I "upgraded" the OS on both my girlfriend's and my own phone on the 19th to 4.7.1.61. I did mine through the DM and hers OTA. We are both now suffering from severely reduced battery life. Has anyone else experienced this "new feature"?
    11-24-09 09:22 AM
    I hope not. Just upgraded OTA as well. Still resetting. We'll see how it goes. Now that it's mentioned I'll keep a closer eye on it.

Let you know what I find.
    11-24-09 09:26 AM
    I've been on .61 for about a month with Sprint 9630. Have had no problems with battery life. I actually thought it seemed a little better. Is it possible that the upgrade switched on an application that is running in the background that maybe was off before ?
    11-24-09 09:30 AM
    After the update to .61 battery life seems better. I'm on third day of not charging the phone and the batter indicator is reading 50%.
    11-24-09 09:36 AM
    My battery life improved!!
    11-24-09 09:38 AM
    Is it possible that the upgrade switched on an application that is running in the background that maybe was off before ?
    Could be, but I checked and didn't see anything. I did find in another post that the upgrade automatically switched it back to Global mode under network settings, so I'm going to keep an eye on it day and see if switching back to 1XEV helps. I'm sure not getting any stronger of a signal though!
    11-24-09 10:43 AM
    You might wanna check your network settings cause the upgrade puts your phone back to global instead of 1XEV. Not saying this is the cause, but putting it back to 1XEV will help with battery life a bit.
    11-24-09 11:25 AM
    You might wanna check your network settings cause the upgrade puts your phone back to global instead of 1XEV. Not saying this is the cause, but putting it back to 1XEV will help with battery life a bit.
    Um, read the post before yours.
    11-24-09 11:41 AM
    Um, read the post before yours.
    Wow... sorry about that... somehow i missed that one.
    Thanks for the heads up.
    11-24-09 12:27 PM
    Duh never mind someone above already mentioned.
    11-24-09 12:35 PM
    I've upgraded mine OTA recently. So far the battery actually seems better on mine after the upgrade.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-09 12:56 PM
    this is my first time upgrading..should i backup all my files on DM before i upgrade?
    11-24-09 01:37 PM
    i had 5.0.0.230 installed but was getting terrible batt life, did a clean wipe and reinstalled 5.0.0.230 and for some reason batt life is AMAZINGLY better, i have no idea why
    11-24-09 01:37 PM
    this is my first time upgrading..should i backup all my files on DM before i upgrade?
    Always backup

11-24-09 01:39 PM
    Yeah you should backup regularly anyways but doing it before an OS upgrade is always a good idea. I've bricked blackberrys before during an upgrade. Luckily I had backed them up so I used BBSAK and fixed it. If I hadn't backed up I woulda been screwed.

11-24-09 01:42 PM
    thanks! how long do these upgrades usually take where i cant use my phone?
    11-24-09 01:46 PM
    i had 5.0.0.230 installed but was getting terrible batt life, did a clean wipe and reinstalled 5.0.0.230 and for some reason batt life is AMAZINGLY better, i have no idea why
    Every install is different, I cease to be amazed. If anyone is having battery issues I would highly recommend OS 5.0 and a subsequent hybrid.
    11-24-09 01:53 PM
    Around 2hrs. After you download the files to upgrade it will say the install can take up to 2hrs. I don't remember exactly how long mine took but assume around 2hrs for the process. Download it when you will be around but then install it when you go to sleep cause you wouldn't need phone then anyways. That's what I did.

11-24-09 03:58 PM
    I "upgraded" the OS on both my girlfriend's and my own phone on the 19th to 4.7.1.61. I did mine through the DM and hers OTA. We are both now suffering from severely reduced battery life. Has anyone else experienced this "new feature"?
    my battery life is worse now then it was before i upgraded. I switch it back to 1XEV and that didn't make a difference. I don't have any apps running in the background. I use to get over two days per charge and now I need to charge it every day.
    11-24-09 04:07 PM
    I am also getting much crappier battery life out of my phone since i upgraded to .61. I used to get very good battery life now it sucks. And i changed mine from global back to 1XEV right after the upgrade.
    11-24-09 05:48 PM
    I also think my battery life has suffered from upgrading to .61
    11-24-09 05:58 PM
    No change for me - Still awsome battery life.
    11-24-09 06:00 PM
    I had a strange experience too. The morning after (lol) I loaded .61 on my Tour, I noticed mysterious battery 'draining' even while the phone would sit for 2 hours, and would drop down 10% in battery charge.

UPDATE: By night, strangely.. the battery usage actually got better, and is discharging more slowly. It seems more robust.

Who knows, there are so many different apps and ways people use their devices, it's hard to troubleshoot really on the forums.
    11-24-09 06:23 PM
    Do a PRL update after you upgrade the OS... an uptate may be able to prevent Tour's radio from constantly scanning for a (weak) signal which may be draining the battery.
    11-24-09 06:32 PM
    thanks! how long do these upgrades usually take where i cant use my phone?
    Just some observations from my OTA upgrade.

Prior to installation I pulled my SanDisk� microSDHC� & inserted a blank one then I deleted all Txt, MMS, and email (hoping this would speed up the process). I decided to leave my 2 aftermarket applications installed.

For me, OTA download took 11 minutes. Actual installation time 46 minutes.

Reboot times prior and after are about the same at just over 4 minutes.

Battery life appears to be a little better..
    11-24-09 06:55 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD