Hello,

I just wanted to introduce myself to this forum. I am new to both the blackberry and the tour. I'm coming from an old LG flip phone, always wanted to upgrade but was looking for the perfect phone. Since I'm stuck with Verizon and can't get the iphone I decided to finally pull the trigger on the Tour after passing up the LG dare, samsung insignia i believe, and the blackberry storm. I love the phone and just found this forum. After reading the posts for a week or so I decided to sign up and start posting.

First I would like to say that I have a green dot phone bought new in store at Verizon on October 8th. After reading the green dot posts and posts about faulty tours I'm starting to worry but I'm sure im in the clear. The date on the label says 100909 and Canada 1 made. The battery cover does move slightly up and down if that means anything, I read a post on here about that. The weird thing is under the messages for my phone on Oct 8th it said Welcome to Verizon wireless and Blackberry Registration messages. But before that on August 10th I have two messages that say Welcome to Verizon and Blackberry Registration. Does that mean its been used by someone on August 10th returned somehow and sold to me for $300 at the Verizon store? Or is the August 10th messages blackberry people making sure the phone is working properly?

Since I am new I don't know anything about the desktop manager, I haven't even installed the CD but I will after reading this forum. I am very interested in the OS upgrade and google maps and other cool apps that the blackberry world offers. Is there a flash download to view websites with flash? I read a post earlier about web browsing and the phone getting hot I can confirm that it does on the original OS just for reference. I will have to upgrade but not sure how to. Don't even have email setup haha so newbie.

Another newbie question about web browsing. I got the phone because I always wanted and needed internet on the go but these days even trying to go to yahoo it says redirecting on the bottom forever like 3-5 minutes before the page opens. Do I need the clear my browser history or turn off my cell phone or something to keep performance to tip top shape? Please let me know what I need to do for blackberrys I'm just used to leaving phones on 24/7 and charging when batterys low.

Thanks for reading my long introduction post, I will enjoy this forum and the new people I meet here.

-Ray
    Last edited by Parlay; 10-21-09 at 09:50 PM.
    10-21-09 09:40 PM
    welcome!
    to answer some of your questions..
    -the prior messages thing is normal. im not sure why it does that, but both of the blackberrys i've had, have done that when i first got them.
    -desktop manager is pretty essential if you ask me.
    -OS upgrade can wait.. but, if you find a link for OS 5.0.0.230 that works(the link that is), just download it to your computer, but dont install it. its a difficult download to get a hold of, so even if your not going to use it right away, save some headaches by grabbing it now. an OS upgrade can be a little tricky the first time, so i would hold off until you get a better grasp of the platform.
    -flash is not supported by blackberry OS at this point.. in the future, it will be.. so no way as of now to view flash on the blackberry. youtube, however, does work.
    -as for yahoo, try looking for a mobile yahoo page, maybe m.yahoo.com? or yahoo.com/mobile. pages render faster if there is a mobile version of it.

take a look here: http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101-how-lecture-series . this could answer most of the questions you might have.

one other thing.. one of the most useful tools is a battery pull. fixes just about everything. with your phone on, pull the battery out and replace it 30 seconds. from browser problems to errant notifications.. fixes them all most of the time.
    10-21-09 10:05 PM
    Also, Welcome!!

I appreciate you searching the forums and lurking for a while. There is such an enormous wealth of information on this site!

About your web page problem, when you purchased this Tour, did you add BIS (blackberry internet service) to your plan? If not, you will no have internet. However if you can open the browser then most likely you do have BIS. Just something to think about

I must agree with everything Kev said, but the biggest thing to do with the Tour is just use it!! It is such a power house, and can do more than just appears on the outside. Dig into your phone, use new programs, read about stuff then try it. As Kev said most mistakes can be solved by pulling the battery. Welcome to the addiction! Welcome to Crackberry!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-22-09 12:06 AM
    Hello,

First I would like to say that I have a green dot phone bought new in store at Verizon on October 8th. After reading the green dot posts and posts about faulty tours I'm starting to worry but I'm sure im in the clear. The date on the label says 100909 and Canada 1 made. The battery cover does move slightly up and down if that means anything, I read a post on here about that. The weird thing is under the messages for my phone on Oct 8th it said Welcome to Verizon wireless and Blackberry Registration messages. But before that on August 10th I have two messages that say Welcome to Verizon and Blackberry Registration. Does that mean its been used by someone on August 10th returned somehow and sold to me for $300 at the Verizon store? Or is the August 10th messages blackberry people making sure the phone is working properly?

-Ray
    Sounds to me like someone already activated the phone you bought. The carrier and Blackberry services send you a welcome message when you sign up/activate their services. So the date is shown when the messages were received or is the date in the email itself? Anyway enjoy your Tour and welcome to the forum!!!
    10-22-09 12:39 AM
    incorrect. they would have to inform you that it is refurbished or not new. its illegal not to inform someone of that.
    10-22-09 12:47 AM
    The battery cover does move slightly up and down if that means anything, I read a post on here about that. The weird thing is under the messages for my phone on Oct 8th it said Welcome to Verizon wireless and Blackberry Registration messages. But before that on August 10th I have two messages that say Welcome to Verizon and Blackberry Registration. Does that mean its been used by someone on August 10th returned somehow and sold to me for $300 at the Verizon store? Or is the August 10th messages blackberry people making sure the phone is working properly?
    Loose battery covers is a common issue for the phone. You might want to take the phone in and see if they'll let you swap battery covers and see if that fixes the issue. Some issues, though, are due to the phone and not the battery cover.

As for the Blackberry registration message, it is sent when the phone is registered onto the Blackberry network. I always see it after I do a full wipe of my blackberry and reinstall the OS. It's very likely your phone was previously activated before.

Since I am new I don't know anything about the desktop manager, I haven't even installed the CD but I will after reading this forum. I am very interested in the OS upgrade and google maps and other cool apps that the blackberry world offers.
    Desktop manager is crucial. It lets you backup and restore your information, install/remove apps, synchronize your data, etc. The CD is a piece of crap: maybe 99% of the CD's out there are useless (except as coasters). Just go to RIM's website and download desktop manager from online.

Another newbie question about web browsing. I got the phone because I always wanted and needed internet on the go but these days even trying to go to yahoo it says redirecting on the bottom forever like 3-5 minutes before the page opens. Do I need the clear my browser history or turn off my cell phone or something to keep performance to tip top shape? Please let me know what I need to do for blackberrys I'm just used to leaving phones on 24/7 and charging when batterys low.
    You might have to go into options and select "allow scripts". Scripts is disallowed by default. I just went to Yahoo, and it loaded up really fast. For a split second, I did see the message that it was running a script.

As for leaving your phone 24/7 and charging, you will want to get the app "autostandby". This will put your phone into standby mode when idle (you still get notifications and calls), so your battery will last twice as long. From time to time, you might want to do the infamous "battery pull". While the device is on, pull your battery out for 30 seconds. This will clear the memory and bring your phone back to tip top shape. Don't forget...your phone can multi-task, so check your apps from time to time and close the apps you're not using.
    10-22-09 01:28 AM
    In fact they can't sell a refurbish at new prices. The green dot just means that it has the better trackball, not necessarily that it was refurbished.
    10-22-09 01:34 AM
    Thank you all for reading my long posts and replying. This is a new and amazing device so thanks again for the help.

The message was under the envelope icon on the BB saying August 10. But I bought 0ct 8th. It seems to be working fine and stuff just thought it was odd at the time. I would return if something was wrong and to use that excuse but things seem ok so far.

As for the internet, I guess Yahoo! doesn't seem to work on my phone. At first I thought it was like a iphone and you can go to any website. But I now realize that you can go to most websites and others have mobile versions for people like us. mobile.yahoo.com opens up quickly but as stated earlier Yahoo! just says redirecting forever. It sucks flash isn't available yet but I can live with it. And I have enabled scripts under options for the future.

As for desktop manager, I went to the rim site and it says its 5.0.0 and my phone is 4.7.1.40, someone said earlier not to upgrade my OS until I get a feel for the phone. So should I use the cd that came with it or are those numbers not related. Thanks

Two more newbie questions?

1. As for apps should I always download them to my desktop and use the manager to install them or will downloading through my phone be ok? I just ask because I don't want any glitches to come about when I could have just asked. Whats the one thing I shouldn't mess with as a newbie? Just the OS?

2. I notice that there are times when I press on the keyboard only the screen is lit and the keyboard is dark. Shouldn't the backlight for the keyboard always turn on when I press a key or is that normal on BB's to have the screen come on then 10 sec later the keyboards light up? I ask because I feel it maybe a defect.

I'm slowly getting used to the phone but there is so much it can do.

Thanks fellow crackberrians
    Last edited by Parlay; 10-23-09 at 08:51 AM.
    10-23-09 08:45 AM
    to answer your questions...

1. idk i always download them through the phone and it works fine for me. you can always back them up on your pc later.

2. this is normal the led is also a light sensor so that the keyboard only lights up when the phone is in the dark and you press a button.
    10-23-09 08:55 AM
    Welcome on Board
    enjoy,.
    10-23-09 09:10 AM
    Welcome. Yahoo does work. Try Yahoo! Front Page. Also in browser setting general I prefer to have it set for column view not page view. By hitting the menu button you can change this on the fly. I just prefer to start in column view and switch when I need to. Other then some active X and script pages most web should open just fine. Good luck and welcome.

10-23-09 10:25 AM
    if you want a more "pc-like" mobile browsing experience, you can grab a 3rd party browser like Bolt or OperaMini. both are free and links can be found on this site or googled. out of those two, i prefer Bolt, but you be the judge. they render pages quickly and just like a pc.
    10-23-09 12:14 PM
    BB browser is limited and slow. Still don't know why people prefer it but if you want a fast browser and render just about any page like a PC get Bolt or Opera mini 5.

10-23-09 02:22 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry you will be very happy with your phone.

10-23-09 02:54 PM
    Looks like you're getting all your answers here. Welcome to CB and the Blackberry experience.

I noticed one thing you mentioned was your Yahoo! experience. If it's mail and contacts you're looking to manage, there is a Yahoo! app that you can download to your phone. The interface may be more pleasing to you. It of course doesn't provide everything that the Yahoo homepage does, but, there's plenty of other places to find that info.
    10-23-09 03:03 PM
    welcome to the addiction
    10-23-09 03:05 PM
    Thanks again I think everything has been answered. I will def look into bolt and opera.
    10-23-09 03:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD