I'm going to be studying abroad in London for 7 weeks and I'd like to use my BlackBerry rather than buying a new phone when I get over there. I understand that I can purchase a SIM card to use while I'm over there. Has anyone done this before and have any helpful tips? Do I need to unlock it before I go overseas in order for it to work (I have Verizon)? Will BBM and my e-mail still work while I'm in the UK? Any help would be appreciated.
    05-22-10 11:46 AM
    There are some threads on this, here in this subforum and in the Verizon subforum.

Bottom line: to use a foreign sim in a Verizon phone it needs to be unlocked. For paid up customers of a certain length, they do it for free. Or you can find a private unlock company (they advertize here).

Foreign sim means a different phone number but cheaper PHONE rates. Coming by sim's that allow data is apparently a bit more challenging. Or you can opt into Verizon's GLOBAL plan. For the period in effect (pro rated), it removes your BIS ($30/month) and replaces it with $65/month for UNlimited data. Another $5/month gets a reduced phone call cost/minute. Global unlocks and provides the data on their plan so call them.
    05-22-10 12:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD