Hi All,

I'm a Tour on VZW person. In a week I am going to Italy. I want to be able to use my phone and date (email/text) Each time I call VZW CS I get a slightly different response. Sometimes I'm told I just need to make sure that my sim card ID is listed in my account with them and that that is free. Sometimes I told they charge $4/month for that. I seem to be told that to get data over there I need to pay $65/month but they will pro-rate it back if I turn it off when I get back.

Is there any advantage to un-locking my phone?

Any insight..?

Thanks!
    Evan
    06-28-10 09:23 PM
    Generally, unlocking the phone allows you to use a foreign (Italian) sim card but that is generally for PHONE calling. Few sim cards over there have a data plan although it is supposedly possible to find one. You can call and get verizon to unlock it if you have been a customer for a certain time and billings are current.

GLOBAL - it is $65/month but replaces your current $30 plan or is pro-rated. So, in effect, you pay $35 more per month (again pro rated, two weeks would be less costs). Data is UNlimited. For another $5/month, you get a reduced but still pricy phone cost per minute.

I used it in Italy last summer. Saved about $300 on data costs if I had not opted in (their normal data charges are high).

Call their GLOBAL services and don't rely on a cs rep.
    06-28-10 09:43 PM
    06-28-10 09:48 PM
    Just buy a Vodafone sim at the airport kiosk and enjoy BB service, fast 3G and cheap local calling + a few international minutes to boot. No need to pay VZW for this.
    06-28-10 09:58 PM
    Just buy a Vodafone sim at the airport kiosk and enjoy BB service, fast 3G and cheap local calling + a few international minutes to boot. No need to pay VZW for this.
    I second this, Vodafone in Italy offers a prepaid BIS service....

http://www.areaprivati.vodafone.it/1...obile_internet

The page is in Italian, but the bottom left box (with 3 Euro) says you can have Prepaid BIS service for 3 Euros a week.
    06-28-10 10:11 PM
    unlock your phone and get a WIND prepaid simcard. wind is the cheapest mobile option in italy and usually has pretty good serivce in major and surrounding cities. its only 9� a month for unlimited internet/email and you can add voice minutes or text as well for as little as 2�.

have a great trip!
    06-28-10 10:43 PM
    Thanks All!
    06-29-10 07:17 AM
    Any input on the same thing but traveling to Jamaica?
    06-29-10 11:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD