i was in the mall yesterday wandering around and I got tired of my trackball refusing to go left while i was trying to type emails, so i took it to a sprint store and let them know about the issue. 20 minutes later they gave me a brand new (in box) phone. The new tour is almost 100% different (quality wise) from the one i originally received. the trackball WORKS, the battery door does not budge, and the boot up is about 3 minutes long. there is also no access light coming through the keyboard. night and day seriously!

wtf?

why would the ship the early adopters crap phones then hide the good ones in the stores? i'm not really all that pissed because i visited the store on a whim with only my phone. i now have double the accessories that were included with the phone. but i still think is was asshoelick to send out crap phones to die hard folks and sell good ones in the stores.
    08-10-09 01:15 PM
    I don't know that they purposefully shipped the "early adopters crap phones". Remember how much we BBers want our stuff, we almost bust down the gates of RIM to go in and take new devices--we beg for devices to be released. They gave it to us, then realized there were some problems, so they fixed them. Why are you so upset when the problem was taken care of???
    08-10-09 01:20 PM
    I have a new one coming. Is yours mexico #? what did you get
    08-10-09 01:21 PM
    I have a launch day tour and have had none of the issues that most people are complaining of. My battery door has a little bit of play, but my unit doesn't seem to be affected by the other issues.
    08-10-09 01:22 PM
    I don't know that they purposefully shipped the "early adopters crap phones". Remember how much we BBers want our stuff, we almost bust down the gates of RIM to go in and take new devices--we beg for devices to be released. They gave it to us, then realized there were some problems, so they fixed them. Why are you so upset when the problem was taken care of???
    i'm not upset. it's just a general wtf
    08-10-09 01:37 PM
    I have a new one coming. Is yours mexico #? what did you get
    it's a mexico 5
    08-10-09 01:38 PM
    people have general wtf's about everything on this site. Here's a wtf: you got a new device that you're happy with and you're still complaining about the old one!
    08-10-09 01:39 PM
    there is also no access light coming through the keyboard. night and day seriously!
    this has been one of my biggest gripes. you mean there is no light leaking through the keyboard or the buttons?
    it's a mexico 5
    Cool thanks
    I have a launch day tour and have had none of the issues that most people are complaining of. My battery door has a little bit of play, but my unit doesn't seem to be affected by the other issues.
    you were somewhat lucky then.

people that say, "oh why are you X or Y" didn't get jacked up phones. if you get a hold of a solid tour you'll understand. there is a huge difference in quaity between my original and my new one. the CSR even said something about the difference while she was activating the new one.
    08-10-09 01:44 PM
    this has been one of my biggest gripes. you mean there is no light leaking through the keyboard or the buttons?

yeah, no leaking light. that really made the phone look cheap.
    08-10-09 01:45 PM
    people have general wtf's about everything on this site. Here's a wtf: you got a new device that you're happy with and you're still complaining about the old one!
    the point is, he had to go through the trouble of dealing with the old phone and exchange it for a new one for RIM to get it right. you should get a top notch phone on the first try, not the 2nd.

anyway, glad you were able to get a phone that works as expected.
    08-10-09 01:46 PM
    dude, you can shut up. i don't care how you feel. kick rocks

the point is, he had to go through the trouble of dealing with the old phone and exchange it for a new one for RIM to get it right. you should get a top notch phone on the first try, not the 2nd.

anyway, glad you were able to get a phone that works as expected.
    Exactly! thanks man
    08-10-09 01:47 PM
    2nd - 3rd batch must be in circulation.
    I received a solid build 6 days ago ,its night and day compared to either four i owned.

Keyboards much tighter.
    Zero screen ripple.
    Sound quality is equal to 8330.
    Solid 1XEV
    Battery door tight.
    Battery stronger-less charging needed
    device stays cool during heavy use.
    No lag whatsoever
    Trackball very responsive for now.

Build - Mexico 5 (004)
    Last edited by Slingbox; 08-10-09 at 02:00 PM.
    08-10-09 01:53 PM
    The thing is, you can find this from someone for every phone.

person x had to return 4 bolds or 4 pre's to get one that had no issues, etc.

The question is, is there some sort of highly common failure rate across the board.
    08-10-09 01:58 PM
    Like I have said before...this is microsofts fault. They are the ones that started releasing technology prematurely and then letting the public at large do their QA....then release a patch. Now its common practice to release the latest and greatest when its "almost" ready and let us sort it out. My advice with any new release...wait 6 months, then if it seems ok buy it.

Just my $.02

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-09 02:14 PM
    I have my 5th Tour (VZW) coming on Tuesday. I am going to keep exchanging them until I get a good one. I am not going to settle for a half *** manufactured phone.
    08-10-09 02:32 PM
    do you have light leak from under the keys or buttons?

2nd - 3rd batch must be in circulation.
    I received a solid build 6 days ago ,its night and day compared to either four i owned.

Keyboards much tighter.
    Zero screen ripple.
    Sound quality is equal to 8330.
    Solid 1XEV
    Battery door tight.
    Battery stronger-less charging needed
    device stays cool during heavy use.
    No lag whatsoever
    Trackball very responsive for now.

Build - Mexico 5 (004)
    08-10-09 02:42 PM
    do you have light leak from under the keys or buttons?
    good question I never checked till now.
    No light leak.
    08-10-09 02:47 PM
    i also received a new Tour about 3 days ago, a lot different then the first one in a very good way...

I'm surprised how fast Rim made changes to there phones when being made...I'm impressed
    08-10-09 02:51 PM
    good question I never checked till now.
    No light leak.
    When you say "no light leak," does that mean no light whatsoever? Not even a little bit?
    08-10-09 02:57 PM
    I did the same just got tired of fighting that trackball and went into Sprint and did the exchange, 1oo% different phone. But both were Mexico5 phones, so go figure......
    08-10-09 03:00 PM
    I did the same just got tired of fighting that trackball and went into Sprint and did the exchange, 1oo% different phone. But both were Mexico5 phones, so go figure......
    Do you have leaking light?
    08-10-09 03:01 PM
    When you say "no light leak," does that mean no light whatsoever? Not even a little bit?
    i know of my 3 day old tour that there is about a 10% light leak around the send and end key, but you can only see that light leak in a pitch black room
    I've had my Tour since the day it came out and have had no issues.
68 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD