I have a Otterbox Defender on my Tour and when I place it in the holster it does not vibrate or sound the custom ringtone when I get messages or phone calls. I know this can be changed and below is what I have changed but maybe I'm missing something.

Options>Ring Tones/Alerts>Phone>Sound in Holster: Yes, Vibration: Custom In and Out of Holster.

Options>Ring Tones/Alerts>Messages>SMS Text> Sound in Holster: Yes, Vibration: Off

I have done the above for all SMS, MMS. Now I also have Berry Buzz installed so:

Options>Ring Tones/Alerts>Other> SMS Reminder (BerryBuzz)> Sound in Hoster: Yes, Vibration Off

And of course my sound profile is set to Normal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I don't know what I am missing.
    Last edited by tas81685; 08-28-09 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Update
    08-28-09 04:24 PM
    check your notification volume. it may be set to mute
    08-28-09 05:17 PM
    And where is the notification volume located?
    08-28-09 05:19 PM
    sounds>set ring tones/alerts>phone>volume

make sure your volume does not say silent. follow the same procedure for messages, instant messages, remiders, etc
    08-28-09 05:24 PM
    Oh thats the same has:

Options>ring tones/alerts>phone

and all volumes are set at 10 there highest. I didn't know what active profile was doing to it.
    08-28-09 05:26 PM
    IDK on this one. If the otterbox has a magnet in it to put the tour in sleep mode the default setting on the tour is to vibrate first and then ring. Does your phone settings look like this:

Phone:

Ringtone - whatever you want
    Volume - 10
    Sound in Holster - Yes
    LED - On
    Vibration - In Holster Only
    08-28-09 05:40 PM
    Yes, and SMS vibration is off.
    08-28-09 05:48 PM
    Try uninstalling berrybuzz and see if that helps. Everything is set correctly. That has to be the culprit.
    08-28-09 05:56 PM
    Thank you driphter for the help.
    Removing Berrybuzz did work but I still need a solution where I keep berrybuzz the app I had to pay for.
    08-28-09 06:26 PM
    Thank you driphter for the help.
    Removing Berrybuzz did work but I still need a solution where I keep berrybuzz the app I had to pay for.
    I'd definitely take that up with the berrybuzz developers. File a bug report with them, send them a feedback email, whatever. I'm willing to bet you're not the ONLY one with this problem. You paid for the app, it should definitely work as you'd expect.
    08-28-09 06:52 PM
    Ok so I thought it was berrybuzz, but i'm on the phone with VZW support now wiping my whole phone. Apparently it didn't work from the original phone set up either, or in the original blackberry holster.
    08-28-09 08:48 PM
    Ok so after 2 hrs on the phone with Verzion we have determined the problem. If I make a custom ringtone for SMS, Phone, MMS, anything on a contact it prevents any SMS, or MMS ringtone to be played when that contact sends an SMS or MMS.

For example a standard ringtone is my default everyone SMS message alert. I make a song for my wife when she calls or a sound for SMS when she texts IT DOESN"T MATTER happens for either. Then when she sends me a text and IT IS IN THE HOLSTER I only get vibration and LED no sound. If it is out of the holster it will play that particular sms sound or ringtone for that person. Now if the person is not in my contact or the person is in my contact but does not have a specific ringtone (SMS or phone) then it reverts to the default ring or alert (as it should) and it works both in and out of the holster.

In the end while in the holster something in the software prevents my phone from playing the sound file for SMS, MMS, PIN, or Level 1 for a contact with a specific ringtone. I have been told to take it back and trade it out at a store (I'll try to do Monday). Or Verizon is going to report the issue with RIM for a fix in the software.
    08-29-09 12:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD