Long time VZW customer here, and I just wanted to express how much I dislike my Tour. I've had three different Tours, and had nothing but problems. Let me outline a few:

1. Each phone I've had takes 10-12 minutes to boot up (very unacceptable)
    2. The battery on my first phone drained in 2 hrs, even when in standby
    3. The trackball on the first two phones wouldn't move horizontally unless I feathered it
    4. My newest phone is INCREDIBLY laggy. When I start typing a text msg, the clock icon comes up after every letter or two. When I open an application, the clock comes up for 30-45 seconds. I've tried upgrading the OS to the newest version (.61) and yet still, the phone lags.

I've called VZW several times, and Ihave been to the stores on multiple occasions. Each time, a rep just tells me they can replace the Tour, but not give me a completely different device. I got my original Tour back in September, and since day 1, I have never held a Tour in my hand that works flawlessly (or even close). Today, the VZW rep told me that I COULD get a new (and different) device, but only if I wanted to exercise my early upgrade option, which would sacrifice my new-every-two, which is scheduled to become available in late January. The rep told me that it's VZW policy to allow a customer to switch devices after multiple phones have been replaced, HOWEVER, if a customer has an available upgrade, VZW will force the customer to use that rather than simply replacing the device for free without a contract extension.

I am really upset by this logic. I've had this phone for two months and had nothing but problems. Why should I exercise my early upgrade, forgo my new-every-two (which includes a $100 discount), and be forced into a 2 year contract extension when VZW is not resolving the issue at hand? What happens if I exercise my upgrade, and the next phone I get has issues too? Then I'd be stuck with VZW with no upgrade available to switch phones.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to get Verizon to let me switch my hardware to another device?
    11-15-09 06:11 PM
    I think you said that they would replace your Tour with another Tour without exercising your early upgrade option, right? If so, I would go that route. You appear to have had incredibly bad luck with your Tours. My first one had the trackball issue, but no other issues. My 2nd Tour has NO issues. I think your luck has to change!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by WayneN; 11-15-09 at 08:15 PM. Reason: typo
    11-15-09 06:25 PM
    Go ahead and do the new ever 2 upgrade, it's going to be the last 100. you get on that deal. I was told they were dropping the new every 2 100.00 deal for a 30.00 deal.
    11-15-09 06:33 PM
    Go ahead and do the new ever 2 upgrade, it's going to be the last 100. you get on that deal. I was told they were dropping the new every 2 100.00 deal for a 30.00 deal.
    I think you misread my original post. My new every two isn't available until late January, if I want a phone that works - something that's not a Tour - then I can upgrade provided I'm willing to forgo my new-every-two in favor of an early upgrade. So basically, I lose the $100 rebate and I have to extend my VZW contract for 2 years, even though they were the ones that have sent my several Tours that don't work. Makes zero sense.
    11-15-09 06:45 PM
    You should get a Japanese cell phone. If the Blackberry is a smartphone, Japanese cell phones are ultra smartphones.
    11-15-09 08:23 PM
    Im not sure if you have use a BB before but when you are done using a program make sure you close it(using the BB key and going down to close or sometimes exit) or use the back Key (between the trackball and the end key.) this will keep the program from running in the background and using valuable memory. there should be only a few things running in the BG. I have Browser, BBM, Homescreen, Phone, and Messages. to see what is running hold down the BB Key(Between the send key and the trackball.) my wife was having the same problems when she wanted to text or check emails. i looked and every program on her phone was running in the background.
    11-15-09 08:26 PM
    I guess that I have been very lucky. If you decide to ditch your tour, try the droid. I played with one today and android is a very fast operating system. Especially on that phone. However the email cant touch blackberry's push email.
    11-15-09 09:10 PM
    10-12minute boots on all three phones? Abatery draining in two hours? You sure you aren't exaggerating? I've had my share of issues as well, but most if not all Tours on shelves at this point are solid. Yes, there were serious issues at launch, however they've all been worked out. If lag is that serious of a problem-read the threads here and you'll discover some tips on how to properly use a blackberry. Even on 4.7 I've never seen lag that bad, if any. My suggestion to you would be to download and install either .230 or a hybrid. This will solve all of your problems. I do agree that VZW needs to supply you with a phone that works as advertised - and if you don't want to upgrade the OS, you should raise **** until you get a phone that you want (that worksas advertised!) Without using your new every 2...that is just unacceptable.

11-15-09 10:02 PM
    Sorry to hear you hate your tour...i wish you luck with whatever phone you get

11-15-09 10:03 PM
    Long time VZW customer here, and I just wanted to express how much I dislike my Tour. I've had three different Tours, and had nothing but problems. Let me outline a few:

1. Each phone I've had takes 10-12 minutes to boot up (very unacceptable)
    2. The battery on my first phone drained in 2 hrs, even when in standby
    3. The trackball on the first two phones wouldn't move horizontally unless I feathered it
    4. My newest phone is INCREDIBLY laggy. When I start typing a text msg, the clock icon comes up after every letter or two. When I open an application, the clock comes up for 30-45 seconds. I've tried upgrading the OS to the newest version (.61) and yet still, the phone lags.

I've called VZW several times, and Ihave been to the stores on multiple occasions. Each time, a rep just tells me they can replace the Tour, but not give me a completely different device. I got my original Tour back in September, and since day 1, I have never held a Tour in my hand that works flawlessly (or even close). Today, the VZW rep told me that I COULD get a new (and different) device, but only if I wanted to exercise my early upgrade option, which would sacrifice my new-every-two, which is scheduled to become available in late January. The rep told me that it's VZW policy to allow a customer to switch devices after multiple phones have been replaced, HOWEVER, if a customer has an available upgrade, VZW will force the customer to use that rather than simply replacing the device for free without a contract extension.

I am really upset by this logic. I've had this phone for two months and had nothing but problems. Why should I exercise my early upgrade, forgo my new-every-two (which includes a $100 discount), and be forced into a 2 year contract extension when VZW is not resolving the issue at hand? What happens if I exercise my upgrade, and the next phone I get has issues too? Then I'd be stuck with VZW with no upgrade available to switch phones.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to get Verizon to let me switch my hardware to another device?
    I too am running into these issues. March I joined vzw, I got 2 Curve 8330's had no issue with the first one, except dust behind the screen which they told me to replace, had 2 more Curves with various lockups and Trackball issues, they sent me a Tour. good phone, horrid track balls have had 2 in the last month, last one the sent me the camera doesnt work, called tonight they are sending me another brand new one because the warehouses are sold out. spoke with the verizon rep and she said she could look in the matrix and see what else i could get. came back on and said she was sending me a new tour, I called back an hour later to see if they could just send me a gen 1 storm for touch screen, figured it would help us both out. instead of helping me she said she could SELL me a storm or storm 2 for COST of the 1 yr price. so i am stuck with a brand spanking new tour. but they wont let me return it to the store and pay the dif. anyone have any ideas? please help.
    any vzw reps out there?? I am beginning to feel like i am stuck...

ps. sorry about the rant just really pissed off.
    11-15-09 10:59 PM
    10-12minute boots on all three phones? Abatery draining in two hours? You sure you aren't exaggerating? I've had my share of issues as well, but most if not all Tours on shelves at this point are solid. Yes, there were serious issues at launch, however they've all been worked out. If lag is that serious of a problem-read the threads here and you'll discover some tips on how to properly use a blackberry. Even on 4.7 I've never seen lag that bad, if any. My suggestion to you would be to download and install either .230 or a hybrid. This will solve all of your problems. I do agree that VZW needs to supply you with a phone that works as advertised - and if you don't want to upgrade the OS, you should raise **** until you get a phone that you want (that worksas advertised!) Without using your new every 2...that is just unacceptable.

He isnt that far off, of all of my Tours I have had, boot up at the 10 min window. upgraded one to 5.0.0.230 shaved it down to 7 min ish... ASA battery life is concerned, I stream slacker all day at work, email/text/bbm all day and my bat is at 30% when i arrive home...
    11-15-09 11:03 PM
    I think you misread my original post. My new every two isn't available until late January, if I want a phone that works - something that's not a Tour - then I can upgrade provided I'm willing to forgo my new-every-two in favor of an early upgrade. So basically, I lose the $100 rebate and I have to extend my VZW contract for 2 years, even though they were the ones that have sent my several Tours that don't work. Makes zero sense.
    Oh I understood, You can either 1. keep swappingout the phone for 2 more months or do the early upgrade. I did miread part of your statement, I understand they will not let you have your 100.00 every 2 if you upgrade early (that sucks). My time is worth more than the 100.00 "loss", I have to have my phonw for work and I'd do the early upgrade and loose the bill before I'd spend the next 2 months an hour at a time in verizon's office or waiting for ups/fedup to bring me a new phone.
    11-16-09 04:50 AM
    10-12 minute bootup time? Wow, just wow. I exchanged 2 tours early on due to the trackball issues, but never did I have bootup times that long... the longest was 7 minutes. Despite this I would keep exchanging until I get a working Tour (given that most of the newer builds are very solid hardware wise), but if you're really PO'd and frustrated take a hit and get another phone.
    11-16-09 06:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD