Hello all I posted this earlier on the Storm forum and have had good response. I'm reposting here on the tour forum.

Problem:
    When looking for cell phone service there currently is no good way to determine if where you are going to use the phone has good signal. The best you can do is invite your friend with the same carrier over to your house and work and look at their bars. You could look at the carrier maps, but they are unreliable.

Solution
    I developed an app that will help settle it once and for all. It collects signal strength information along with GPS information. This data (not automatically uploaded) can then be emailed to me and I have offline processing/analyzing on the data. The processed data is then overlayed on top of google maps.

With this data we can see which providers have the best signals in which areas, and maybe if we get the carriers attention maybe they will fix some of those dead spots.

Check out the proccessed data on this website: iblipped.com - blip

If you want to help gather data in your area, it's free and can run quietly in the background. Here's the OTA link:
    Index of /BB/1.3

Make the directory structure "blips/processed" on your smart card.
    Run the app and wait for satellite lock.
    After you gather some data hit menu->upload files.
    Hitting the End button will allow it to run in the background.
    Last edited by purplepalace; 11-11-09 at 10:12 PM. Reason: updated link
    10-09-09 02:32 PM
    waitafreakin'second....

So your map doesn't distinguish amongst the different carriers?

How is this useful, then?

-Stephen
    11-11-09 07:31 PM
    We are gathering data on many carriers all over the world now. At the top of the map there is an individual link for each of the carriers.
    11-11-09 10:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD