So I recently started noticing that my tour is not holding up as well as it used to in terms of battery life. I recently installed a new theme and a weather app (its set to only update every 4 hrs). Could this be causing the problem? How else can I maximize my battery life?

PS: before you start yelling at me, yes I did search this before starting a new thread and have taken those other pieces od advice into account

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-09 07:44 PM
    Set backlighting all the way down to 20
    Turn off bluetooth and gps when not in use
    Make sure you are set to 1XEV and not global
    Use standby mode when setting phone down
    Hmmm cant think of anything else right now.
    Oh yeah, close unused apps running in the background.

11-24-09 08:08 PM

Thanks, I made sure I did all of those thingsm. Hopefully it helps.

11-24-09 08:20 PM
    Check your GPS. Set GPS services to e911 only. This will help with battery life.
    11-24-09 08:38 PM
    Check your GPS. Set GPS services to e911 only. This will help with battery life.
    Hmmm how do I do that?

11-24-09 09:16 PM
    Once tour ready install OS 5.0.230. Backlight to 10 and have it shut off after 10 seconds. And before you unplug in the morning do a reboot to close unused apps. Alt+aA+del

11-24-09 09:37 PM
    I get About 16 hours on average. Depending on internet usage. Another thing tRy using a belt clip/case. Since I have started using the case I notice an increase in batt life. As much as 25%. Get. the one that puts it in sleep/standby mode. Set up contacts accordingly to only vibrate when I holster. Another cool thing I like about the belt clip case is when it vibrates I remove it from the case and it goes to the most current msg just sent. I have mine set up as follows. 4 short pulse/vibrate means texted msg 10 long pulse/vibr
    ate is bbm. And 10 short pulse/ vibrate is for phone. You can one up it and set contacts accordingly. Once you learn the pulse/ vibrate its easy to decode which is which.

11-24-09 09:37 PM
    Try to keep unused programs closed

11-24-09 09:47 PM
    I know it's reasonable to expect the stock 1400mAh battery to get you through the day, and then some.

However it's extremely difficult, we know that. With my stock battery sometimes I couldn't get through the day, even on moderate usage. Heavy usage would always warrant charging mid-day, while I was at my desk.

I got the 2600mAh battery from Seidio, and I swear it's changed my life.

Yesterday, was an extremely heavy usage day.
    -Pulled my phone off the charger at 6:00AM
    -Bluetooth is always on. During the day, it's always paired with a headset
    -Windows Live Messenger is always running, and signed in. I used it heavily yesterday.
    - 3-1 hour+ conference calls, two of which were done over bluetooth, one on speakerphone
    -Bluetooth audio screaming on my way to the office (40 minutes total)
    - 1:30 minutes worth of tethering, over bluetooth.
    -75 emails, all viewed
    -30 minutes of Slingplayer
    -By 10:00, my battery was at 65%

Today, was a light day:
    -pulled off the charger at 8:00AM
    -2 conference calls (30 minutes)
    -a few calls
    -25 email (all viewed)
    - it's now 10:00, battery is at 95%

Over the weekends, under light use, I can go without charging the battery from Thursday morning until Sunday evening.

This was not possible with the stock OEM battery. Though I have no official battery tests to prove so, I know that I've gained well over the almost double I should get from 1400 to 2600mAh.

Things I did to help the battery life prior to the 2600mAh battery:
    -lower the screen brightness (changed back after seido battery)
    -turn off bluetooth when not in use (now on 100% of the time)
    -never leave applications running resident
    -carry a charger with me, always

-
    11-24-09 10:09 PM
    While I was browsing recently for a Tour case, I came across a new case by CaseMate that recharges the battery while the device is in the case. It's advertising promises significantly increase battery life like " up to 9 additonal hours of talk time, up to 250 hours additional for standy time, up to 7 additional hours of internet usage, up to 8 additional hours of video playback beyond standard Tour battery life..." It's a tad expensive, just a tad. Retails at $79.99, but it has protective case, holster, and battery recharger all in one. Here's the link if you want to check it out...Case-Mate BlackBerry Tour 9630 Fuel - Rechargeable Battery Pack (Case-Mate CM010043), BlackBerry Tour 9630 Cases, Holsters, Skins, and Accessories in Premium Leather

What I do to improve battery life has been stated from other users in this thread, but I do have the Tour charging when I use streaming apps like Pandora or Moodio.fm. I have found that the streaming apps will kill your battery real fast, as will having bluetooth on for a long period. This CaseMate Fuel case looks promising, because the web site says you have the utility to use the battery recharging only when you need too, so, you can turn it on and off as needed.
    11-24-09 10:43 PM
    I know it's reasonable to expect the stock 1400mAh battery to get you through the day, and then some.

However it's extremely difficult, we know that. With my stock battery sometimes I couldn't get through the day, even on moderate usage. Heavy usage would always warrant charging mid-day, while I was at my desk.

I got the 2600mAh battery from Seidio, and I swear it's changed my life.

Yesterday, was an extremely heavy usage day.
    -Pulled my phone off the charger at 6:00AM
    -Bluetooth is always on. During the day, it's always paired with a headset
    -Windows Live Messenger is always running, and signed in. I used it heavily yesterday.
    - 3-1 hour+ conference calls, two of which were done over bluetooth, one on speakerphone
    -Bluetooth audio screaming on my way to the office (40 minutes total)
    - 1:30 minutes worth of tethering, over bluetooth.
    -75 emails, all viewed
    -30 minutes of Slingplayer
    -By 10:00, my battery was at 65%

Today, was a light day:
    -pulled off the charger at 8:00AM
    -2 conference calls (30 minutes)
    -a few calls
    -25 email (all viewed)
    - it's now 10:00, battery is at 95%

Over the weekends, under light use, I can go without charging the battery from Thursday morning until Sunday evening.

This was not possible with the stock OEM battery. Though I have no official battery tests to prove so, I know that I've gained well over the almost double I should get from 1400 to 2600mAh.

Things I did to help the battery life prior to the 2600mAh battery:
    -lower the screen brightness (changed back after seido battery)
    -turn off bluetooth when not in use (now on 100% of the time)
    -never leave applications running resident
    -carry a charger with me, always

-
    Isn't this an extended battery? I don't know why the batteries that have larger capacity have to stick outside the phone. Is there a technical issue for why? Do you know?
    11-24-09 10:48 PM
    Try charging your battery for 12 - 16 hours, every time you need to charge it. I did it 3 times and it has helped greatly. I guess it's kind of a way to break in the battery.
    11-24-09 11:44 PM
    Isn't this an extended battery? I don't know why the batteries that have larger capacity have to stick outside the phone. Is there a technical issue for why? Do you know?
    No, it's an internal battery. It is larger than the stock OEM battery, and thus requires a new battery cover (included). Search for it, there are tons of posts about it.

I travel, a lot! It's exactly what I needed.
    11-25-09 12:09 AM
    No, it's an internal battery. It is larger than the stock OEM battery, and thus requires a new battery cover (included). Search for it, there are tons of posts about it.

I travel, a lot! It's exactly what I needed.
    Definately sounds worth looking into! I go research it in my browsing efforts. Thanks for you feedback.
    11-25-09 12:14 AM
    Thanks for all the advice guys. But do you think it has something to do with my theme? I only started noticing the battery life problem once i installed a new theme. And a weather app that only updates every 4 hours????
    11-25-09 12:18 AM
    Thanks for all the advice guys. But do you think it has something to do with my theme? I only started noticing the battery life problem once i installed a new theme. And a weather app that only updates every 4 hours????
    Ive only heard of themes causing memory leaks and lagg but never reducing battery life (i guess its possible). You also get more/less battery life with different OS versions. If i could suggest anything is to go back to stock theme , keep all the same settings, and check you battery life. You can uninstall your weather app and monitor your battery life... Go by process of elimination.

11-25-09 05:57 AM
    I am running the 5.0.0.238 hybrid OS. This has helped my battery life so much. I honestly get 2-3 days per charge. I get about 30-40 emails per day. I listen to music, text all day, and use IM programs. When I was running the .230 OS I was getting about 1 day on a charge, using the phone the same amount.
    11-25-09 07:41 AM
    All I can say is I second the seidio ext battery. I have a curve and always use the ext battery. The other day I threw the oem battery in and before I knew it I was already at 65% and not even through half the day. This battery has changed the ways I have used my berry!!

11-25-09 08:47 AM
    While I was browsing recently for a Tour case, I came across a new case by CaseMate that recharges the battery while the device is in the case. It's advertising promises significantly increase battery life like " up to 9 additonal hours of talk time, up to 250 hours additional for standy time, up to 7 additional hours of internet usage, up to 8 additional hours of video playback beyond standard Tour battery life..." It's a tad expensive, just a tad. Retails at $79.99, but it has protective case, holster, and battery recharger all in one. Here's the link if you want to check it out...Case-Mate BlackBerry Tour 9630 Fuel - Rechargeable Battery Pack (Case-Mate CM010043), BlackBerry Tour 9630 Cases, Holsters, Skins, and Accessories in Premium Leather

What I do to improve battery life has been stated from other users in this thread, but I do have the Tour charging when I use streaming apps like Pandora or Moodio.fm. I have found that the streaming apps will kill your battery real fast, as will having bluetooth on for a long period. This CaseMate Fuel case looks promising, because the web site says you have the utility to use the battery recharging only when you need too, so, you can turn it on and off as needed.

HOLY SH**!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is PERFECT!!
    11-25-09 09:41 AM
    Ive only heard of themes causing memory leaks and lagg but never reducing battery life (i guess its possible). You also get more/less battery life with different OS versions. If i could suggest anything is to go back to stock theme , keep all the same settings, and check you battery life. You can uninstall your weather app and monitor your battery life... Go by process of elimination.

Okay, i'll try that. Ugh, this is really frustrating considering my tour used to run for days on one charge! Thanks for your advice though.
    11-25-09 10:38 AM

This will do it, I made many of these changes and I can go two days of normal use.
    11-25-09 10:52 AM
    Sup, just adding to this topic with yet another question. I've noticed that my battery life has drastically changed on my Tour as well. I've just not changed my user habits at all, still using the same as before, I've never downloaded any apps except Pandora. But, I've always used Pandora, texting and browsed internet some, but no more than usual.

Could my networks coverage be causing my phones battery to drain quicker? Also, I checked and my phone was set to Global instead of 1XEV, so I changed that. The phone is set up default on GLOBAL instead of 1XEV. Can someone explain exactly how this setting increases battery life? I'm assuming it just keeps phone from searching for another type of network??

Anyways, I noticed about a week ago both of my OEM batteries were draining faster than usual. Also, something that helped my BBRY experience tremendously was purchasing the OEM external battery charger (ASY-18976-002) and a spare OEM battery (OEM DX-1). It is awesome to be able to charge your battery without having to plug you phone up to wall. I've had it every since I bought my tour or being able to charge both batteries at once if needed!! Great investment!! Plus, I get the benefit of pulling my battery and re-gaining all that lost memory each time I swap batteries. The 8330 curve had a much better battery life than this tour, but I Love this tour so much more!! Thanks!
    11-29-09 08:20 PM

Or you could just turn it off and use it for a paper weight!
    11-29-09 08:56 PM
    Not sure of your situation as far as what you do all day. If you are at a desk the BB charging pod works great. I spend about half my day at my desk and the other half out in the field. When at my desk I just pop it into the pod and for the most part that is the only time my phone gets charged.

I love the case though. Holds the phone and charges it........Great idea.
    11-29-09 09:27 PM
    I bought the extended battery described above because the stock battery was simply unacceptable. It would die 3/4 of the way through the day with medium usage.

I do all day bow hunting sits and like to surf and play while waiting for deer. With the extended battery I can do this for 9 or 10 hours of fairly heavy usage and I'll still have 20% in the bank.
    11-29-09 11:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD