Just asking so I know when it comes out.

I like my Storm, but I think I might like a physical keyboard more. I want to know how I can get my hands on a Niagara when I'm in a 3 year contract with BELL. I asked BELL and they told me I can upgrade after 18 months on contract but I have to pay full price for the phone. I know some of you get the latest BB when it comes out. How do you do it? Am I stuck with my Storm for 3 years no matter what?

Thanks,
    04-09-09 10:55 AM
    Just asking so I know when it comes out.

I like my Storm, but I think I might like a physical keyboard more. I want to know how I can get my hands on a Niagara when I'm in a 3 year contract with BELL. I asked BELL and they told me I can upgrade after 18 months on contract but I have to pay full price for the phone. I know some of you get the latest BB when it comes out. How do you do it? Am I stuck with my Storm for 3 years no matter what?

Thanks,
    I know that on Verizon, after 1 year of the 2 year contract we can upgrade phones and get the 2 year discounted price as long as our current plan is $49.95 or larger.

I would double check that 18 month upgrade thing you mentioned, you should be able to "Upgrade" at "Retail Price" at any time, all that is, is buying a new phone and then having it activated on their network. I would assume that the 18 month upgrade would be at a discounted price (if a new 3 year plan is selected), again, because you should be able to buy a phone at retail at any time..right?

Could be different up in the Great White North...hope this helps!
    04-09-09 11:08 AM
    I got lucky and got a freak of a deal (at the time) on eBay (in November) for my storm. I think it was around 340.00 If i remember correctly... Maybe less.
    I'll be able to Grab the Niagara when it comes out, just because I still have an upgrade.

But you could sell your storm -
    Buy the phone for full retail (Say it's 500.000)
    You sell your storm for 300.00 (approx)
    Pay the difference (200.00) and it's pretty much the same price you'd pay with an actual upgrade
    04-09-09 11:11 AM
    I know that on Verizon, after 1 year of the 2 year contract we can upgrade phones and get the 2 year discounted price as long as our current plan is $49.95 or larger.
    really? i didnt know that. so i can get a new phone every year with my plan? that is awesome! do you have to do anything special??
    04-09-09 11:40 AM
    really? i didnt know that. so i can get a new phone every year with my plan? that is awesome! do you have to do anything special??
    Yeah I just found out about it recently after I got all excited over this new 9630. It's called "Annual Upgrade" and it's not very advertised, but supposedly, after your 1 year into your 2 year plan, on the internet (and I assume if you go in to a store or kiosk) when you go to look at phone upgrades, the 2 year discounted price should be available. I have not tested it yet though, as I am not into my 1 year until mid-May (coincidence...I hope so )
    04-09-09 11:57 AM
    Ok so if I get this straight, I can just walk in and buy a brand new Niagara, which will probably be around 500$. Activate it on my current plan (my 3 year contract and keep my number), and then my Storm is just another inactive phone? And I can sell it? This is allowed?
    04-09-09 12:04 PM
    Why are you people commiting to a phone that you haven't even tried?

Lemming:

The act of following the crowd into an investment that will inevitably head for disaster.
    04-09-09 12:16 PM
    Ok so if I get this straight, I can just walk in and buy a brand new Niagara, which will probably be around 500$. Activate it on my current plan (my 3 year contract and keep my number), and then my Storm is just another inactive phone? And I can sell it? This is allowed?
    u should be able to do that since ur paying full price for the phone. But ur still locked into ur contract because of the discount u received on ur storm. But carriers don't really care what phone u have, as long as the revenue for the discount is made up through the contract obligations...
    04-09-09 12:21 PM
    when it comes out for sprint ill be able to get it for 99$ or free will see o yeaaaaaaaa
    04-09-09 12:23 PM
    Why are you people commiting to a phone that you haven't even tried?

Lemming:

The act of following the crowd into an investment that will inevitably head for disaster.
    THANK YOU! I bet this same group jumped straight into the storm and became enraged when it didn't meet expectation. This group is destined to follow the same path again and again!

Just wait a few weeks at least! Let a few reviews come out! There's nothing so revolutionary about this phone that warrants an immediate purchase on day one, especially at full price! Geez!
    04-09-09 12:25 PM
    THANK YOU! I bet this same group jumped straight into the storm and became enraged when it didn't meet expectation. This group is destined to follow the same path again and again!

Just wait a few weeks at least! Let a few reviews come out! There's nothing so revolutionary about this phone that warrants an immediate purchase on day one, especially at full price! Geez!
    unless all you have is a dumb phone and your only other choice is the storm and curve, and you are up for an upgrade.
    04-09-09 12:41 PM
    Basically I was on my 3rd Curve 8330 and went back to VZW and told them I had no problem paying the disconnect fee or they could give me the Storm at the discount price.

They did after some arguing, then returned it 3 days later because I could not stand the touch screen (becareful of what you ask for).

Now I am in need of a 5th Curve, love it, but they are junk, and plan on using the same technique to get the new phone when it comes out.

When they replaced the 4th phone with the 5th phone, there is like an echo when the volume is turned up and it keeps losing connection with the memory card.
    04-09-09 01:14 PM
    Not that I condone insurance fraud, and I don't know if Bell has something like the Asurian insurance Verizon offers south of the border, but if you have some kind of no-fault insurance, the phone could suffer some kind of unfortunate accident. If they'll just give you the cash (minus a deductible) that's one option.

Best option though, is probably to get the phone unlocked, buy the Niagara at full retail/out of contract price, make sure you actually like it, and then sell your Storm on ebay or return the Niagara. If you sell your Storm, you may have to eat a small portion of the cost to make up the difference for the out of contract price for the Niagara, but probably nothing too horrible.

And to TMFoughty... Be careful what you say about the Curve around these parts. There are plenty of people who think it's the greatest phone RIM has made... Ever. And they are members of what I've dubbed Troll High's Cheer Squad. According to them, the Curve can do no wrong, people don't need multiple replacements, etc, etc. Just consider yourself forewarned.
    04-09-09 02:21 PM
    im not sure how exactly this would fit into your gameplan -- but I imagine that the longer you wait to sell the storm (and the more information that is leaked about the storm 2), the less money you'll be able to get for it.

especially if the storm finally has a nice OS running on it, now might be the best time to get one off your hands. this of course would potentially leave you without a phone until niagara came out, but as i said -- not sure about gameplan, but just for selling the phone... sooner rather than later imo.

-cow
    04-09-09 04:34 PM
    im not sure how exactly this would fit into your gameplan -- but I imagine that the longer you wait to sell the storm (and the more information that is leaked about the storm 2), the less money you'll be able to get for it.

especially if the storm finally has a nice OS running on it, now might be the best time to get one off your hands. this of course would potentially leave you without a phone until niagara came out, but as i said -- not sure about gameplan, but just for selling the phone... sooner rather than later imo.

-cow
    Yup, I agree! Sell it now before word of the storm 2 goes mainstream and no one will want the original

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-09-09 05:21 PM
    Sell it on ebay or see if you can get an early upgradee
    04-10-09 01:34 PM

that's what's so great about it! nothing revolutionary and all the latest features. we all know rim can make a great keyboard but that touch screen was a mistake imho. I know some people like it but I can't use one for $#!T and the bold is great so the niagara will be great too. plus I get to keep verizon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-14-09 10:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD