Seems like when I put in earphones the noise still comes out of the tour and not the earphones. Am I doing something wrong, or is it broken?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-13-09 08:28 AM
    I've noticed this with older after-market headphones. The headphones supplied by RIM work just fine. I also noticed there are three notches on the RIM headset and two notches on the headset that was having issues.
    07-13-09 08:50 AM
    mine doesnt work on any of them that i have tried, not even the rim supplied ones. it is going back this week at some point.
    07-13-09 08:54 AM
    Sounds like you guys got a couple lemons. Go and exchange them.
    07-13-09 08:56 AM
    Seems like when I put in earphones the noise still comes out of the tour and not the earphones. Am I doing something wrong, or is it broken?

make sure the jack is not pushed in so far...that seemed to have fixed some users problems with the jack
    07-13-09 08:58 AM
    I've noticed this with older after-market headphones. The headphones supplied by RIM work just fine. I also noticed there are three notches on the RIM headset and two notches on the headset that was having issues.
    3 rings is stereo and 2 is mono
    07-13-09 08:59 AM

They do work, but you have to pull out the headphones a tad. If you push them all the way in (so there's only 1-2mm of metal showing) it will NOT work. However, pull it out one "click" (so about 5mm of metal is showing) and it will work fine. Not sure if it's a problem with the phone or the earbuds.
    07-13-09 08:59 AM
    If I push my RIM ones in all the way, they still work....my older ones, however, I need to pull slightly out for them to work....odd.
    07-13-09 09:04 AM
    are all of the tours like this then? if so, then iw ill just keep mine.
    07-13-09 09:17 AM
    Ok tried my bose just now and no problems.

07-13-09 09:22 AM
    3 rings is stereo WITH microphone. 2 rings is just stereo. One ring is mono.

07-13-09 09:33 AM
    is anyone not having any problems at all because i want to exchange mine, but if im just gonna have the same problem, theres no point.
    07-13-09 09:41 AM
    Bump

07-13-09 12:11 PM
    I'm not having any problems at all-- three different sets of headphones work fine.
    07-13-09 12:15 PM
    is anyone not having any problems at all because i want to exchange mine, but if im just gonna have the same problem, theres no point.
    I just tried with an old pair of Sony Walkman headphones, and they work fine. Pushed all the way in.
    07-13-09 12:19 PM
    I'm having no problems - haven't tried to use the mic on the supplied headphones, but all of my others seem to be working without any problems.
    07-13-09 12:48 PM
    3 rings is stereo WITH microphone. 2 rings is just stereo. One ring is mono.

Thank You ... I was going post the same thing.
    07-13-09 12:50 PM
    actually 3 metal rings is stereo because of the ground.
    i called verizon and they said no problem. if this isnt an issue across the board i will return it. i would really like to use headphones on my tour.
    07-13-09 12:53 PM
    Mine works fine with a pair of Sony earbuds. However, every time I plug them in it triggers the voice dialing program (only two rings, no mic). I have to wait for it to time out (waiting for response) twice before the program terminates and music plays. Is there a way to disable this?

Edit: nevermind. I must have been pushing against the left side convenience key while pushing in on the headphones. This must have been before I reprogrammed the button. Doesn't happen anymore. Headphones works perfectly.
    Last edited by Flatland2D; 07-13-09 at 01:07 PM.
    07-13-09 12:56 PM
    actually 3 metal rings is stereo because of the ground.
    i called verizon and they said no problem. if this isnt an issue across the board i will return it. i would really like to use headphones on my tour.
    this is incorrect.

There is 1 ring per channel, no ground.

Mono - 1 ring
    Stereo - 2 rings (left channel/ right channel)
    Mic + Stereo - 2 rings (left channel/ right channel) last ring (the one closest to the tip) Microphone.

I have a pair of bose headphones, zune OEM headphones, and the ones that came with the tour in front of me. I also have an old pair of sony walkman with one ring (mono)...the mono do not work. The rest are fine.
    07-13-09 01:11 PM

So then why are there 3 rings there? Unless I am referring to something different.

Here is a pinout of what you are saying. There is a ground on headphones. Here are a few images

The one furthest from the tip is always ground where just audio is concerned, at least afaik.
    Last edited by Syco54645; 07-13-09 at 03:25 PM.
    07-13-09 03:18 PM
    Just so that people know I returned my tour. It now works great with the headphones. Everything else that was wrong is working fine too.
    07-13-09 05:53 PM
    If I could get the aux cable to work from tour to my car I would be extremely happy. I wonder if I should go exchange it out to see if that's the issue I have to hold it a certain way or it doesn't work and some times just wiggle it. Just a bit frustrating
    07-19-09 05:42 PM
    I fixed this by wiping the os. From what I can tell its a problem with the os detecting the headphones getting plugged in.

07-19-09 07:10 PM
    Mine works great. I connected it to my stereo with a 3.5mm to RCA adapter and I finally have pandora on my stereo. It was a happy time indeed.
    07-19-09 08:52 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD