Go online during a call! I tried to do this and my phone put up a screen scolding me. I called verizon and they said that the phone uses the same antenna as the data. And that's ok but I don't understand how a phone that has more than one antenna in it can be preset like this. Now is it impossible to use the CDMA for both but if a call comes in you can use the 3G? My iPhone has always done this since I bought it. I was considering switching but this might be a dealbreaker. Is there a way around this or an app I can download?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-14-09 07:22 PM
    i can go online and be on the phone at the same time (just tried it) i also have att though so that may make a difference.
    08-14-09 07:23 PM
    CDMA cannot do both voice and data, it is a technical limitation.

08-14-09 07:24 PM
    Too much data going in and out of the phone. They probably did that on purpose to retain call quality. Phone can't handle it. It doesn't have a dual core processor.

08-14-09 07:24 PM
    Nothing to do with Blackberrys or any of their devices. No CDMA carrier (Verizon or Sprint) can use data and voice at the same time, it's the nature of the technology.

I'm not sure why this would be a dealbreaker...
    08-14-09 07:55 PM
    Too much data going in and out of the phone. They probably did that on purpose to retain call quality. Phone can't handle it. It doesn't have a dual core processor.

Wow. Wrong.

The limitation is with the network technology. 3G CDMA cannot do this on any phone.

I also believe that the Tour DOES have a dual-core processor.

08-14-09 07:58 PM
    CDMA does allow for 3G technology. Verizon and Sprint just haven't capitalized on it yet. Except for Sprint's Palm Pre which I understand is constantly connected through data.
    08-14-09 08:00 PM
    The current version of CDMA that Sprint and VZW is using can only do one or the other. It is limitation on the technology being used. GSM/GPRS can do this however.

Now when VZW rolls out LTE and you have a phone that can utilize the LTE technology then you will be able to use both voice and data at the same time.

More info regarding LTE

Another CB Article about it, and another, and another .

That should give you a bunch of different outlooks on CDMA and LTE. I am excited about it and cant wait. This is one thing I missed that GSP/GPRS/EDGE based phones could do that CDMA phones could not.
    08-14-09 08:23 PM
    I wish verizon allowed you to do voice and data

08-14-09 11:48 PM
    Nothing to do with Blackberrys or any of their devices. No CDMA carrier (Verizon or Sprint) can use data and voice at the same time, it's the nature of the technology.

I'm not sure why this would be a dealbreaker...
    Try talking on the phone and using GPS to find where you are going. Worked like a champ when I was on AT&T. Now I have to pick either talk or find my way.

Well that and just the fact that I want and should be able to.
    08-15-09 12:21 AM
    No, you shouldn't be able to. It's a technical limitation. Maybe you should have researched it more before you bought the phone then.
    08-15-09 12:24 AM
    Yea..so much for a smartphone
    08-15-09 04:44 AM
    Yea..so much for a smartphone
    yea...i don't know if you read any of the posts above (or the manual) but it's not the phone, it's the network.
    08-15-09 09:18 AM
    wifi would help this problem in many situations
    08-15-09 09:22 AM
    someone had to mention wifi...........
    08-15-09 10:45 AM
    Try talking on the phone and using GPS to find where you are going. Worked like a champ when I was on AT&T. Now I have to pick either talk or find my way.

Well that and just the fact that I want and should be able to.
    talking and using GPS does work on Verizon. I always do this when I'm talking and tryig nto find my way. I use VZnavigator
    08-15-09 10:48 AM
    talking and using GPS does work on Verizon. I always do this when I'm talking and tryig nto find my way. I use VZnavigator

Really the last time i tried it did work so well. i will give it another try.
    08-15-09 10:54 AM
    Really the last time i tried it did work so well. i will give it another try.
    yeah it works... but you just cant go online doing a call, but you can use your GPS though
    08-15-09 10:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD