Is this happening to anyone else? Every once in a while, the hourglass/clock thing will appear for 10-20 seconds at a time (for no reason), and I can't do anything. It happens almost every time I use google maps... I will get the spinning clock in the middle of the screen, and my entire tour is frozen.

Does anyone know why this is happening, or what I can do to stop it?
    Thanks for your help!
    10-03-09 01:34 PM
    Do a battery pull when you get it again. If it keeps happening, try to reinstall the program(s) that are making your Tour freeze up.
    10-03-09 01:37 PM
    Do a battery pull when you get it again. If it keeps happening, try to reinstall the program(s) that are making your Tour freeze up.

It's sometimes happening when its just sitting there idle, or when im dialing a phone number, or running any app. It's not specific to one app. Maybe I need to free up memory or something?
    10-03-09 01:44 PM
    Getting the hourglass/clock alot; freezing up Tour

hummmmm....I was told by CS this is normal, having never had a bb before it seemed like a reasonable explanation. So this isn't normal? Battery pulls have not corrected the situation. It happens on mine when I am on the web and reading lengthy articles, seems like it appears while downloading additional data. So is this hardware or software problem?
    10-03-09 01:46 PM
    check if you are running anything in the background that could cause it.. you can also go into your DM apploader and uncheck all the 3rd party apps to get them off the phone, and systematically add them back 1 by 1 until you start to get the freezing.. and youve found the problem app.
    10-03-09 01:47 PM
    What OS are you running? If you are still using stock (.40), try upgrading to .53. I saw significant improvement after I updated. If you are not willing to upgrade, just do a battery pull. Have you even tried a battery pull yet?
    10-03-09 01:47 PM
    Well, nothing running in background, running .53 and 111.8 mb free space. current apps WSJ, google sync, bolt, pandora, google maps, berry weather, quick pull, poynt, blackberry apps, bb maps, golf logix.
    10-03-09 02:02 PM
    What OS are you running? If you are still using stock (.40), try upgrading to .53. I saw significant improvement after I updated. If you are not willing to upgrade, just do a battery pull. Have you even tried a battery pull yet?
    I am using the stock OS; I have no idea how to upgrade (do you know of any step-by-step detailed upgrade instruction links?) A battery pull seems to work for maybe a day or two... then I start seeing the hourglass/clock again. The only apps I have running in the background are: Home Screen, BB Messenger, Phone, Browser, and Messages.
    10-03-09 02:17 PM
    I am using the stock OS; I have no idea how to upgrade (do you know of any step-by-step detailed upgrade instruction links?) A battery pull seems to work for maybe a day or two... then I start seeing the hourglass/clock again. The only apps I have running in the background are: Home Screen, BB Messenger, Phone, Browser, and Messages.
    This is the best guide to use (make sure to follow it very closely in order to avoid error):

How to Install or Upgrade to a New RIM BlackBerry Operating System (OS) with AppLoader | CrackBerry.com

Download the 4.7.1.53 OS from HERE. Make sure to do a backup before you upgrade. I would also recommend backing up your 3rd party apps as well. You won't lose any apps when upgrading, but it's always safer to backup them up just in case you need to downgrade. (Guide: http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/upda...updated-53201/)
    10-03-09 02:41 PM
    i know that this is for the tour but do you think this solution will work on the storm as well?
    10-06-09 08:28 PM
    My phone is going through the same thing.. constant freezing-up especially when using google maps; did you find a solution for this problem?
    10-13-09 03:36 PM
    have u possibly downloaded any new themes? this has happened to me only on 2 different occassions...my phone is sllloooowwww or i get that hourglass of death every 5 seconds or so. it only happened with 2 different themes i downloaded. i got rid of them quick
    10-13-09 03:44 PM
    I haven't downloaded new themes in over a month.. but I'm literally dealing with freezing every 5 minutes
    10-15-09 10:52 AM
    I get the same issues. Noone has an answer yet other than the standard Microsoft solution....'...did you reboot? remove the battery? reinstall the operating system?' typed responses.

I think the manufacturer is as baffled as you and everyone here is. Some models work without ANY changes to the platform, version, settings,...others do not.

Either you have to live with it for a while until this problem is corrected or return it and learn to live without this feature. I returned my device, spent an hour with Verizon in the store and 45 minutes with tech support from a landline with no success.

Many solutions that haven't been successful for me are to install Quick Pull (equivalent of scheduling a battery pull), memory cleaning, blanking out the phone and reinstall the operating system, changing security preferences, and replacing the entire unit.

There was a suggestion on this forum to install the beta version of 5.0 platform...but how are some of the old version working fine?
    10-15-09 02:25 PM
    I had this happening a bunch, I noticed the biggest culprit was the Texas Hold'em game. After I downloaded BlackberryWeather I got it a lot more.

After yesterday's OS upgrade, I haven't had any problems.
    10-15-09 02:29 PM
    which OS upgrade did you get?
    10-16-09 01:48 PM
    i run .230

and the only out of the ordinary app i have running is google maps.

the clock/freeze happens at least 10 times a day for me for about 15 seconds.
    10-16-09 02:44 PM
    If you don't have to remove the battery, you're not having too much problems if you just get a 5-15 second delay once in a while...probably just the device communicating with the network.

If you are forced to pull the battery to regain control of the device, request a new one if you haven't had it long. If you can return it, use that as leverage to get some resolution. I have a feeling it won't just get better on it's own.

A Black Berry is a $1200/yr investment. Why be disatisfied when you'll pay more for the phones each year than I pay for auto insurance?
    10-19-09 02:32 PM
    i am having the same issues also. i have os version .57. i havent downloaded anything in the past 2 weeks. over the past 3 days it has been getting worse and worse. prior to this i havent had this or any other major issue. just typical sluggishness and occasional 5 sec clock. starting to drive me bonkers!!!! cant wait until os 5 is official, too scared to try any hybrid versions.
    11-15-09 09:31 PM
    My BB Tour was hour glassing like crazy for a month or so. I finally saw a post to upgrade the OS, which I did do. I upgraded to OS 5.0.0.732. I was running 4.7 something. By doing this and upgrading VZW Nav and a few other apps totally fixed my problem. No more hour glassing, no more delays on unlocking the device, and my battery now lasts all day long.

I highly recommend upgrading your OS if you are experiencing these problems, and if you have an older OS. To find your OS, go to Options, About.
    08-31-10 01:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD