I set up two Gmail accounts this way and it works great for receiving messages.

However, whenever I send an email from my Tour it does not show up on my Gmail account. Is anybody else having this problem?
    07-18-09 03:56 PM
    Does any one know if useing IMAP will eat more battery life than POP?
    If you receive a lot of messages, it could. POP and IMAP are no different as far as your phone is concerned, but with IMAP, the Blackberry servers send more messages individually.

Consider this example:

You receive emails at 12:01pm, 12:02pm, and 12:04pm. With IMAP setup, there are three separate "pushes" to your phone 0-15 seconds after each message is received. Each push causes your phone to vibrate (or play an audio alert) and temporarily knocks your phone out of standby, thereby consuming more battery life.

With POP, there is only one push at 12:05pm when all three messages are sent. Your phone only vibrates once. That takes less battery life, and keeps your phone in standby for a longer period of time, but you lose instant delivery.
    Now, a few extra pushes aren't going to make a significant difference to your battery life. But if you receive 15-30 emails per hour, it could make a significant difference.
    Last edited by bkdtv; 07-18-09 at 05:03 PM.
    07-18-09 04:02 PM
    This is a lot of extra work for nothing. I setup gmail on my tour the normal way and it uses imap, no need for the extra steps.
    07-18-09 04:13 PM
    Delete from server will never delete from phone.
    That is not correct. The message delete/read status will eventually sync up to the phone, but I've found that it can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 4 hours and usually happens at the same time another email is received. Yahoo email is able to sync both ways instantaneously (delete in Yahoo, it's deleted on the phone right away and vice versa) so this is not a limitation of BIS.
    07-18-09 04:13 PM
    where exactly is option 2 in your directions? "Select to set up an "Other" email account". I made it past option 1 (Got to Setup > Email Settings). After that I get to the BIS menu with 2 options: New users and existing users. Please elaborate. I'm with Sprint (tour). Thanks
    07-18-09 10:42 PM
    wow, that's cool. thanks kingzee!
    07-18-09 11:00 PM
    Thanks for posting this....i do have a question though...

How long did it take before your BB started to sync up with your gmail account ?

I ask this because I followed the steps, it's been 30 mins and still nothing.
    07-18-09 11:03 PM
    Thanks for posting this....i do have a question though...

How long did it take before your BB started to sync up with your gmail account ?

I ask this because I followed the steps, it's been 30 mins and still nothing.
    mine synced up right away. i got the "activation server" message for each gmail account and no problems!
    07-18-09 11:05 PM
    mine synced up right away. i got the "activation server" message for each gmail account and no problems!

Odd.

I got that message on my BB too, but still no new emails.

edit: I redid the steps and I got the "activation server" message sent to my actual e-mail account. Now it works.
    Last edited by In2uition; 07-18-09 at 11:44 PM.
    07-18-09 11:17 PM
    where exactly is option 2 in your directions? "Select to set up an "Other" email account". I made it past option 1 (Got to Setup > Email Settings). After that I get to the BIS menu with 2 options: New users and existing users. Please elaborate. I'm with Sprint (tour). Thanks
    It sounds like this is your first Blackberry. In that case, you need to click "New users" to create an account.

Note you can do all this on your computer with less effort. Just load sprint.blackberry.com in your web browser.
    07-18-09 11:21 PM
    It sounds like this is your first Blackberry. In that case, you need to click "New users" to create an account.

Note you can do all this on your computer with less effort. Just load sprint.blackberry.com in your web browser.

thanks. I did it online.
    07-19-09 07:10 AM
    What KingZee outlines here is correct, but as of very recently RIM has upgraded their BIS server, on which everyone with a BB can put either a BB email account or up to 100 other email accounts. Simply go to: https://bis.na.blackberry.com/ and log in (or create a new BIS account if you don't already have one).

Now you can have a BlackBerry email account pushed directly to your BlackBerry (precludes all the many steps you used to have to do...what KingZee has outlined here) by simply doing the following (and doing nothing on your BB itself):

- Create New Account
    - Enter username
    - Enter Password
    - Confirm Password
    * When the account is setup click on EDIT (upper right) and check the box for synchronizing deleted messages, then of course setup your BB to delete on handleld and server.

That's it! This works for Gmail (personal or Google Apps) HotMail, Outlook, "ANY" email address you have setup.

I discovered this after KingZee and I were having a conversation in another forum and was reading about the RIM BIS server update in yet another place. I tried it with my Google Apps Gmail account and two other email addresses I have and it pushed them to my BB and they showed up just perfectly...and were configured just as if I'd set them up using what KingZee posted here.

Another nice feature of doing it through BIS is if you want to suspend email on any account from being pushed to your BB, just go back to https://bis.na.blackberry.com/ and click on FILTER (upper right) and toggle between forward or not forwarding to your BB.
    Last edited by LarryMcJ; 07-20-09 at 06:41 AM.
    07-20-09 12:00 AM
    Thanks for the write-up!!! IMAP Gmail is excellent. I also decided to keep the gmail app as well though because it allows you to look up ALL the emails in your gmail account, not just the ones that sit on your Blackberry.....
    07-20-09 08:25 AM
    @JR_Rider:

I still prefer the Gmail App as well, but primarily because of no folders in IMAP and the fact that marking messages as read or deleting on the Gmail side takes several hours to show up on the BB. Forcing a reconcile just doesn't work. In fact, often messages deleted on Gmail never go away on the BB.

I really think the new Gmail Plug-in RIM is near releasing will fix all these problems and allow us to use Gmail IMAP and also have all our beloved Gmail features we don't have now.
    07-20-09 08:30 AM
    @JR_Rider:

I still prefer the Gmail App as well, but primarily because of no folders in IMAP and the fact that marking messages as read or deleting on the Gmail side takes several hours to show up on the BB. Forcing a reconcile just doesn't work. In fact, often messages deleted on Gmail never go away on the BB.

I really think the new Gmail Plug-in RIM is near releasing will fix all these problems and allow us to use Gmail IMAP and also have all our beloved Gmail features we don't have now.
    Agreed 100%. They both have their pros and cons. The Gmail app has more benefits at the moment though. I'm looking forward to the Gmail Plugin as well. It's in beta. I wonder how soon they are into completion? Anyone here from Google know? Or where can one beta test the app?

Thanks.
    07-20-09 08:40 AM
    @kingzee:

Here's the link to signup for the beta, but no one I know has ever made it and most of us signed up a long time ago when this was first leaked. Rumor has it by a Google employee on the Google newsgroups that it should be released in July. If true, that would be nice.

https://www.blackberry.com/beta/apply
    07-20-09 09:09 AM
    @kingzee:

Here's the link to signup for the beta, but no one I know has ever made it and most of us signed up a long time ago when this was first leaked. Rumor has it by a Google employee on the Google newsgroups that it should be released in July. If true, that would be nice.

https://www.blackberry.com/beta/apply
    Thanks! I've signed up. My application was also received. Hopefully it will be accepted/approved.
    07-20-09 09:20 AM
    I'm sorry if I'm being naive, but this is my first blackberry. It seems like setting up my Gmail through the normal method (going to email setting and adding a gmail e-mail) makes it imap? The emails are hitting my blackberry before it hits my online client. Is there a difference between the method the op put up and the normal method?
    07-20-09 09:26 AM
    I'm sorry if I'm being naive, but this is my first blackberry. It seems like setting up my Gmail through the normal method (going to email setting and adding a gmail e-mail) makes it imap? The emails are hitting my blackberry before it hits my online client. Is there a difference between the method the op put up and the normal method?
    No, there is no difference.
    07-20-09 09:27 AM
    No, there is no difference.
    There was a big difference for me. That could be because I have POP enabled on my Gmail account.

When I first added Gmail to my Tour, emails were taking anywhere from 30 seconds to five minutes to arrive. After I deleted and readded the account using imap.gmail.com, all my email arrived in under 15 seconds.
    07-20-09 09:58 AM
    There was a big difference for me. That could be because I have POP enabled on my Gmail account.

When I first added Gmail to my Tour, emails were taking anywhere from 30 seconds to five minutes to arrive. After I deleted and readded the account using imap.gmail.com, all my email arrived in under 15 seconds.
    He was asking if there was a difference between the instructions I gave for IMAP, and letting BB set up the IMAP automatically (if you have IMAP and POP off in your gmail settings). According to others, there isn't.
    07-20-09 10:15 AM

@bkdtv:

In order to use IMAP to the fullest you must *DISABLE* POP in your Gmail settings and have only IMAP enabled, or you'll get delays in messages arriving in BB Gmail IMAP. I've seen this posted hundreds of times and have personally experienced awhile back. I had forgotten POP was enabled and mail was not instantaneous through BB Gmail IMAP. Disabled it and it worked perfectly.
    07-20-09 10:31 AM
    One other little trick to get instant email notifications when using the Gmail App is to run the Gmail IMAP account concurrently and just hide it. I've set the notification alert on the IMAP account and disabled it for the Gmail account so now I hear the IMAP sound and I just do a quick refresh on the Gmail App and I have the new message.

Only downside to this is you have to live with the IMAP account envelope icon with it's erroneous message count at the top of the screen since it only reconciles about twice a day, but I got used to seeing that quickly and it doesn't bother me now.
    07-20-09 10:35 AM
    I have set up my gmail account through the Sprint BIS account and checked the box that says to sync deleted emails. I receive emails instantly on my BB, and when I read them on my BB they show as read when I log online on my computer, however, when I read new emails on my computer they do not show up as read on my BB. Is this the way it is for everyone, or did I not do the setup up process correctly? Thanks.
    07-22-09 03:45 PM
    ha wow intresting. i just downloaded the gmail app today. ha now i will be deleting it cuz now gmail works! but i wonder if there is a way to keep the icon
    07-22-09 03:55 PM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD