Am I one of the few that still loves the Tour? All this hype about the Bold 9650 has people hating their Tours, but I still love mine. I don't even think I would trade it for the Bold at this point. Is there anyone else out there with me?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-06-10 10:18 AM
    Not me. I'm rapidly tiring of the BB OS itself, the lack of a good browser, the continual bouts of freezing for up to a minute for no apparent reason, as well as the battery pulls, 8-14min reboot times, poor signal stength/signal fluctuation/being unable to hold a 3G connection, and so forth.

Sorry to be a pessimist, but Tour has helped me decide to dabble with something other than BB for my next device...

Last edited by the_sandman_454; 09-06-10 at 10:51 AM.
    09-06-10 10:45 AM
    I've had my Tour since it was released. Never had a problem, it is my first BB. My wife was so impressed that we got her an 8530. My trackball sometime doesn't like to move to the right, but i have yet to get it fixed. I fly in the military and my phone goes through quite a beating and it's still holding up really great. My only complaint is that the Tour no longer gets any love from Sprint or RIM.
    09-06-10 10:51 AM
    Ive had the Tour since release, & since then I've gone through 4. I cant say I'm ready to give up on my Tour, and go Torch.
    09-06-10 10:53 AM
    Its really a cosmetic thing which is why I don't get the bold. If you look hard enough at the bold, the optic pad is way to big for it, they even curved and scrunched the top keys.

To me its kinda annoying.

09-06-10 11:19 AM
    I'm fine with my Tour for now. I'd like to see a generational improvement going forward, but the BlackBerry works just fine for me. My wifa also still loves hers, especially as it was an upgrade from the 8130 Pearl. Ours have both been solid builds, trackballs doing fine with some mild cleaning and basic maintenance, but I do need to up to a better OS. .624 is pretty battery-hungry.

09-06-10 11:29 AM
    I have both... my business phone is a Tour, and I just got the Bold a week ago when my old Pearl finally stopped working, after years of use (was my daughter's first BB, then she handed it down to me to get me started). I've been fortunate to not have had any real problems with my Tour, so don't really see many major differences yet. I know that the upgrades (more memory, WiFi) are probably more meaningful to others than to me, since I don't rely on my phones much for web browsing, videos, and the like. I use my phones primarily for phone calls, business and personal e-mail, and occasional internet, so I know I'm not really fully using all the "features."

I do find that the Bold doesn't have the battery life of my old Tour... barely makes it through a whole day, while my Tour, which usually gets more use during a typical work day, can go for two days or more, most of the time, without needing a charge.
    09-06-10 11:44 AM
    All these issues that people have with 8-14 minute re-boot times, and lagging, and all that. I don't have. My Tour reboots in 5 minutes, never lags. I have yet to see the hourglass icon on my Tour. I love this phone. And agreed that the trackpad looks too big for the Bold, there's just something about it that makes it look awkward.

09-06-10 11:52 AM
    As we've discussed in a Bold thread, what looks awkward about the track pad is the fact that it's looks "crooked" when you view the phone from above. The rounded square frame is visibly tilted a tiny bit, downward and to the right. The trackpad surface itself is also not level, and is slightly angled to the right.

Some have assumed this to be a defect, but I doubt that there would be hundreds of thousands of these phones shipped, to all the major carriers, without *someone* noticing, if this truly was a quality control issue. I'm thinking that it's supposed to be a design feature to actually allow more efficient contact. Figuring that there are more right-handed than left-handed folks among the user population, this slightly angled positioning of the track pad actually makes for better contact for the thumb, when the phone is held in the right hand.

Still, it looks "off," and would have made for a smoother visual appearance if the track pad had been round, so that the corners wouldn't look misaligned with the rest of the face plate.
    09-06-10 12:07 PM
    Love my Tour, but wish they'd throw us a bone and give us some kind of meaningful OS upgrade. Funny, for a while there were non Tours on the VZW site, then they popped up again. If they sell something, they should continue to support it through upgrades.

Have mine for over a year and had one replacement last oct due to trackball suddenly crapping out, but its been a great phone. Just show us some love with the OS!

09-06-10 12:16 PM
    All these issues that people have with 8-14 minute re-boot times, and lagging, and all that. I don't have. My Tour reboots in 5 minutes, never lags. I have yet to see the hourglass icon on my Tour. I love this phone. And agreed that the trackpad looks too big for the Bold, there's just something about it that makes it look awkward.

Do you have any apps on yours? I have both MSN and Yahoo messengers, Facebook, a signal application and now Google maps. I had reboot time issues on my previous Tour as well (sent that back for signal issues, and now the refurb they sent seems to suffer from the same)...

Empty device, no data, booted in ~2.5min. Loaded my data back and that jumped to ~4 min. Still very excessive, but way better than my original Tour's best ever of around 10. I installed my few apps and now I'm at 12 min on average. Unacceptable by any stretch of the imagination...

Do you ever use BB groups? If you have groups and no hour glass/freezing up without an hour glass ever, I'd sure be interested to hear how you have managed that feat.

Last edited by the_sandman_454; 09-06-10 at 12:29 PM.
    09-06-10 12:23 PM
    I don't care, I love my Tour!...had a few trackball issues but nothing nail polish remover and a cue tip couldnt fix
    09-06-10 12:34 PM
    The Tour is just as good as the BOLD just less memory if you don't need a lot of apps you're fine, no major problems other than replacing when I dropped in water in the sink, second one like the first one no problem, only wish the browser was faster.
    09-06-10 12:44 PM
    I have a Tour and a Bold. The Bold is my regular phone and the Tour is a spare. I like both phones however I prefer the trackpad to the trackball (optical mouse vs. trackball). The Sprint store just ordered a replacement tour because the trackball doesn't select and the micro USB connector is not charging the phone. At least I can still get the phone repaired. Battery life on both phones is great. If the Bold didn't exist I would be using the Tour.
    09-06-10 02:00 PM
    No issues and hardly any lag since I started to use hybrids on it. Reboot is about 5 min with about 6 app's installed
    09-06-10 03:39 PM
    I have had the Tour The trackball was an issue. I have the Bold and there is nothing wrong with the trackpad. I know it is not even and this seems to bother a lot of people. It surely doesn't interfere with its functionality. I am a lefty and it is perfect for me. I love the Bold.
    09-06-10 03:55 PM
    I am in a love/hate relationship with my Tour, the trackball will stick and misbehave and then after some spankings it will work for the remainder of the day or week.

I do get the hour glass but that is partially my fault cause I act faster then my Tour can process what I want it to do. Battery is on crack, it will drain quick one day and last for almost 24 hours under serious heavy usage.

No problems whatsoever with my antenna/signal and I have dropped my Tour so many times that I'm surprised the screen isn't cracked or goes insane with severe hardware issues.

After chatting with a few friends, I have decided to just wait for that 1 device that will fit my needs and make me happy as my Tour did. I upgraded from a 8330, so I really do love my Tour.

If I had a working computer/internet, I would upgrade my OS to a hybrid most likely but can't and I'm still running the leaked 5.0.0.419 OS and it works very well with BBM .57.

For right now, I am staying with my Tour and I can patiently wait for that 1 device that I shall fall in love with and replace my Tour.

*It takes my Tour less then 5 minutes to boot fully.*

Thnx, �Tripster�

Last edited by Tripster; 09-06-10 at 05:03 PM.
    09-06-10 04:03 PM
    Am I one of the few that still loves the Tour? All this hype about the Bold 9650 has people hating their Tours, but I still love mine. I don't even think I would trade it for the Bold at this point. Is there anyone else out there with me?

If you love your Tour, you would LOVE a Bold. No comparison. Wi-Fi in scratchy CDMA zones rocks... really quick with half the battery drain. And you can use data on the plane!!! Great on an LAX to BOS non stop.

09-06-10 04:44 PM
    Had my tour almost a year. Still love it! There isn't another blackberry out right now that I would want. It is laggy sometimes but I usually just do a battery pull and wait a few minutes. I have about a 6 minute boot time with a few apps.

09-06-10 04:46 PM
    I am in a love/hate relationship with my Tour, the trackball will stick and misbehave and then after some spankings it will work for the remainder of the day or week.

I do get the hour glass but that is partially my fault cause I act faster then my Tour can process what I want it to do. Battery is on crack, it will drain quick one day and last for almost 24 hours under serious heavy usage.

No problems whatsoever with my antenna/signal and I have dropped my Tour so many times that I'm surprised the screen isn't cracked or goes insane with severe hardware issues.

After chatting with a few friends, I have decided to just wait for that 1 device that will fit my needs and make me happy as my Tour did. I upgraded from a 8330, so I really do love my Tour.

If I had a working computer/internet, I would upgrade my OS to a hybrid most likely but can't and I'm still running the leaked 5.0.0.419 OS and it works very well with BBM .57.

For right now, I am staying with my Tour and can't patiently wait for that 1 device that I shall fall in love with and replace my Tour.

*It takes my Tour less then 5 minutes to boot fully.*

Thnx, �Tripster�

"Misbehave" is an understatement. The track pad on the Bold 9650 is light years beyond the Tour ball. Check out the Bold...

09-06-10 04:54 PM
    "Misbehave" is an understatement. The track pad on the Bold 9650 is light years beyond the Tour ball. Check out the Bold...

I fixed my error in my post, I meant to say "I can patiently wait". I actually love the tactile feedback with the trackball but I am in a love/hate relationship with it as well though.

I have only had my Tour since November so I can wait for that one Blackberry device that fits my needs/wants.

Thnx, �Tripster�

09-06-10 05:10 PM
    I recently acquired a brand new tour for $00.00. I was tempted to get the bold but in my particular case $0 is way better than $199.00. Honestly I don't see any lag whatsoever. About the battery cover be loose, not on mine. The trackball goes pretty smooth. On heavy texting, calling and occasional internet use, the battery last the whole day. Some of the trade off's would be not getting os6, no wi-fi, less memory and possible trackball issues down the road. Still not a deal breaker for me.
    09-06-10 05:28 PM
    I've had mine for about 5 months now, and I love it. Coming from an 8130, which I abused for 2 years, it was a huge upgrade. I do REALLY wish RIM would throw us a bone with a new OS though. I like .732, but there are a few bugs I'd like worked out.
    09-06-10 05:47 PM
    The Blackberry Tour is a remarkable device that keeps me on top of pretty much everything in my business and personal life. The tricky part about having a Blackberry is figuring out how to use the thing efficiently and productively. I equate it with sitting in front of a concert piano but not knowing how to read music. You're out of your league.
    The browser should not be an issue. Opera Mini 5.1 is lightning fast. Learn the shortcuts and you will never go back to that BB Browser.
    Every user should get QuickLaunch and learn how to use it! There is a reason why it is one of the highest rated apps of all time.
    We now have fully integrated Blackberry apps for GPS and mapping (Blackberry Traffic), podcasts (Blackberry Podcasts), Twitter (Twitter for Blackberry), submitting feedback (Blackberry Feedback Tool), etc. Try those out before using a third party alternative. RIM is still giving updates to the Tour which should continue.
    The major thing that has helped me is turning off dialing from the home screen. I see absolutely no purpose to have that enabled. There are so many shortcuts that once memorized make use of the device a breeze. I have never had trackball problems because I hardly ever use it!
    So learn your device before you complain about it. Those who have figured that out love their Tour and no matter what new device RIM rolls out with, I will enjoy using it until the end of my contract.
    09-07-10 10:15 AM
    The Blackberry Tour is a remarkable device that keeps me on top of pretty much everything in my business and personal life. The tricky part about having a Blackberry is figuring out how to use the thing efficiently and productively. I equate it with sitting in front of a concert piano but not knowing how to read music. You're out of your league.
    Sorry, but I disagree. BB is one of the simplest, most straight forward platforms there is in terms of figuring out how to use it effectively.... There's no trickyness there at all, and anybody who believes so should stick with it, lest they be overwhelmed by the complexity of other platforms/OS'

The browser should not be an issue. Opera Mini 5.1 is lightning fast. Learn the shortcuts and you will never go back to that BB Browser.
    Still doesn't make Flash work, which is handy for a lot of websites. IMO, it still lags well behind browsers on other platforms (even though I know Safari doesn't have flash either)...it renders everything remotely and compresses it in order to make things seem so quick but in doing so, (IMO) doesn't look as nice as it could.

Every user should get QuickLaunch and learn how to use it! There is a reason why it is one of the highest rated apps of all time.
    We now have fully integrated Blackberry apps for GPS and mapping (Blackberry Traffic), podcasts (Blackberry Podcasts), Twitter (Twitter for Blackberry), submitting feedback (Blackberry Feedback Tool), etc. Try those out before using a third party alternative. RIM is still giving updates to the Tour which should continue.
    RIM is still giving updates for what? I've not seen a new OS for it in quite a long time. What do we need updates for more than that?

The major thing that has helped me is turning off dialing from the home screen. I see absolutely no purpose to have that enabled. There are so many shortcuts that once memorized make use of the device a breeze. I have never had trackball problems because I hardly ever use it!
    So learn your device before you complain about it. Those who have figured that out love their Tour and no matter what new device RIM rolls out with, I will enjoy using it until the end of my contract.
    Sorry friend, but no amount of learning my device is going to make up for the deficiencies it possesses. I got it because at the time it was better than the Curve I had, and it was the first Rev A option they offered. In less than a year since then, now some devices out there have Flash 10.1, 1ghz processors, much higher resolution screens, etc.

To imply that issues like needing a better radio/antenna/signal stability, needing the device to not randomly freeze, require frequent battery pulls, experience occasional random reboots on its' own, and suffer from long reboot times,(all of which are and have been real issues (search this forum for threads on such things)) are a matter of not understanding how to use the device is ridiculous. I'm sorry, but like I said, it's not a matter of learning the device, it's a matter of hardware and/or software deficiencies that have finally convinced me to try something else.

I think it's foolish to imply that some of us who are fed up with our Tours simply don't understand our devices.
    My replies are in bold above...

09-07-10 01:03 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD