I have seen thread after thread of people posting widely variable battery lives on both the 8900 and the Tour(12 to 48 hours between charges!). I suspect that the quality of the batteries RIM puts in the devices is widely variable also. I don't have a problem docking mine every night to recharge. If you can't get it to last a day, I would try calling CS to see if they can send you another battery along with proper management practices like standby mode.
    08-30-09 11:38 PM
    Coming from a dumbphone, the Tour's battery life seemed WAY to short. I find myself charging every night with heavy SMS/Web browsing and mild Talk everyday. But I understand that its a smartphone & that this is normal, so i've learned to adapt.
    08-30-09 11:42 PM
    I probably do about an hour talking everyday, but extreamly heavy usage on the SMS and E-mail... I have to charge it everynight, it wont last over a day, which is what I expect though. None of my past blackberrys would last over a day either
    Same with me.
    Does an extended battery actually help?
    08-30-09 11:47 PM
    also, we have to be patient. The Tour has not been out long and this is the first available OS. Newer OS builds have the potential to increase battery life, especially with CPU-scaling.

When I first got my 8900, the battery life sucked, and coming from the 8320, I was very frustrated, but I learned to deal. Then, about 3 months after launch, a new OS build just about doubled my battery life, and it was just as good as my old 8320's battery life.
    08-30-09 11:52 PM
    On mine, I finally just got a new battery and its been way better! With my first battery, it wasn't horrible. I just noticed that the first few times I used my phone, the battery drained super fast. After a week or so, it seemed to last longer.
    08-31-09 12:01 AM
    I also experienced the first week of the tour batt draining super fast bit after a couple of times of draining the batt. Almost completely then charging it got much better. Hubs didn't have any luck his still drained in a few hours went to sprint store they gave him a new battery works much better. Still he ordered seidio ex life batt

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-31-09 12:23 AM
    The other things I did (which other users have suggested) which are changing the GPS settings and making sure you're on the local network, not global. I also dimmed my backlight dowm as well. I also know that I am notorious for not closing programs.

I just got a new battery yesterday, it was fully charged at 10:00am and its now 12:36am (at night or however you call it) and im still at 65% charged.
    08-31-09 12:36 AM
    Bringing the backlight down to 10% really made a difference. And in the bright sun, the sensor in thre phone adjusts accordingly saving you time. Though on standby, my phone does not even come close to a 6 day rest.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-31-09 05:35 AM
    If you turn the radio off that puppy will hold a charge damn near forever.
    08-31-09 07:33 AM
    With moderate usage I can get about 2 days out of it. I'm happy.
    08-31-09 07:53 AM
    Maybe I just have to wait for the battery to "break in" so I will see how long it is lasting at the end of the week...2 days would be perfectly acceptable.
    08-31-09 07:58 AM
    I came off an 8830 and have been fairly unimpressed with the battery life on my Tour. Verizon gave me a new battery to try and I'm pretty sure it's just the device. I'm charging every single night, all night, and if I take it off charger around 5:30a, it's shutting the radio off low around 5 or 6p. Ugh. I'm either going to have to buy an extra battery (plus charger) or an extended battery. We'll see which comes out to be a better price. Either way, that kind of life is disappointing. I was at a conference a few weeks ago and literally had my phone plugged in at a bar for happy hour. BB addict FTW.

Here's hoping the OS helps.
    08-31-09 01:12 PM
    Yeah this uses more but even my curve i'd have to charge by bed time. I just keep a charger at work. I'm at 50% after about 6hrs of use
    08-31-09 01:14 PM
    ok, i see some pplz dont get how they get those stats....the 5 hrs are how long you can talk on the phone, and if you dont have any apps running, or have any incoming data, and have your phone set at optimal battery saving settings, and if your phone doesnt have to search for a signal. the standby time is the same, just on standby, not even using the phone at all, and phone in standby....but i know pplz didnt actually really believe that with any sort of use, that they're phones would do what the manufacturer said it could do? smh....
    08-31-09 01:32 PM
    I know this sounds weird, but the battery life does get better after about a week of use. For the first 2-3 days I had my Tour, I was having to charge it throughout the day. Now, after a week or so, I can get through the entire day with normal use. I took mine off the charger at 8am and I'm sitting at 47%. That's with several apps running in the background all day and normal use.
    i really hope ur right because i had my phone for almost a week and didnt really see ne improvement on battery life, there are ppl that use their phone with talking web browsing textin leaving apps running in the background 3times as much as i do and they can go past a whole day without worrying their battery getting real low
    09-17-09 12:31 PM
    Even though some blackberry batterys tend to last a bit longer then the tour, compared to most other devices like most win mobile devices witch i no from experience the battery on the tour last a hole lot long longer then 90 percent of any other phones out there. Years ago before i had smart-phones i had Motorola Nextels id have to charge it 3 or 4 times a day. Yes the tour battery isent the best of blackberry batterys but its sure as **** better then any other phone by any other company in my experience. Honestly my tour battery i take off the charger at 7 in the morning and when i put it on the charger around 10 to 11 pm its still at 40-60 percent thats pretty damn good in my eyes. My curve did last slightly longer but thats pretty damn good. Ive not once had my tour die during the day yet. I also notice the battery has gotten a little better from when i first got it in July.
    Last edited by njbianco; 09-17-09 at 01:13 PM.
    09-17-09 01:08 PM
    I get a day n a half.....but for every phone I've ever had...blackberry or otherwise...it's always being charged while i sleep.
    09-17-09 01:21 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD