, dont you think they would have designed it to delete the recording file after it was sent off somewhere? Why leave evidence behind for you to find?

good point...
    03-02-10 03:50 PM
    Lmao...noone is spying on you. Relax!! What are the file extensions? IE: What type of file are these 'recordings' exactly? And under what directory are the files being stored under? Besides "BodyGuard", what other apps do you have installed?

I use shrink-a-os to remove the VR, as its another unnecessary app taking up space for me personally.

03-02-10 03:57 PM
    Also, I don't think you fully understand the article you referenced. What this app does, is esentially turns the BlackBerry into a listening device. Someone would have to place the phone near you, and then call that phone from another phone, which would give them the ability to listen in to anything that's happening nearby from where they placed the phone. The same thing can be accomplished by picking up a BB, setting it to silent, and then "auto-answer" calls...I could put my BB in a Starbucks store, set it to silent and auto-answer, then call it from a payphone, and listen-in on people inside the Starbucks store. This is esentially what the app is doing, in the article you referenced. It wasn't very well explained in the article.

03-02-10 04:25 PM
    National Geographic has a revealing article on the subject.

Is your mobile phone spying on you? - NatGeo News Watch
    04-18-10 09:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD