When no password has been set, and the Tour is locked, the trackball does nothing except bring up a message about how to unlock the device.

When a password has been established (options > password > enabled), moving the track ball brings up a screen which will allow an emergency call to be made. I have found this to be a problem if the Tour is locked and in my pocket. Sometimes the trackball moves and it has placed several emergency calls in error - very embarrassing!

Is there a way to use a password, but have the trackball not allow an emergency call - the same behavior as a locked Tour with no password established?
    Last edited by ssax; 08-30-09 at 01:01 PM.
    08-30-09 12:58 PM
    I don't think you can disable it. It may be a law. Even without a SIM you can make Emergrency calls.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-30-09 01:24 PM
    Get a pocket case. It has a sensor so the phone wont respond to button presses when inside the case.
    08-30-09 01:34 PM
    Or just put the phone in standby - by pressing and holding the mute button - before putting it in your pocket. Problem solved. Idk why rim even bothered with the lock button-standby would be the much better option. Do ppl really use the lock button? And why?

08-30-09 01:38 PM
    I've never put my phone in standby. I always leave it locked. I guess similar to why I never shut down my PC or put it in "standby", I just lock it. I like having it always on. I'm sure for some, standby is a great option to conserve battery power and whatnot, but it has never been an issue with me.
    08-30-09 01:46 PM
    Or just put the phone in standby - by pressing and holding the mute button - before putting it in your pocket. Problem solved. Idk why rim even bothered with the lock button-standby would be the much better option. Do ppl really use the lock button? And why?

Having a password enabled on the device is the mitigating factor here. Even with a password enabled, you (or anyone else for that matter), can bring your phone out of standby by simply pressing the mute button. Unlocking your phone requires entry of a password and is therefore more secure.
    08-30-09 02:07 PM
    I've never put my phone in standby. I always leave it locked. I guess similar to why I never shut down my PC or put it in "standby", I just lock it. I like having it always on. I'm sure for some, standby is a great option to conserve battery power and whatnot, but it has never been an issue with me.
    Why wouldn't you just put the phone in standby? It prevents the problem the OP pointed out. I think some people mistakenly think that standby prevents it from ringing or receiving messages? I ALWAYS put my phone in standby when I am not using it, especially when I am about to put it in my pocket.
    08-30-09 02:17 PM
    Why wouldn't you just put the phone in standby? It prevents the problem the OP pointed out. I think some people mistakenly think that standby prevents it from ringing or receiving messages? I ALWAYS put my phone in standby when I am not using it, especially when I am about to put it in my pocket.
    If you reread the original post and my reply, you'll see that keeping the phone password protected is important to OP. Taking the phone out of standby does not require a password, even if a password is already enabled on the device.
    08-30-09 02:20 PM
    It can if you set a password timeout-this is what I do. Password timeout after an hour of inactivity, standby whenever I'm not using it. When I come out of standby its almost always locked-unless its been less than an hour. You can change the setting to whatever your preference is.
    If you reread the original post and my reply, you'll see that keeping the phone password protected is important to OP. Taking the phone out of standby does not require a password, even if a password is already enabled on the device.
    08-30-09 04:15 PM
    Went back and re-read the OP...here is what I would do in your situation.

Go into password settings, set the pw timeout to 5min, and before putting the phone in your pocket-simply put it in standby. The phone will not come out of standby in your pocket, unless the mute button is pressed down-which is not likely to happen. After 5 minutes of inactivity(you can even set it to 1, or 2min) the phone will lock while in standby. This will also conserve your battery, and still allows for one button access, followed by a password entry to gain access to the phone. Which sounds like exactly what you want. This way, you won't be bothered with the emergency call option, as well as the phone becoming active in your pocket.

08-30-09 04:21 PM
    It can if you set a password timeout-this is what I do. Password timeout after an hour of inactivity, standby whenever I'm not using it. When I come out of standby its almost always locked-unless its been less than an hour. You can change the setting to whatever your preference is.

Oh, good call. I guess I never realized that the password timeout locked the phone when it's already in standby (probably because i've never used it before - ha!). That's probably the best solution for the OP...
    08-30-09 04:21 PM
    Standby, combined with a password timeout, is a perfect solution - thanks!
    08-30-09 07:53 PM
    I think the media player stops playing when in standby. Therefore I use the lock keyboard. Like most of you, I have such a relationship with my berry which greatly reduces the chance of it being lost.

08-30-09 09:04 PM
    Media player-slacker-pandora, they all can play in standby-hit the button once and they will pause the music, hit standby again quickly to "come out of standby" and hit it one more time quickly and it will fade off to sleep

Might take a few tries, but it works!

I think the media player stops playing when in standby. Therefore I use the lock keyboard. Like most of you, I have such a relationship with my berry which greatly reduces the chance of it being lost.

08-30-09 09:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD