I have been patiently waiting for the Tour to get OS 5.0.

I'm not super tech-savvy when it comes to the BB - but I think I can do it.

My question is - what is the general consensus.

A - Which leak is the best one?
    B - Is it worth it to do - or should I just suck it up and wait?
    C - Rumors were that it was coming out this year - obviously that's not happening. But do we know anything more about a release date?

Thoughts?
    12-14-09 08:18 AM
    so far 5.0.230 is the best 5.0 leak out there. I know theres hybrids out there but I'm not a fan of hybrids and would not load them onto my phone

its worth it for .230 I mean its not a perfect OS, which is why it never got the official OS from it so theres a few small bugs, but nothing worse then OS 4.7

No one really knows when the official 5.0 might be out, but you never know, they might surprise us yet before the years end and make all our Christmases that much better... only time will tell
    12-14-09 08:21 AM
    I have been patiently waiting for the Tour to get OS 5.0.

I'm not super tech-savvy when it comes to the BB - but I think I can do it.

My question is - what is the general consensus.

A - Which leak is the best one?
    B - Is it worth it to do - or should I just suck it up and wait?
    C - Rumors were that it was coming out this year - obviously that's not happening. But do we know anything more about a release date?

Thoughts?
    There is no official release date imminent. Your best bet is that it will be released shortly before the Tour2, which supposedly will be within the next month or two.

There are plenty of manuals and walk thrus on how to upgrade, so fear not. My advice would be to go with the .230 leak and then load one of Irtehun's hybrids over top of that. All your hybrid needs can be met at BBHybrids - Blackberry Hybrids . As for the .230 leak, check the OS Beta/Hybrid forum here on CB, I've posted a link there dozens of times.
    12-14-09 08:23 AM
    so far 5.0.230 is the best 5.0 leak out there. I know theres hybrids out there but I'm not a fan of hybrids and would not load them onto my phone

its worth it for .230 I mean its not a perfect OS, which is why it never got the official OS from it so theres a few small bugs, but nothing worse then OS 4.7

No one really knows when the official 5.0 might be out, but you never know, they might surprise us yet before the years end and make all our Christmases that much better... only time will tell
    MJ, why aren't you a fan of hybrids? Just curious. The majority of individuals that use them seem satisfied and feel that they are an improvement over any base leaked OS. Have you had some bad experiences? I always figured if you were going to load a leaked OS on your phone to begin with, might as well go the extra two yards and load a hybrid on to make it run a little smoother and take some of the bugs out.

Just wondering what your experiences are. Thx
    12-14-09 08:26 AM
    Its easy just follow the simple directions to upgrade .230 is stable I've tried others but the raido wasn't steady....Happy upgrading!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-14-09 09:53 AM
    I'm so comfortable with my 4.7.1.61 official OS from verizon. Everything just works. If I lost one of the features when upgrading to the leaks, I'd be pretty annoyed. So I'm just waiting till there's an official release.
    12-14-09 09:58 AM
    I'm so comfortable with my 4.7.1.61 official OS from verizon. Everything just works. If I lost one of the features when upgrading to the leaks, I'd be pretty annoyed. So I'm just waiting till there's an official release.
    ditto,,,,,
    12-14-09 11:25 AM
    Same for me...but I was wondering if any of you who have installed a leaked version of 5.0 could tell me if one of the built-in themes with OS 5.0 is a "Today" theme. I am contemplating purchasing a third-party theme but I won't bother if there will be a stock Today theme with OS 5.0. Would anyone be kind enough to answer that question for me, please? Thanks!
    12-14-09 01:08 PM
    Same for me...but I was wondering if any of you who have installed a leaked version of 5.0 could tell me if one of the built-in themes with OS 5.0 is a "Today" theme. I am contemplating purchasing a third-party theme but I won't bother if there will be a stock Today theme with OS 5.0. Would anyone be kind enough to answer that question for me, please? Thanks!
    It is not a theme, per say, but a option for "home screen layout" accessible from the home screen menu
    12-14-09 01:39 PM
    I don't think you should install a different OS for a theme. I find that pointless. You should think about what you need first, and I would figure what is most important for me. I think stability and use-ability is what comes first to me instead of themes. I am using .230 and hybrid. If you decide to upgrade, it takes like an extra 20min and a few clicks to upgrade to the hybrid. There are detailed instructions on how to do it. If you are a tinkerer like a lot of us crackberry addicts than it is worth a try. They are easily upgraded, downgraded, and even if you brick your phone, there are guides to fix it. But if tinkering is not your thing, I would just sit and wait.

12-14-09 02:33 PM
    Take the dive, the risks are minimal. It took me downloading three times for it to be not so buggy but it was well worth it. Otherwise you can wait until the summer or whenever the official version comes out.
    12-14-09 02:45 PM
    I wish I had the time to get it and mess around with it if it doesn't work with all features of the phone. But I need every bit of the phone working, as it is now, so I can't risk it. Definitely looking forward to the speed and stability, and the new features.
    12-14-09 02:58 PM
    There is no official release date imminent. Your best bet is that it will be released shortly before the Tour2, which supposedly will be within the next month or two.

There are plenty of manuals and walk thrus on how to upgrade, so fear not. My advice would be to go with the .230 leak and then load one of Irtehun's hybrids over top of that. All your hybrid needs can be met at BBHybrids - Blackberry Hybrids . As for the .230 leak, check the OS Beta/Hybrid forum here on CB, I've posted a link there dozens of times.
    I agree. I'm running one of Irtehun's hybrids and it runs great. I would go with a hybrid over a leaked OS by itself. As far as installing it, as long as you pay attention to the steps and follow each one, you shouldn't have a problem. Just be patient, it can be a long process.
    12-14-09 02:59 PM
    Do it. You won't regret it. .230 is great as far as I'm concerned. Best part is being able to SMS through BBM which I couldn't live without now.

There are detailed instructions on how to load an OS in my signature. Even if you mess it up which I doubt you will, you can always downgrade back to an official.

I also endorse hybrids. They tweak the OS just right.
    12-14-09 03:01 PM
    Thanks everyone for the advice.

I am still on the fence... but will look @ that version of the OS and read through the instructions - and see how I feel about it.

12-15-09 04:35 AM
    Does the 5.0 leak fix the major bluetooth problems the tour has?
    12-15-09 06:26 AM
    If you load .230, then yes I believe so. .191 does not support VAD as far as I know.
    12-15-09 07:04 AM
    I've been one .230 for about a week and v7.14 hybrid for a couple days. I haven't found any bugs yet. The one thing I didn't like is there's no media section, all the options are split up. There are themes that have a media section built in, so its not a problem any more.

If you like 4.7, why switch?

12-15-09 07:13 AM
    Which major problems are you speaking of?
    12-15-09 09:45 AM
    I've been real annoyed with the Profiles issues, although custom profiles work fine. So I've been hoping that 5.0 will fix that. But in talking to RIM (to fix my Profiles issue), they said DON'T upgrade prematurely, which is sort of expected, but they said if there are problems, they won't provide support. That's enough for me to wait. But then my 4.7 is working just fine, at least since I found the Cutom Profiles work around for the other Profiles not working properly. (My only issue with Custom is it is not obvious which Profile I am on because they all have the grey icon.)
    12-15-09 07:41 PM
    Of course they won't support a "leaked" OS lol.

So when you have a problem with the phone...just downgrade before you walk into your carriers store to get fixed

AND to the OP...just go 5.0 already. The majority of the Tour users on this site have been on 5.0 for MONTHS....so get with the times already lol.
    12-15-09 09:46 PM
    Took the plunge today so far so good!

12-15-09 10:59 PM
    Me too. My phone works fine with 4.7. I can wait for the official release and even then I wait a few days to hear everyone's feedback.
    12-16-09 05:03 AM
    What do you got to lose? If you don't like it, then go back. For those that say "my 4.7 is working fine...why upgrade" If you upgrade, you will wonder why you haven't done it sooner. Which is what I said to myself after I upgraded. I was scared to do it but after 3 bricks of 4.7, what did i have to lose? I will NEVER go back now.
    12-16-09 08:31 AM
    The bluetooth problem I have is described in the bluetooth subforum - I canNOT get to some of my attached bluetooth devices after my upgrade. They will not work now and I canNOT delete or get any access to them - even trying the suggestions in that thread.
    12-16-09 09:01 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD