ok so here's the deal

I unlocked a Tour 9630 (on OS 5.0.0.975) and was trying to find a provider here to give me a pay-as-you-go data plan. Play, ERA, and plus suck (no BB's) but Orange.pl had some Bold's so obviously Blackberries can work on their network. I got a 1 GB card to start, and their only instructions to get it to work is to change the APN setting to internet, enable authentication with L/P internet and it should just work.

So, no Browser was pushed to my phone magically (figures), there's nothing in host routing table or service book sections. 3 different stores tell me its my phone, but i'm a BES Admin and would consider myself an advanced user of BB's. So i went out on a limb and kept trying BB App world AND IT WORKS, but it seems like every app i have only gets a data connection sometimes. I'm using Bolt browser on said SIM card and i just like the other apps, i have to click links a couple of times before it connects.

BB is set to GSM, ive tried both 2G and 3G settings individually and combined, edge never shows up in caps, and it does toggle to 3G occasionally but same results. I know when i deal with Sprint for work they have to push Service Books for the browser but the idiots in the store insist that the APN is all i need for data.

I've factory reset this phone and put back in all the settings but still like i said, only kinda works. My only thought left is when i look in the event logs, I keep seeing a connection being opened and closed to net.rim.tunnel Open-emgsm.vzw3g.com ...i'm thinking that the spotty connectivity is bc it keeps trying to connect to Verizon even with an Orange SIM card. I hate the way Verizon customizes their phones

I've been killing myself for a week and a half to get this to work - pleae, if anybody has any ideas to help me out, i'd really really appreciate it!
    05-29-11 04:44 AM
    Does your operator have BIS, or do they just offer the BlackBerry devices with generic plans? I am asking, since they told you to set the APN, which is not what you need to do when you are actually on a BIS plan.

Anyway, as far as I am concerned, the 9630 is just another BlackBerry and the fact that is not sold where you live at should not affect the connection at all. I received one yesterday, it's a Sprint one and I live in Greece, where they don't sell it. When I first put my SIM it would not register to the network, I could make calls and stuff but not use any BB apps. Anyway, I called CC and the rep resetted my BlackBerry account, I did a battery pull and it worked. So, yes, the phone DOES work normally outside the US and you can even get 3G speeds.

We are getting, therefore, back to what I asked; Does your operator have BIS plans? If so, do you have are you on one of these? I can't find another reason it wouldn't work. Updating your phone could also work, but I doubt it.
    05-29-11 05:27 AM
    Since that operator doesn't sell the Tour, you would likely need to manually load the Service Books for the carrier to the device. And the Service Books might not be available to load manually. So you might need to get a device that is supported by the carrier.
    05-29-11 05:53 AM
    Thank you both for your input. Yes, they do have BIS access - the only thing they said was they dont offer pay-as-you-go for BES (which is understandable, since the data tends to be alot more).

@Motorcycle - i was thinking that exactly, however I didnt think the rep was going to let the broken Polish-American who she doesnt know from anyone, back up service books from her BB and restore them on mine (since they don't have my model).

So, here's a question - are data service books Service Provider specific? Reason I ask is because my sister's company paid for Verizon's intl data plan so its using Vodaphone NL here without issue. She has a Bold 9650 - i was thinking of trying to restore her service books onto my Tour and see what happens...
    05-29-11 08:03 AM
    It's not about the Service Books. If you don't have BIS, then that's the reason.
    05-31-11 08:35 AM
    It IS about the Service Books.
    05-31-11 11:21 AM
    I can tell you it's not, I had managed to get my carrier's service books and load them onto the Tour and it didn't make a difference.
    05-31-11 01:22 PM
    You still have to have an ACTIVE BlackBerry Data Plan for it to work.

But without the proper Service Books, it will not work even with the data plan.

And the OP indicated that they have BIS.
    05-31-11 05:40 PM
    Then, how do you explain the fact that mine didn't work in the first place, even though I had loaded the Service Books and I'm on a BIS plan? They had to reset my account to get it working.
    06-01-11 03:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD