Well. I am obviously doing something very wrong!!! I am trying to install the BBM 5.0. I first downloaded the files for the Tour. I installed them on the computer, but they won't install on the phone via DM. (Incompatible with your device) is what it said. So....I've been searching the forums like crazy to find a solution. I downloaded the 5.0 files, but couldn't install them on the phone either.I've pretty much tried everything I could see suggested (I am currently running DM 5.0), but no luck.
    Now I am getting all confused.
    I previously had a storm, and I honestly don't know what files I have on the computer any more from that fiasco. I don't know if that could be causing a problem.
    Anyway, I have the Tour and am trying to install BBM 5.0 using DM 5.0 and getting the error message that it is not compatible with my device!
    Can anyone help this dope out?????? Thanks!!
    Last edited by momhasthree; 07-18-09 at 09:52 AM. Reason: for clarity
    07-18-09 09:46 AM
    apparently it doesn't work on a mac...i have a mac and only a mac...so i have to find a windows computer now...
    07-18-09 09:48 AM
    Hi! I'm not on a Mac but a PC. Still having the same problem though!
    07-18-09 09:49 AM
    apparently it doesn't work on a mac...i have a mac and only a mac...so i have to find a windows computer now...
    Works fine via bootcamp for me...

Also, on topic, overwrite the bbm files in your os install folder and run DM, should show an upgrade for you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Aver; 07-18-09 at 09:52 AM.
    07-18-09 09:50 AM
    whats bootcamp?
    07-18-09 09:53 AM
    Ok, if you're on a PC. What I'd do is uninstall EVERYTHING having to do with BlackBerry. Do that through Control Panel - Add / Remove Programs.

Once you've done that...

1. Install Desktop Manager 5.0.0.8
    2. Install the software for the Tour (available through the sticky in CB forums)
    3. Connect your BlackBerry to your computer and wait for it to recognize.
    4. Go to "Application Loader" , then "Add / Remove Applications"
    5. It will search your device for what is currently installed. Uncheck the box for BlackBerry Messenger (ALL versions, as you may have 2 on it).
    6. When it's finished UNINSTALLING BBM from the device, unplug the device, restart it.
    7. Reconnect it to the computer. It will seach in DM for software, don't worry, just cancel whatever it comes up with.
    8. Click "Application Loader" , then "Add / Remove Applications"
    9. You'll need to browse to where you have your BBM5.0 files for the Tour (should be version with 4.7.1). Highlight the ALX file, then DM should automatically recognize it.
    10. It will then bring you back to the menu to show you what is going to be added, select "Next". Let the software add the BBM5.0, restart. You should be g2g (good to go).
    07-18-09 09:55 AM
    07-18-09 09:57 AM
    Works fine via bootcamp for me...

Also, on topic, overwrite the bbm files in your os install folder and run DM, should show an upgrade for you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Shouldn't have to overwrite any files in the OS install folder. I didn't do it that way. I just didn't select the BBM that came with it after I wiped my device, then added it after a restart, browsed to the BBM5.0 folder I had in "My Documents", added it and I'm good to go.

You only have to put it in the OS folder IF you wipe and reload the device and when you are reloading it, you want it to automatically add the files to the device when it loads the OS.

It's only an extra step to uncheck BBM that is in the original device OS folder, then add the software from the one you unzipped.
    07-18-09 09:57 AM
    whats bootcamp?

and do you think i'd be able to install this at work? i don't have many admin rights but i do'nt need to get into the add/remove programs but it's the only place i have a PC right now. i just don't want to get stuck installing the 5.0 from the CD and then my phone is jacked up.
    07-18-09 10:15 AM

I agree, this is much easier..
    07-18-09 10:17 AM
    Downloading it OTA is easier, but I've seen a lot of people who are getting errors now of icons not showing up and all. I figure give them a fail-safe way to install it, as long as they can get to a PC, and they'll be good.

It's like we said in the Army... KISS! (Not insulting ANYONES intelligence)
    07-18-09 10:29 AM
    Thanks so much, I really appreciate the help! LOL But I must be even dumber than I thought!!
    Neither method worked!! LOL I think I am just gonna have to wait until it is released officially!
    But thanks for trying guys!!
    07-18-09 12:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD