so besides the 1EXV and trick with the card, any other solutions or fixes??... just for reception?...
    01-28-10 03:13 PM
    PLease ware your tin foil hat when outside
    01-28-10 03:36 PM
    Trick with the card?
    01-28-10 03:57 PM
    Trick with the card?
    i think thats referring to fliping the sim card around, i have heard that it can make reception better but i have done it and didnt really notice a difference. I have the official .419 from mts and the radio has been really reliable, best for any os yet imo
    01-28-10 04:06 PM
    trick with the card huh well ill have to try that one out. doesnt both sprint and verizon have something like *228 to update roaming on their phones, does that help?
    01-28-10 04:44 PM
    so besides the 1EXV and trick with the card, any other solutions or fixes??... just for reception?...
    switch to Verizon?
    01-28-10 04:56 PM
    I know sprint has been having roaming issue with other carriers in certain areas. I know this has effected VZW customers. I am sure it is affecting Sprint customers as well.
    01-28-10 05:07 PM
    One way to improve reception is to update the PRL. However, Sprint's higher frequency signal does not penetrate the buildings' walls as well as Verizon's nor is Sprint's coverage as good in remote areas. Also, Sprint disabled manual force roam and the phone will hold on to a weak Sprint signal preferentially over a strong Verizon signal. Hate to say it, but the best way to improve reception is to leave Sprint
    01-28-10 05:58 PM
    Pull the antenna out......
    01-28-10 07:37 PM
    I concurr!cut the strings to sprint.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-28-10 07:47 PM
    I'm on Verizon and I've tried every "trick" to improve reception (there aren't too many and I refuse to wear a tinfoil hat ). I update my PRL on a weekly basis (just in case).

The signal I get on the Tour when I'm in my house (and often when I'm outdoors) fluctuates a lot, and I live in a strong Verizon-signal area. When I had my BB 8830 I had a solid and strong signal all over my house, no problems and no dropped calls. I had my first Tour-related dropped call this past weekend and it was with a doctor who I was anxious to talk with. Unfortunately, his phone number came through as a "Private Number" so I couldn't call him back; fortunately, he called me back (which isn't a given with doctors). Prior to this dropped call, I have had a lot of calls that weren't particularly clear.

Again, my BB 8830 never had this problem. I love my Tour because of the increased memory and the camera (the 8830 didn't have a camera), but I'm not thrilled with its reception. Considering that the reception is what makes it an actual phone, I guess saying the I "love my Tour" is an overstatement because in the end, I need it to be a reliable phone.

I guess I have a love/hate relationship with my Tour.
    01-28-10 08:05 PM
    I'm on Verizon and I've tried every "trick" to improve reception (there aren't too many and I refuse to wear a tinfoil hat ). I update my PRL on a weekly basis (just in case).

The signal I get on the Tour when I'm in my house (and often when I'm outdoors) fluctuates a lot, and I live in a strong Verizon-signal area. When I had my BB 8830 I had a solid and strong signal all over my house, no problems and no dropped calls. I had my first Tour-related dropped call this past weekend and it was with a doctor who I was anxious to talk with. Unfortunately, his phone number came through as a "Private Number" so I couldn't call him back; fortunately, he called me back (which isn't a given with doctors). Prior to this dropped call, I have had a lot of calls that weren't particularly clear.

Again, my BB 8830 never had this problem. I love my Tour because of the increased memory and the camera (the 8830 didn't have a camera), but I'm not thrilled with its reception. Considering that the reception is what makes it an actual phone, I guess saying the I "love my Tour" is an overstatement because in the end, I need it to be a reliable phone.

I guess I have a love/hate relationship with my Tour.
    Have you called tech support to see if anything can be done?
    01-28-10 08:08 PM
    Have you called tech support to see if anything can be done?
    Yes, I have. I've had my Tour since launch, so I've called tech support and even brought it to my local Verizon Wireless store. Naturally, when I'm in the store the reception is great so they can't do much to help.

I've been offered a refurbished Tour, but I'm already on my second Tour and I don't want to take a chance on another problem popping up a couple of months after getting another replacement. I know that the refurbs are usually great, but I don't want to take any chances because my trackball works fine (knock wood) and I've read about some people having trackball problems after awhile.

It comes down to choosing the devil I know or the devil I don't know. Based on the reception problem being reported by some people since launch, I'm guessing that a replacement would (might?) have the same reception problem.

I have to live with it for now and I have to stay with Verizon (only carrier that has decent coverage where I live, AT&T has way too many holes in coverage around here [metro NY/NJ area]). However, I have a feeling that it's Tour-related and at some point I'll be looking into my options.

By the way, right now my fully charged Tour is showing a signal of -110 dBM and no signal bars; however, I do have 1XEV, which is pretty consistent.
    01-28-10 08:29 PM
    Try flipping your sim card.... gave me a few bars in fringe areas. I woundn't switch to big red unless you have lots of extra $$ to through at your bill every month, not to mention their service around my area blows.
    01-28-10 11:30 PM
    I see there are many Sprint haters on here. U can buy a airrave for 79$ or flip the sim card. Don't switch to VRZN..they suck more than u can imagine plus they will milk ur pockets dry.
    01-28-10 11:40 PM
    i see there are many sprint haters on here. U can buy a airrave for 79$ or flip the sim card. Don't switch to vrzn..they suck more than u can imagine plus they will milk ur pockets dry.
    amen brother!!! :d
    01-28-10 11:47 PM
    For what it's worth, which may be nothing, I decided to change the housing on my Tour last nigt to see if that affected the reception. I was using one of the chrome-plated (painted?) housings (blue chrome). I've never touched the midplate, just the bezel and battery door.

The housing parts themselves are plastic, just like OEM, but the outside of the housing is what is chrome (or chrome-looking).

So today, maybe by pure coincidence, my reception seems to be a bit better. Who knows, it could be weather-related or just luck, but I'll see what happens in the long-run.
    01-29-10 01:15 PM
    Dip it in water It works
    Posts like this is what causes problems...

Anymore of this misguidance and you will get a warning.
    01-29-10 01:20 PM
    switch to Verizon?
    I was almost going to say that I've had Verizon since September last year though and the signal strength in my house (main floor of a 1 story) is not very good. 80% of the time it's at 1-2 bars, and another 10% it's at 0 bars. Outside I get 4-5.

Your comment was funny though cause I know Sprint does have major signal issues.
    01-29-10 01:43 PM
    I have yet to experience any benefit from flipping the SIM card. I continue to place that tidbit of advice into the myth bin.
    01-29-10 04:34 PM
    OS can affect signal strength/stability. 4.7 seems to have a pretty good radio, as well as 5.0.0.191 and 5.0.0.419. The other 5.0 versions I would stay away from if you're really concerned about signal.
    01-29-10 04:46 PM
    Okay someone please explain how to flip a sim card? The card only goes in one way!!! I may be missing something here; please explain
    01-30-10 12:23 AM
    I flipped and took out my SIM card, and the result was zilch/zero/nada improvement in reception.

The OP, who is located in NYC, should not have reception issues when outdoors - Sprint covers NYC metro area with very few holes. Indoors may be another story, but if reception in your home is bad then call Sprint and ask nicely/beg/hope they will give you an Airave and pay the charges (losts of us have done this a while ago ).
    01-30-10 06:38 AM
    Again... please explain what is flipping the sim card? IF one does this, the phones contacts does not hit the card at all rendering it useless. IS THIS THE INTENT?
    02-01-10 01:02 AM
    Again... please explain what is flipping the sim card? IF one does this, the phones contacts does not hit the card at all rendering it useless. IS THIS THE INTENT?
    That is the intent. CDMA doesn't use a SIM card so the Tour doesn't need it unless you need to roam on a GSM network. Some people have claimed that by removing the SIM card they get better reception. At some point people realized that you can flip the card upside down and stick it in the slot. This is the same as removing it but now you won't lose it or have to search for it when you need it to roam on a GSM network.

I got my Tour as a replacement and have never had a SIM card but I can get one from Sprint if I ever need to go out of the country with it. My reception isn't great though so I can't comment on whether or not removing the SIM card helps. I had to get an Airave from Sprint to be able to use the phone at home.
    02-01-10 08:53 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD