I desperately need suggestions for a place to get my Tour repaired. I just got it last week, but did not get the insurance because the last time I had it, my phone got wet, and it was ridiculously hard to get a new phone out of them. However, it now seems I should have gone ahead and gotten the insurance anyway because I lost my phone in the rain. I did eventually find it, dried it out in a bag of rice for over 2 days, and then restarted it to find that the keyboard does not work. The buttons on the top of the phone also do not work (power and mute). I know that there are websites that repair blackberry's but I have not found one that says they do the Tour. Does anyone have a recommendation for me?

PS- I went to Verizon and they would not fix the phone, they also would not give me a new device for anything less than a 1 yr. extension of my contract and $319. Yikes.
    09-15-09 12:10 PM
    well since you already went to Verizon they probably noted your account. Otherwise you could have just had the phone "stolen" and paid the deductible for a replacement.
    09-15-09 12:18 PM
    I might even suggest buying the parts and trying to replace it piece by piece. Depending on how long the device was in the rain, it might be advisable to just get a new device. Try ebay for a cheaper phone.A warranty device center might be able to take a look at it, but even their troubleshooting techniques/part replacement is limited.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-15-09 12:25 PM
    You also have the option to do an out of warranty exchange for $50 and get a certified like new tour.

09-15-09 12:26 PM
    You also have the option to do an out of warranty exchange for $50 and get a certified like new tour.

Can I do this even though I don't have insurance? How would I go about this. Thanks for the reply.
    09-15-09 12:33 PM
    Well.....without insurance....you will have to purchase a new phone or try and find a used one on Ebay.
    09-15-09 12:46 PM
    Does Verizon require you to add insurance when you initially purchase the device?? I was under the impression that you have a 30 day window in which you can add insurance....Can somebody else confirm/deny? To the original poster...are you sure you don't have insurance? I was under the impression it would stay on unless you had them take it off. And a word to the wise....service providers usually won't replace the phone if they note it has water damage so don't even bother taking it into the store........
    09-15-09 12:57 PM
    Does Verizon require you to add insurance when you initially purchase the device?? I was under the impression that you have a 30 day window in which you can add insurance....Can somebody else confirm/deny? To the original poster...are you sure you don't have insurance? I was under the impression it would stay on unless you had them take it off. And a word to the wise....service providers usually won't replace the phone if they note it has water damage so don't even bother taking it into the store........
    you have to take the device in for them to add the insurance.
    09-15-09 01:02 PM
    I decided to send the phone away to a blackberry repair place. If they can't fix it, they won't charge me. The only thing I will have to pay is the shipping. They do fix water damage, so I just hope that the damage is not too extensive and that they can just swap out a few parts for me. If not, I am stuck buying a new phone. I guess this is a lesson in why it is important to get insurance.
    09-15-09 01:42 PM
    The 30 day exchange policy and the manufacturer warranty are void due to the fact the handset has water damage.
    09-15-09 02:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD