I used this for a while with my Storm (one of the few things I liked about the Storm) and it worked great as a turn-by-turn gps (yea I know it was overpriced but luckily my job paid for it). Does anyone know if/when it will be released for the Tour?

TIA,
    Scion
    07-17-09 01:21 PM
    Hi Scion,

I received an email reply from Garmin today. No firm date yet, but GM WILL support the Tour in the near future. No "trial" version planned, but he said they will offer a 30 day money back guarantee.

Keep an eye on the Garmin Mobile site for news of the Tour version. It sounded as if it should be available in the next few weeks.

Hope this helps,

Postflight
    07-21-09 01:11 PM
    I used this for a while with my Storm (one of the few things I liked about the Storm) and it worked great as a turn-by-turn gps (yea I know it was overpriced but luckily my job paid for it). Does anyone know if/when it will be released for the Tour?

TIA,
    Scion
    How pricey is pricey?

07-21-09 01:32 PM
    I had a RIM IT person tell me yesterday that Googlemaps wasn't working with the Tour and that was Googlemaps fault, but that he suggested I use Garmin because "RIM has tested it with the Tour and it works perfectly" ha.
    07-21-09 01:41 PM
    I had a RIM IT person tell me yesterday that Googlemaps wasn't working with the Tour and that was Googlemaps fault, but that he suggested I use Garmin because "RIM has tested it with the Tour and it works perfectly" ha.
    Google maps works for me
    07-21-09 02:46 PM
    Google fixed the problem they had initially with the Tour. At first it wanted to act like it was installed on the Storm. I've had no problems with it once they made it Tour compatible.

07-21-09 05:49 PM
    oh and a FYI for the OP

If you already have garmin mobile, you can switch it to a new same model phone unlimited times for free.

AND! you can switch to a different model phone once for free.

Any update to when garmin mobile is going to be supported on the tour. Once that app becomes available, I'm switching from storm to tour.
    08-20-09 11:15 PM
    Good news on Garmin mobile. I just got off the phone with support and this Monday, 8/24, they will have the tour version ready to go. Just call in and they will get you set up.
    08-21-09 09:47 AM
    I'm very excited to hear that!! -- how will we be able to switch it from the Storm (my old phone) to the Tour?

Can I do it online or will we have to call? If we have to call -- what phone #?
    08-21-09 10:55 AM
    this makes me so happy to hear... I just got my Tour yesterday and I was thinking I had lost my Garmin Mobile.
    08-21-09 10:57 AM
    they will send you a link to download the new version for your tour. I purchased mine for the storm, but they said they will switch you for free up to a year after your orignial purchase.
    08-21-09 11:03 AM
    killer. Thanks for doing the legwork on this.
    08-21-09 11:19 AM
    How does Garmin Mobile compare to the (free) generic Telenav? Reason I am asking is that I like my Nuvi interface and may pay for GM if the price is right

EDIT: $99?? Wow, at that price it's Telenav hands down. I use the Tour nav in emergencies anyway, otherwise a dedicated GPS like Nuvi is a better option.
    Last edited by dohturdima; 08-21-09 at 12:58 PM.
    08-21-09 12:56 PM
    This is good news. I had garmin on my storm and loved it. I like having it on my cell phone way better than a dedicated one in my car. If I'm with a friend and they dont have gps and we get lost, bam its right in my purse.
    08-21-09 03:04 PM
    same here... except without the purse.
    That's exactly why I like it. It performs (in most ways) better than a standalone garmin and I always have it with me.
    08-21-09 03:14 PM
    Is there still a discount on the Garmin product? The use to be one on the BB Lounge.

Unless I got an old link - yup, still a 20% discount.........
    Last edited by F2; 08-21-09 at 03:42 PM.
    08-21-09 03:36 PM
    Is there still a discount on the Garmin product? The use to be one on the BB Lounge.

Unless I got an old link - yup, still a 20% discount.........
    You're correct. The BB lounge discount price is 79.99. I hope it comes out Monday. I sent an email inquiry to Garmin 3 weeks ago and never heard anything. Funny, I even checked again today. Love my nuvi, now I can give that to my wife. Thanks to the poster who dug up the release date.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-21-09 08:23 PM
    What is the difference between Sprint Nav & Garmin? I love my Sprint Nav and it is accurate and does everything.
    08-22-09 12:23 AM
    You're correct. The BB lounge discount price is 79.99. I hope it comes out Monday. I sent an email inquiry to Garmin 3 weeks ago and never heard anything. Funny, I even checked again today. Love my nuvi, now I can give that to my wife. Thanks to the poster who dug up the release date.

Don't rush to spoil her! You may find you want it back. I am of the opinion that having to transfer data back and forth with a cell phone to get maps and send position, and loop through that process is slower than using a dedicated gps with maps on board. Of course, maps on board means potentially older maps unless you keep current. But depending on where you are, maps may not change all that frequently anyway. I know my tomtom performed quite well in Vancouver, BC this past few days. Missed a turn and it recalc-ed quite quickly. But one device is nice, too. Tradeoffs.
    08-22-09 01:36 AM
    Don't rush to spoil her! You may find you want it back. I am of the opinion that having to transfer data back and forth with a cell phone to get maps and send position, and loop through that process is slower than using a dedicated gps with maps on board. Of course, maps on board means potentially older maps unless you keep current. But depending on where you are, maps may not change all that frequently anyway. I know my tomtom performed quite well in Vancouver, BC this past few days. Missed a turn and it recalc-ed quite quickly. But one device is nice, too. Tradeoffs.
    Since she drives around with our twins during the day, she should probably have it. I can always try another app if Garmin doesn't work, or just get another GPS!

08-23-09 03:03 PM
    Good news on Garmin mobile. I just got off the phone with support and this Monday, 8/24, they will have the tour version ready to go. Just call in and they will get you set up.
    I sure hope this dose come true. Only reason why I didn't switch from a storm to the tour ASAP was because I was waiting Garmin to be working for the tour. So I joined the train and bought a tour a few days ago.
    08-24-09 12:23 AM
    I just called support... he said it isn't ready yet and I should try back around Wednesday. Said they are working on it and expect to release very soon.
    08-24-09 08:38 AM
    I just called support... he said it isn't ready yet and I should try back around Wednesday. Said they are working on it and expect to release very soon.
    I was hoping to see that someone already has this software and could comment on it!

I must have talked to someone different, because I just got off the phone and he said it is ready to go. He put me on hold and double checked because he said they just received word of the lauch on Friday. I asked him about the free trial, and he said they might have one later but there isn't one now. If you buy it and don't like it, you have 30 days to return it. I asked him about the site not listing a tour as a compatible device and he said during the purchase process, you select your carrier and device and the tour should be there.
    08-24-09 08:53 AM
    i've been a VZ NAV user for years and love. i'm really excited to try Garmin Mobile though and see how it compares.

Does GM have OTA map updates? Can you send directions to other users?

08-24-09 08:58 AM
    I called this morning, as I was told to do on Friday and the guy said to call back later today. Sigh. Hopefully Garmin wont make me into a liar for more than a few hours.
    08-24-09 08:59 AM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD