Perfect timing. The only thing Niagara is lacking for me is the ability to simultaneously do voice and data. Wifi is not a real solution for my travel pattern since the times I most need simultaneous voice and data are the times I am away from Wifi. Let's hope this phone is as sturdy as the 8830 WE which had served me beautifully for 2 years til this May =p

I wonder if Verizon's LTE will covered as much area as the CDMA currently does; and how reliable the LTE signals might be. I am a fairly loyal customer but when my former carrier went from analog to digital (was it TDMA to GSM? not sure if that's accurate) back in 2002 and in process destroyed the perfect call quality they used to have, I am naturally skeptical when someone making a system change in this scope. Does anyone has any idea? But I guess my Niagara will be almost two-year old by the time LTE is brought online and running so I should have some idea.
    03-13-09 05:53 PM
    Yes the next couple of years will be very exciting for the mobile world. It's good to be alive atm!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-13-09 06:49 PM
    IIRC VZW's 2010 plans are for a LTE launch using their 700mhz spectrum for fixed and mobile ISP service in rural areas. I wouldnt expect to see LTE replacing CDMA on VZW's 850/1900 network until sometime after that.
    03-14-09 09:06 AM
    Its not going to be a complete transition - there will still be 3G for awhile. Verizon will build up its 4G network over time and it will eventually replace 3G but not anytime soon. So you will still have great coverage since their 4G phones will be LTE and CDMA capable

03-14-09 09:33 AM
    Its not going to be a complete transition - there will still be 3G for awhile. Verizon will build up its 4G network over time and it will eventually replace 3G but not anytime soon. So you will still have great coverage since their 4G phones will be LTE and CDMA capable

I am so excited cause they are building their test LTE network in northern nj where i live
    03-14-09 04:34 PM
    I wonder if Verizon's LTE will covered as much area as the CDMA currently does; and how reliable the LTE signals might be. I am a fairly loyal customer but when my former carrier went from analog to digital (was it TDMA to GSM? not sure if that's accurate) back in 2002 and in process destroyed the perfect call quality they used to have,

LTE should have an excellent signal with a very strong "building penetration". Verizon won most of the 700mhz signal that has been previously used for broadcast television for almost sixty years. This signal is very stable and carries a long way. I can't wait!! It is going to be awesome!
    03-14-09 08:57 PM
    LTE should have an excellent signal with a very strong "building penetration". Verizon won most of the 700mhz signal that has been previously used for broadcast television for almost sixty years. This signal is very stable and carries a long way. I can't wait!! It is going to be awesome!

LOL Digging the ability to Voice/Data at the same time; strong penetration is a huge bonus!! (Certainly beats having to buy the $250 signal repeater Verizon is selling) Anyone has information on whether LTE (at least at this early stage) is as power-hungry as CDMA?
    03-14-09 10:33 PM
    By the way, my 8830 WE started to have involuntary shut-downs all by itself today. It is evidently not happy with all my talks of Niagrara.
    03-14-09 10:36 PM
    From what I understood late this year you would see verizon start with lte roll out and in to 2010 did I dream that?

03-15-09 01:50 AM
    LTE? I guess we'll see...
    03-15-09 02:04 AM
    I hope that the Niagara will last me until the roll out of LTE also.
    03-19-09 11:28 AM
    The Niagara is going to last me until my contract is up, so yeah, I'll probably still have it when 5G rolls out.

03-19-09 01:17 PM
    I am so excited cause they are building their test LTE network in northern nj where i live
    Nice! Do you know where in northern jersey? I don't live in jersey but work in northern nj. This would be great.
    03-19-09 02:13 PM
    What is the business about LTE???

Can someone explain it without using all those technical terms...lol

From what I read above what I got is that Verizon purchased what the TV's used to be broadcasted on....or something like that....and they are going to use that to do their wireless???
    03-19-09 03:13 PM
    LTE is Long Term Evolution and will one day replace EV-DO and allow us to do Voice/Data using the 700 MHz spectrum which was used for tv's till recently
    03-19-09 04:07 PM
    It's basically 4G... I think

03-19-09 04:25 PM
    Yes it is 4G and it is suppose to have data speeds faster than current high speed broadband that we have at home.
    03-19-09 07:47 PM
    Yes it is 4G and it is suppose to have data speeds faster than current high speed broadband that we have at home.
    with the way things are getting competitive, the way some companies are busy rolling out fiber, it may not be long until you see a gigabit to a household through a residential isp. the average speed in an american household is slower than a lot of the averages throughout europe, japan, and korea. then you have companies offering up to 30 and 50mbit as it is right now.
    03-20-09 12:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD