I would like to use my Blackberry while I'm down there. What is the best way to go? (I would like to use data if possible as well).
    05-04-10 04:49 PM
    I would like to use my Blackberry while I'm down there. What is the best way to go? (I would like to use data if possible as well).
    Ironically, I'm also going down to Jamaica as well (next month) and I intend on bringing my BlackBerry with me, so I'd also like to know.

I assume there's always the option of finding out if you can buy a pay-as-you-go SIM card down there and use that, provided that your phone is unlocked for use with any GSM carrier.

I'll be doing my research for other viable options in the meantime. I want to avoid paying those costly roaming fees!
    Last edited by Apocalypso; 05-04-10 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Typos
    05-04-10 05:45 PM
    Me three.

*And isn't the Tour a World Phone? So..
    05-04-10 05:48 PM
    Well being on Verizon you will have to get your Blackberry unlocked (assuming you don't want to roam).. You'll wanna go get a SIM Card from the local provider (Digicel Preferably) they have the data plan but in order to activate, you'll need to purchase the prepaid cards for the service... plans go for 1week, 2weeks, and a 1month unlimited of course. You can always speak to a representative in a Digicel location and they will take care of you...

Hope that was good enough info for you.. I know this because I am from Jamaica.
    05-04-10 05:49 PM
    You will have to unlock your device, if its not already, and then buy a sim card with a plan from a local provider as stated above. I think you will have to call your service to provider to get the unlock code or purchase one on-line. I went to ebay and paid $0.99 for mine and it worked.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-04-10 05:52 PM
    I have a 9630 on Sprint (unlocked) and was able to use my phone with a Digicel SIM card when I was in St. Vincent a few weeks ago. All I had to do was go into a Digicel store, buy the SIM card then tell them I wanted BIS. I got the 7 day plan, plugged the SIM card in, switched the phone to GSM and I was up and running. BBM worked right off the bat. I didn't set-up my email because I was mainly using BBM to communicate with people in the US. I'm sure email set-up wouldn't be a problem though.

Cable and wireless, I think its called LIME now, is another option and I think mobile to mobile on their network is cheaper than Digicel's.

I noticed once back in the US on Sprint, I had to go to the Sprint BIS site and resend service books for the phone to receive email from my accounts though.

Long story short, should not have any issues as long as your phone is unlocked.
    05-04-10 06:15 PM
    All you need to do is call Verizon, have them update your roaming capabilities. Then get the roaming data plan. When you get home, cancel the roaming data plan. Total cost for the pro rated data plan is about 15 bucks. Phone calls out are expensive, but your number remains active if anyone from home needs you.

I did not get the roaming data plan last year and got banged with $150.00 in roam fees!! YIKES!!!
    05-05-10 07:25 AM
    i used mine in jamaica last summer....i stayed off the phone and just paid for the international data plan, did cost more than a couple extra bucks. i activated the sim card in the phone incase i needed to make a phone call. i was able to email and bbm at no additional charge
    05-05-10 07:46 AM
    Best way to go .... IS too relax and leave your Berry at Home ... Sorry
    05-05-10 07:48 AM
    I know that I should be relaxing, but I would like to have my phone with me in case of an emergency. Plus I'm heavily involved in fantasy baseball, so I will need to set my lineups :-)
    05-05-10 02:12 PM
    Yeah, when I first traveled with mine to Belize, all I had to do was call sprint to get it unlocked for international use. There should be a number you can call for verizon that solely deals with international use, just like sprint.
    05-05-10 03:20 PM
    Going to Jamaica in less then 2 weeks to get married, my soon to be wife and I will be leaving our phones HOME!! Everyone I would want to call will be there.

I thought about going through the process to unlock it but said forget it time to relax and party.
    05-05-10 05:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD