Hey everyone sorry for this topic,but i'm just so curious.So I got my Black Berry tour like last week i'm new with the whole Black berry thing,anyways I was just wondering how would I know my 3g is on and working.? I got to the menu and I click on "Manage Connections" then I scroll down and click on "Mobile Network Options" I would think switching it to 3g or 3g,2g instead of 1XEV would be better.My problem is or i might not know but when I make the switch were it says Mobile Network it says *None* the only thing that works is 1XEV. If someone can give me any info on this its highly appreciated :/ thank you.
    07-28-09 06:41 PM
    "3G" is just what AT&T calls it, you won't see that on your Verizon phone. Its the same speed as 1XEV I believe though.
    07-28-09 06:47 PM
    Note that not all areas have 3G signals
    07-28-09 06:54 PM
    asked the same question last week and everyone said 1XEV is 3GM

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-28-09 06:54 PM
    The 3g and or 2g is only for the gsm side. The woirld part of the tour. 1XEV is what sprint and verizon use for 3g speeds on cdma

07-28-09 06:55 PM
    asked the same question last week and everyone said 1XEV is 3GM

He just answered your question. This is the right answer. But as someone else stated as well, 3G isn't available everywhere and Sprint has the fastest 3G Network.
    07-28-09 06:57 PM
    Sprint has the fastest 3G Network.
    Data supporting that somewhere?
    07-28-09 07:10 PM
    The 3g and or 2g is only for the gsm side. The woirld part of the tour. 1XEV is what sprint and verizon use for 3g speeds on cdma

If this is true.. Then why is it when you manage connections, that you have the option for selecting 2G only and the ability to select 2G and 3G?

07-28-09 07:11 PM
    The 2g 3g option is Verizon specific i think
    07-28-09 07:16 PM
    Well I check on the VerizonWireless website and it covers it,but I think i got my answer.I was hoping to see some kind of 3G icon but I guess not.Well I also tried switching to 2g and 3g but doesn't work says *none* on Mobile network
    07-28-09 07:20 PM
    Congrats enjoy the phone
    07-28-09 07:22 PM
    If this is true.. Then why is it when you manage connections, that you have the option for selecting 2G only and the ability to select 2G and 3G?

2G and 3G have nothing to do with the actuall technology, the G stands for Generation, 3G is the 3rd generation of wireless technology and that includes UMTS and Evdo Rev A. GSM phones just happen to only say 3G a majority of the time though you can find some that say UMTS or HSDPA or whatever they use to get a 3rd generation signal. EV-DO Rev A is the CDMA 3rd generation technology, and as thus they just print it 1XEV. A Sprint Tour will say GSM/UMTS, 1XEV, and Global in the technology selection.

You won't get a 3G icon on your Tour unless you're outside the country since the Tours 3G GSM radio is only good for the 2100mhz Band used in Europe, in the US AT&T and T-Mobile use 850, 1900(ATT), and 1700(Tmobile), other than that 1XEV is 3G just labeled differently.

If your phone only says 1X then that's 2G
    Last edited by Arreat; 07-28-09 at 07:35 PM.
    07-28-09 07:27 PM
    Arreat thanks soo much for all the info,and everyone else. I get it now. I'm a first time user with the Black berrys soo i would need to learn more,but thanks everyone ones again :]
    07-28-09 08:01 PM
    If you have just 1x, it is voice and sms signal.. If you have 1xev (all lowercase) it is evdo revision 0 (2g), which is low speed data . If you get 1XEV (all uppercase) then it is EVDO revision A, which is the fastest current CDMA data technology in the US.

Last edited by TallMtnBikeRider; 07-28-09 at 08:56 PM.
    07-28-09 08:52 PM
    If you have 1x, it is 2g. If you have 1xev (all lowercase) it is evdo revision 0, which is high speed data but not the same as GSM 3g. If you get 1XEV (all uppercase) then it is EVDO revision A which is the fastest current CDMA data technology in the US.

False, capital letters indicate your connection to the blackberry BIS or BES servers, if you are 1xev than you have no BlackBerry data connection, capitals you do.
    07-28-09 08:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD