the sim i inserted came out of an i phone so no it dont. My main question is how do i know if the phone is unlocked or not. Can i go and get a different sim card that has BIS without paying an arm and a leg or can thay convert the one i have? and how do i figure out who the carrier was of this phone??
    12-07-10 03:43 PM
    the sim i inserted came out of an i phone so no it dont. My main question is how do i know if the phone is unlocked or not. Can i go and get a different sim card that has BIS without paying an arm and a leg or can thay convert the one i have? and how do i figure out who the carrier was of this phone??
    The device is apparently unlocked since it will accept the sim card you put in. It wouldn't work at all (no sms, no voice) without it being unlocked.

They should be able to switch the account you currently have to a BIS plan. You call ATT for that. The carrier the phone was used on previously isn't really relevant.

Go to manage connections/mobile network options and then set network technology to "GSM/UMTS" just to make sure it doesn't try to use any CDMA network it may see.
    ballcoda likes this.
    12-07-10 03:54 PM
    it picked up good signal with EDGE beside signal bar..not sure what that means but im guessing its a good thing?
    12-07-10 04:12 PM
    it picked up good signal with EDGE beside signal bar..not sure what that means but im guessing its a good thing?
    EDGE is the highest GSM (ATT in your case) data access it will get. EDGE is only 2g, but as pointed out before, the Tour (or other CDMA world phones, 9650, Storm 2, etc) will not get 3g on GSM in the US.

Was edge in capital letters or lower case? Without a BIS plan, I would expect it to be in lower case.
    12-07-10 04:20 PM
    it was capital. called att and tried to get internet working. (I do have BIS also) we went through process of goin to options, host routing table, and register now.. turned phone off and back on and no luck on getting browser to work... any other ideas??
    12-07-10 04:40 PM
    it was capital. called att and tried to get internet working. (I do have BIS also) we went through process of goin to options, host routing table, and register now.. turned phone off and back on and no luck on getting browser to work... any other ideas??
    Since AT&T does not sell the 9630, they do not have service books for it. You will need to manually add the proper service books. This thread is for the Storm, but the procedure will also work for the Tour.
    12-07-10 04:50 PM
    where would the passowrd be if i had a password?? would it be a password that unlocks the phone?? if so then i dont have one and its saying it aint hooked up right
    12-07-10 07:03 PM
    and what is the service book??
    12-07-10 07:22 PM
    Service books are pretty much just that. Files the carrier uses to tell your device what services you have and the server information for that as I understand it. Without proper service books, you cannot use your BB for data including MMS.
    12-07-10 08:08 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD