...without just exchanging until I'm happy, of course.

Basically I'm upgrading from my curve 8330 (which I love) to the Tour soon, and I want to try to get one without the loose battery cover, trackball, and screen ripple problems. I went to both Verizon and sprint this weekend and each took a tour out of the box to let me hold it, and both had battery covers that were way to loose, in my opinion.

Are there certain tours without any reported problems? (Canada 1, Mexico 5 etc)

thanks...
    08-09-09 01:36 PM
    You can't. It's a roll of the dice... some people get good ones, others don't. The Canada/Mexico phones have problems on both sides. My first one was Canada, the second was Mexico... both have loose battery doors and sticky trackballs.
    08-09-09 01:42 PM
    I just looked at the Verizon website and the 2 Tour models hold the number 1 and 2 spots for ratings. Maybe most people aren't bothered by loose battery covers or wrote the review before noticing the screen ripples.
    I think the only thing you can do is keep having them drag phones out till they get one you like.
    Personally I would accept a loose battery cover but not screen/trackball issues.
    08-09-09 01:52 PM
    I agree, try at least three of them out
    08-09-09 01:58 PM
    My solution is simple - just wait 6 months for them to figure out how to build the thing. As screwed up as my old 8830 is, I don't need the hearthache of fighting with Verizon if I get a phone that doesn't work properly. Since 10% of the people report having a bad phone, that's just too high of a risk .
    08-09-09 02:00 PM
    You can't base your decision on the threads on this forum. There are a lot more people with no problems than it seems.
    08-09-09 02:01 PM
    Yeah it's really luck...

Before the rep even opened the box I asked him if we could check the battery cover to ensure it wasn't loose. Right when he pulled the phone out the box he turned it over and it was very loose. He didn't even hesitate to pull another out from the back and luckily it didn't have a loose cover.

This phone also has no trackball issues, or "screen ripple" issues.
    08-09-09 02:03 PM
    so far the only problem Tours that I came across where the ones made in Mexico, the Canada ones I have had so far have not had any problems other then a little loose battery cover.

I would try to try away from the mexico built ones so far, like i said its just my opinion and those ones are the only ones that I came across so far in my hand that had problems with the trackball
    08-09-09 02:07 PM
    so far the only problem Tours that I came across where the ones made in Mexico, the Canada ones I have had so far have not had any problems other then a little loose battery cover.

I would try to try away from the mexico built ones so far, like i said its just my opinion and those ones are the only ones that I came across so far in my hand that had problems with the trackball
    My first phone was a Canada-1 phone, and I had a sticky trackball and loose battery door.
    08-09-09 02:11 PM
    I'm getting ready to go to Tour #3 here in about an hour. Hopefully the third time is the charm. Both of mine have been Mexico 5 and had issues with the trackball, signal strength, and screen ripple. Everything else has been decent. I love the full web page rendering! I love being able to see the page I'm going after and then zooming on the spot I need...yes, I love the Tour -- just not my current issues :/
    08-09-09 02:22 PM

Mine is from Mexico and has no problems it is the luck of the draw.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-09-09 02:22 PM
    So it's not 6 sigma any more, it's 0.6 sigma? "Quality is job 3?"

Nope, I've thrown out enough Chinese crap over the past 5 years to last me a lifetime.
    08-09-09 02:29 PM

I beg to differ, my Tour reads "Mexico 5" and has no problems whatsoever.

08-09-09 03:25 PM
    I just swapped out my Tour about 2 hours ago. I bought mine the very first day they were available from Verizon. I actually thought I was passed the 30 days, but it was July 12th, when I purchased the device. My first device was from Canada. It suffered from a loose battery door (fixed by putting a small piece of electrical tape under the clasp), the headphone jack was so bad I just wouldn't even bother using headphones. The call quality was "muffled". Worst of all was the trackball. Left to Right movement was horrendous. When I brought it in to the VZW store, the sales-clerk actually gasped "Oh my god! This must have been driving you crazy!"...

So far, device #2 is definitely scrolling the way it should. My headphone jack still seems a little screwy - but it's much better, I can actually use headphones now. If I don't uncover any other issues I will be extremely pleased. ::fingers crossed::

ALB
    08-09-09 03:39 PM
    Wtf is everyone's problem with a rippling screen? That's what ******* screens do when they aren't designed to be touched. Simple solution - don't push in your non-touchscreen phone. Jesus...
    08-09-09 03:43 PM
    First off I have had two Mexico 5s. My first had screen ripple and trackball issues. The second is faster, has no ripple, and a great trackball.

And elohel - a lot of us had screen ripple when simply pressing buttons, NOT the screen so shut your mouth.

08-09-09 04:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD