What if this rumored next Verizon device that is supposed to include WiFi is a Curve 8930 with WiFi? That would be a tough choice for me. I know that the Tour would beat the 8930 in just about every category, but I actually like the Curve keyboard just fine and the addition of WiFi would allow me to actually use my phone at home. Also, it would have to be 3G.

What would the rest of you pick and why?
    06-19-09 04:25 PM
    What if this rumored next Verizon device that is supposed to include WiFi is a Curve 8930 with WiFi? That would be a tough choice for me. I know that the Tour would beat the 8930 in just about every category, but I actually like the Curve keyboard just fine and the addition of WiFi would allow me to actually use my phone at home. Also, it would have to be 3G.

What would the difference be between an 8930 with wifi and a Tour besides keyboard and wifi?

How would the Tour beat it in just about every category?

They're pretty much equivalent insides.
    06-19-09 04:29 PM
    Well first of all the Curve 8930 (Atlas?) won't be coming out anytime soon. I'm thinking very late summer/fall. As you said, the Tour beats the Curve in every possible category besides WiFi. It is unfortunate, but many people including myself have no need for WiFi, which makes the choice very easy.

Personally I just don't like the feel and look of the 8900. I was trying a demo out last night at my local AT&T store and I just wasn't feeling the keyboard. The clackiness of it was nice, but the Bold's keyboard is far superior IMO.
    06-19-09 04:31 PM
    IMO it would be hard to pass up the 8930 if it did come with wifi. for those who need a world phone its going to be hard to pass up on the tour. but looking at the 2 devices, the tour to me at least looks a lot nicer.
    06-19-09 04:37 PM
    IF the Atlas is 8930 Curve with Wifi (we still don't know that it is), it would be 3G, all CDMA BBs are 3G. It MIGHT only be Rev 0, not Rev A like the Tour is, plus it might have a lesser CPU & memory. But it would amost definately be 3G.
    06-19-09 04:48 PM
    Heh, I posted this exact same thread a few weeks ago

http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/hy...9630-a-228609/
    06-19-09 04:53 PM
    06-19-09 05:02 PM
    thanks for pointing this out -- wasn't sure if i was having crazy de ja vu or what was goin on
    06-19-09 05:24 PM
    thanks for pointing this out -- wasn't sure if i was having crazy de ja vu or what was goin on
    it's your mind playing tricks on you, just like waiting for the Tour
    06-19-09 05:37 PM

I think I would still pick the tour..

I like the keyboard a ton. I would really like wi-fi but it wouldn't make me drop down to quite a bit lower device just to have it...
    06-19-09 07:17 PM
    Personally I just don't like the feel and look of the 8900. I was trying a demo out last night at my local AT&T store and I just wasn't feeling the keyboard. The clackiness of it was nice, but the Bold's keyboard is far superior IMO.
    When I first got my 8900 I felt the exact same way about the keyboard. After a couple weeks use I loved it. I found it better then the 83xx series. I also heard others testify of the same thing
    06-19-09 07:22 PM
    When I first got my 8900 I felt the exact same way about the keyboard. After a couple weeks use I loved it. I found it better then the 83xx series. I also heard others testify of the same thing

I think its just getting used to something..

anything will feel weird at first..
    06-19-09 11:35 PM
    I think its just getting used to something..

anything will feel weird at first..
    some things just don't work the same way
    06-20-09 01:36 AM
    I want to hear more explanations for how the Tour is better than the 8900(8930) in 'almost every way'.

The Tour is longer, wider, fatter and heavier. They have the same resolution screen and the difference in size is negligible. Same amount of memory. The 8930 has a longer standby and talk time. The processors are nearly identical in speed. They have the same camera. Much more beyond that, and even some of those details, are arguably the same. The major difference, so far because there are fewer details out on the 8930, is that the Tour can be used on more networks? So, if you go out of the country a lot, most owners won't, then the Tour has a clear advantage there.

On a personal note, I like the Curve style keyboard better for the space between keys. Just personal preference.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-20-09 10:54 PM
    I want to hear more explanations for how the Tour is better than the 8900(8930) in 'almost every way'.

The Tour is longer, wider, fatter and heavier. They have the same resolution screen and the difference in size is negligible. Same amount of memory. The 8930 has a longer standby and talk time. The processors are nearly identical in speed. They have the same camera. Much more beyond that, and even some of those details, are arguably the same. The major difference, so far because there are fewer details out on the 8930, is that the Tour can be used on more networks? So, if you go out of the country a lot, most owners won't, then the Tour has a clear advantage there.

On a personal note, I like the Curve style keyboard better for the space between keys. Just personal preference.

and uhh 3g..
    I don't think its better in every way possible but I do think its a better phone.. I prefer the bigger device..
    06-20-09 11:13 PM

Real talk, I'm not trying to give you a BS answer, but when I compared both side by side, the Tour just seemed better. I'm in love with the size of the phone. It's still apples and oranges when it comes to both though. 8900 has wifi, but the Tour has a better keyboard. My curve gives me a nice speed, so Rev A. will definitely be a plus.
    06-20-09 11:24 PM
    and uhh 3g..
    I don't think its better in every way possible but I do think its a better phone.. I prefer the bigger device..
    Hmmm, from a site listing the specs on the Curve 8930 it has this listed:

"cdmaOne, CDMA2000 1xRTT, CDMA2000 1xEV-DO Rel. 0, CDMA2000 1xEV-DO Rev A "

Doesn't that mean its '3g'?
    06-20-09 11:28 PM
    Hmmm, from a site listing the specs on the Curve 8930 it has this listed:

"cdmaOne, CDMA2000 1xRTT, CDMA2000 1xEV-DO Rel. 0, CDMA2000 1xEV-DO Rev A "

Doesn't that mean its '3g'?
    What site? The phone isn't even in the talks of a rumor yet.

06-20-09 11:50 PM
    Google "curve 8930" and you'll see multiple sites with specs. I have seen it listed with both Rev 0 and Rev A. Which is it?
    If the 8930 is Rev A with WiFi, then I think its the phone for me.

06-21-09 07:30 AM
    I guess I didn't fully pay attention to the OP. I compared the Tour with a 8900 and not the 8930. 8930 will have Rev. A, and it's rumored to have wi-fi. I'll have to see it to believe it, but I do know that CDMA carriers are succumbing to the pressure of adding wi-fi to their phones.

@myles: If you have plenty of patience then go for it, but do remember how long it taken us to get a real confirmation for the Tour. 8930 sounds nice, but is it the new Curve II? That's suppose to be the phone that replaces the great 83xx, and the specs for that is even better.
    Last edited by Sinternet Jr.; 06-21-09 at 08:12 AM.
    06-21-09 07:38 AM
    I guess I didn't fully pay attention to the OP. I compared the Tour with a 8900 and not the 8930. 8930 will have Rev. A, and it's rumored to have wi-fi. I'll have to see it to believe it, but I do know that CDMA carriers are succumbing to the pressure of adding wi-fi to their phones.

@myles: If you have plenty of patience then go for it, but do remember how long it taken us to get a real confirmation for the Tour. 8930 sounds nice, but is the new Curve II? That's suppose to be the phone that replaces the great 83xx, and the specs for that is even better.
    My hope is that the 8930 is the phone to be released shortly after the Tour.........
    06-21-09 08:10 AM
    All Sprint and Verizon blackberries are 3G. Neither Sprint nor Verizon would release a new curve without EVDO Rev A, cause the current curves have Rev 0.

I think it depends on what you need. I need a world phone so I will upgrade my 8830 to the 9630. For people who don't need it, I would think an updated curve with WiFi would be great. It all depends on what your needs are.
    06-21-09 01:43 PM
    The tour just feels better to me.. 8900 series devices feel too small in my hands.. Course I prefer the 8830 to the 8330 for that same reason..
    06-21-09 01:54 PM
    My hope is that the 8930 is the phone to be released shortly after the Tour.........
    Are you going to wait on the Tour for this then?
    06-21-09 01:57 PM
    The tour just feels better to me.. 8900 series devices feel too small in my hands.. Course I prefer the 8830 to the 8330 for that same reason..
    Well it's lighter than the Storm, so that's good enough for me.
    06-21-09 02:25 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD