Hi all,

I am having a hard time figuring out why I should upgrade from my current Curve to the Tour.

Here are the advantages I see:
    1) Faster (nice but it's not THAT much faster to make it worthwhile to me)
    2) Newer BBM (but the one I have works fine for what I need).
    3) Better browser (supposedly. but I have heard it still sucks)
    4) Visual Voicemail (I had a Storm for a brief time and I LOVED Visual Voicemail - so that's an acknowledged plus).
    5) better keyboard (but I do just fine with the Curve keyboard)
    6) better screen (that's nice. doesn't make me want to spend for it though)

BUT, it STILL doesn't have WiFi. It can't do anything really new like Flash (drooling over that on the new HTC Hero - but I'm BB all the way and will wait forever for RIM to come up with Flash). And it's not a touch screen. So the UI is basically the same as my curve.

So there you go...

Convince me I'm wrong and there's something I'm missing.

Here's what I want:
    1) Flash compatability (really want that so I can integrate and control my house a/v system from my phone)
    2) Need a REAL keyboard (so the Storm series is not an option to me)
    3) Want the touch screen control of the Storm
    4) WiFi. I know that the Tour is supposed to be the last Verizon BB without it. SO why am I buying the last BB ever to NOT have WiFi???
    5) A nice clean UI - Give HTC the BB Os and let them turn it into something special. Still the heart of a BB, but bring it into this millenium.
    6) Is it too much to ask that Verizon come up with a way to transmit data and voice at the same time (like the Bold)???

I threw the target. Now it's time for everyone to shoot!
    07-25-09 09:24 PM
    I think you pretty much answered your own questions =)
    07-25-09 09:29 PM
    Yeah, the only thing from your want list that is on the Tour is the real keyboard. And I feel the OS is the cleanest. Nothing is cleaner than lists. WM has icons, mutiple pages of icons for all their settings. Agree with the HTC comment. They have done wonders with WM

to add: as i came from a sprint curve to sprint tour.

1. Yes it is technically faster. but i honestly have compared the curve and tour side by side and sometimes the curve is more responsive: hitting the menu key to bring up apps screen is faster on curve. but closing back to homescreen is faster on curve. bringing up message list from homescreen is faster on curve. overall menu bring-ups are faster on my curve. however, actually using the apps once they are brought up, the Tour is faster. Havent seen an hourglass yet, aside from booting up.
    2. dont use BBM enough to make comment
    3. browser is amazing. way faster. may be due to Rev.A. or better browser. or both. but it is definately a joy to use when configured correctly.
    4. sprint doesnt have VVM
    5. thought i was fine with the curve keyboard, and found it awkward to type on tour at first. now its the best keyboard ive used on any qwerty phone.
    6. WAY better. this is how ALL screens should be on mobile phones. Tour has almost 1.5x the PPI of the curve. making for extremely crisp and sharp images.
    Last edited by rogo22; 07-25-09 at 09:36 PM.
    07-25-09 09:31 PM
    Then don't buy the tour. Simple.

Posting here isn't going to magically change your mind.
    07-25-09 09:31 PM
    I know. I'm having a hard time figuring out why everyone is totally freaking out over the Tour...

I am hoping someone tells me something major I'm just missing completely.
    07-25-09 09:32 PM
    +1

You gave positives and shot them all down. Go with whatever you want/need. If you don't feel the need to spend that much for an upgrade that from your words isn't worth it, then don't.
    07-25-09 09:32 PM
    iKith, you have the thing.

Is there an advantage i'm missing? Something else that makes the Tour just blow the curve away?

Is it THAT much faster? I guess I could see upgrading if it's lightning compared to the curve...

I'm a techno nut and am honestly trying to talk myself out of a frivolous expense. I want the Tour (very badly - because it's the latest and greatest), but just can't seam to justify it.

I'm looking for that justification. That thing I'm missing that says, "You SO need to get a Tour riight now!".

Thanks
    07-25-09 09:37 PM
    I know. I'm having a hard time figuring out why everyone is totally freaking out over the Tour...

I am hoping someone tells me something major I'm just missing completely.
    i edited my post above with my input on the tour over the curve
    07-25-09 09:37 PM
    iKith, you have the thing.

Is there an advantage i'm missing? Something else that makes the Tour just blow the curve away?

Is it THAT much faster? I guess I could see upgrading if it's lightning compared to the curve...

I'm a techno nut and am honestly trying to talk myself out of a frivolous expense. I want the Tour (very badly - because it's the latest and greatest), but just can't seam to justify it.

I'm looking for that justification. That thing I'm missing that says, "You SO need to get a Tour riight now!".

Thanks
    All of the positives that you listed in your original post. Go read them and then say "These are the reasons I should buy the tour" .
    07-25-09 09:42 PM

I want the Tour (very badly - because it's the latest and greatest), but just can't seam to justify it.
    For most "The latest and greatest" is the main reason why they got the phone.
    07-25-09 09:46 PM
    You forgot the better camera with auto focus, as well as the world capabilities of the phone.

It also feels better in the had than the Curve. Much more solid feeling.
    07-25-09 09:50 PM
    It sounds like you know what you want from the Tour and what you don't like about it. So how can anyone really make your mind up for you. Either you are going to buy it or your not and it sounds like you already made your decision probably before you posted this. So do what you think you should do and what's best for you, not what others tell you to do.
    07-25-09 09:51 PM
    Hi all,

I am having a hard time figuring out why I should upgrade from my current Curve to the Tour.

Here are the advantages I see:
    1) Faster (nice but it's not THAT much faster to make it worthwhile to me)
    2) Newer BBM (but the one I have works fine for what I need).
    3) Better browser (supposedly. but I have heard it still sucks)
    4) Visual Voicemail (I had a Storm for a brief time and I LOVED Visual Voicemail - so that's an acknowledged plus).
    5) better keyboard (but I do just fine with the Curve keyboard)
    6) better screen (that's nice. doesn't make me want to spend for it though)

BUT, it STILL doesn't have WiFi. It can't do anything really new like Flash (drooling over that on the new HTC Hero - but I'm BB all the way and will wait forever for RIM to come up with Flash). And it's not a touch screen. So the UI is basically the same as my curve.

So there you go...

Convince me I'm wrong and there's something I'm missing.

Here's what I want:
    1) Flash compatability (really want that so I can integrate and control my house a/v system from my phone)
    2) Need a REAL keyboard (so the Storm series is not an option to me)
    3) Want the touch screen control of the Storm
    4) WiFi. I know that the Tour is supposed to be the last Verizon BB without it. SO why am I buying the last BB ever to NOT have WiFi???
    5) A nice clean UI - Give HTC the BB Os and let them turn it into something special. Still the heart of a BB, but bring it into this millenium.
    6) Is it too much to ask that Verizon come up with a way to transmit data and voice at the same time (like the Bold)???

I threw the target. Now it's time for everyone to shoot!
    Then DON'T upgrade...simple as that...end of story...Mod, please close thread please...
    07-25-09 09:53 PM
    One other thing is that the Curve cant upgrade to the OS 5.0 once it is released. The Tour can, plus it is a lot quicker when syncing for some reason.
    07-25-09 09:55 PM
    And the flashlight function on the video side is really bright.
    07-25-09 09:56 PM
    You shouldn't upgrade. Its people like you that keep our tours more rare

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-25-09 09:57 PM
    You shouldnt really get a tour unless you plan on traveling internationally. The curve is the same thing with older software and a not as crisp screen.

other than that pretty much the same
    07-25-09 11:03 PM
    Much more internal RAM on Tour, if that matters to you.

07-25-09 11:12 PM
    Go play with the demo units!!! :P

07-25-09 11:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD