At my work I've seen a funny recent trend. We do Mobile hardware/software and consulting for tons of clients, big corporations, govt clients everyone.

Recently I've noticed that those clients that require the most secure mobile handset around always pick the cameraless tour with no wi-fi to the point where govt. contractors and agencies are choosing it (this is public info, and obviously I'm not using names).

Basically those secure facilities that require no cameras obviously get the cameraless version, the fact that it's an unlockable world phone is also a huge plus for international traveling empoyees and the fact it has *no* wifi (not just wifi that is turned off via software) but no wifi chipset to speak of.

The specifically request no wifi chip at all. Random Wifi networks can't be trusted and therefore the user should never have the option to turn the wifi on. Even if you enforce this behavior via software lock they still are paranoid enough to not want it in there at all.

interesting trend I thought..
    11-07-09 09:41 AM
    When I was in the military, this is all we were given and any of the new contractors were given blackberry's. Back then it was the 8830 World Edition but I'm sure they're upgrading to the Tour now, its a no brainer. We have a lot of extra's for the Blackberry, we have a CAC ID Card scanner (Common Access Card = Military ID) because its more secure than just a password. So Blackberry does well to cater to the government contracts.
    11-07-09 10:28 AM
    Interesting piece of info!
    11-07-09 03:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD