This is my 4th tour replacement which I thought was otherwise flawless except this one issue, which I am debating whether or not it bothers me enough to get it replaced AGAIN.

There's this noticeable gap between the bezel and black housing near the volume buttons, and there was actually an ever so slight gap on the left side as well but that one is forgivable.

I guess pictures will do justice? What do you guys think, thumbs up or thumbs down? I don't know if I'm being too OCD over this.

**HUGE PICTURE WARNING**

Last edited by stevenhglee; 03-17-10 at 10:44 PM.
    03-17-10 10:42 PM
    Ive replaced 20 9630 bezels so far and that ones defiantly a little to tweaked for my taste.
    Swap device or replace bezel.

PS
    If your up to changing bezel I have 4 titanium and 1 black ,I would be happy to send you one free of charge.
    Last edited by Slingbox; 03-17-10 at 11:42 PM.
    03-17-10 11:22 PM
    Ive replaced 20 9630 bezels so far and that ones defiantly a little to tweaked for my taste.

PS
    If your up to changing bezel I have 4 titanium and 1 black ,I would be happy to send you one free of charge.
    oh man...I don't have any tools and I don't know how comfortable I would be trying to tamper with something I've never done. Wouldn't it void warranty too? Thanks a lot for the offer though, I might just get it replaced =\
    03-18-10 12:07 AM
    I'm especially concerned because that gap is significantly big enough to allow dust and other particles to enter and perhaps cause malfunction or dust under the screen or whatever.
    03-18-10 12:34 AM
    No. Don't return it. Mine was like that too and I thought it was a problem. Its not. That's how the bezel is built. Because of the design of all the buttons they can't put a clip there. Its tough to explain but on the left side there is one less button so there is one more clip than there is on the right side. Thus the gap.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    03-18-10 12:39 AM

PS

Slingbox, if you're willing to part with some bezels. I'd me more than happy to take a few off your hands. I need some for my fiancees phone.

03-18-10 12:41 AM
    No. Don't return it. Mine was like that too and I thought it was a problem. Its not. That's how the bezel is built. Because of the design of all the buttons they can't put a clip there. Its tough to explain but on the left side there is one less button so there is one more clip than there is on the right side. Thus the gap.
    really? so all tours basically have this gap on the right side? i never paid attention to any of the prior ones I had so I don't know.
    03-18-10 12:43 AM
    My tour and my fiancee's tour both have that 'gap'; and even my work Bold has that gap. It really wont affect it too bad in terms of dust, etc. If you think it looks bad on yours, it looks even worse on the sprint "silver" bezel. But yeah its normal.

I cant believe youve exchanged four already because of this gap. But yeah, where there is a button, they cannot put a "clip" that keeps the bezel onto the midplate (the rubber part). So they're forced to put the retaining clip lower in between the volume key and the camera key.

See the attached photo, you can see the one retaining clip (the one that would be where the volume rocker is) is much lower than the other side. That causes the gap. Its the way its built.

Put a case on it and forget about it
    Last edited by wellplayedwill; 03-18-10 at 02:33 AM.
    03-18-10 02:30 AM
    Originally, it wasnt designed this way. It was tighter...but if you'll remember with earlier models, this caused "screen ripples".
    03-18-10 02:32 AM

I don't think thats how the bezel is supposed to be built. My tour is flush and doesn't have a gap. Even after replacing the top housing with a white on from china it is still flush, no gaps.
    03-18-10 07:14 AM
    My tour doesn't have the gap, or screen ripples from verizon. Could it be a carrier difference?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-18-10 07:46 AM
    well, my gf said her tour also has a slight gap there in comparison to the bottom portion of that same side bezel and also in comparison to the left side of the bezel, so maybe it's still a common occurrence?
    03-18-10 10:55 AM
    My tour doesn't have the gap, or screen ripples from verizon. Could it be a carrier difference?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I don't think RIM would say "hey lets make Verizon's Tour crappy and Sprint's Tour nicer with fit and finish." Let alone have two production line to create two types of Tour finishes. That just doesn't make any sense $$ wise.

I think RIM's quality is not just up to standards as it used to be when they were making the older Blackberry's. Early Tour's had issues with the battery door shifting up, down, side to side.
    03-18-10 12:28 PM
    any more input would be great, even if yours looks perfect with no issues like mines
    03-18-10 12:33 PM
    I don't think thats how the bezel is supposed to be built. My tour is flush and doesn't have a gap. Even after replacing the top housing with a white on from china it is still flush, no gaps.
    Refurbs use old part of course with many of the bezels being left overs....not worthy of new device use.
    Most cross members are tweaked up not flush with bottom of screen and side edges warped as seen in Stevens pic.
    Not sure if his device replacement is new..if so he got ripped with defective part.

The same is the case with LCDs as well...lots with yellow tint to them not brilliant white.
    Refurb Trackballs are are very odd ,many Ive come across have bell facing up ,Im not sure what the hecks up with that but they preform pretty good.
    Last edited by Slingbox; 03-18-10 at 01:48 PM.
    03-18-10 12:57 PM
    oh man...I don't have any tools and I don't know how comfortable I would be trying to tamper with something I've never done. Wouldn't it void warranty too? Thanks a lot for the offer though, I might just get it replaced =\
    Tool needed )T-6 driver can be purchased at Homedepot for 7.00 and yes warranty will be void once tamper sticker dot on right sides broke...easy fix for that though.
    Replace sticker device never looks opened.
    Tamper stickers can be purchased online..many provide free samples.

If your not up for that replacement swap would be the call
    Last edited by Slingbox; 03-18-10 at 01:34 PM.
    03-18-10 01:08 PM
    No gap here brothas. But even if you do its not a big deal...
    03-18-10 02:52 PM
    yea you know, i'm really probably not gonna swap it, i feel foolish by the minute thinking that i'd return it because of some gap, though i really really wish it wasn't there.

le sigh
    03-18-10 03:28 PM
    anyone think this may become an issue with dust getting in easier, perhaps even getting behind the screen? That would be my nightmare
    03-19-10 05:54 PM
    I have a VZW 9630 and neither the original black housing or the new blue housing that I installed have a gap like that. Others may have a gap, but that doesn't mean that it's right.

Personally, if that was my Tour I'd swap it for another one with a better fitting housing. I'd be concerned about dust or other stuff getting into the gap or even the potential for catching it on something.

Also, I don't know if it's from the flash, but the first picture looks like there's some kind of ripple in the bezel in addition to the gap. If that's the case (and it's not from the flash making it look distorted), it looks like you have a bezel that was damaged somewhere along the line.

JMO.
    03-19-10 06:28 PM
    Mine is so tight it seems to be one piece.. I have never had any screen ripples either.. Battery door on the other hand is prob the ****tiest darn thing RIM ever made...
    03-20-10 10:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD