I just got this 9630 for work, on the company Verizon plan.

Immediately, I noticed that the battery ran down remarkably fast. Mind you, this is while not actually using the device at all, or for very, very little.

Case in point, after removing it from the charger, 100% charged (i.e. the little lightning bolt was no longer present), it went perhaps 28 hours before I noticed the LED blinking, thinking it was a message. It was a low battery indicator, which revealed that power was drained so much that the radio was no longer active.

During those 28 or so hours, I unblanked the screen precisely once, and did not use the device at all. There were no applications running, save those which cannot be closed - BlackBerry Messenger, Browser, Home Screen, Messages, and Phone were all that showed up in the task list, and the browser was at the blank home page.

I see several old threads remarking on something similar, but they all indicate active use, so all the theories were about whether this or that program could be causing a drain. In this case, I can say that the battery is going inexorably down while the device is completely idle.

Perhaps the only lead I have is that before the screen went dark, I noticed the little arrows indicating network traffic, though nothing was actually being transferred (no messages, no calls, etc.).

I did see one comment in one of the older threads that indicated a variable signal strength would drain the battery, and it does seem that the signal is unsteady here (it often flips between four bars and 1, or "1XEV" and "1X").

Could this be it? Is there anything I can do to prevent this device from draining itself?
    08-30-10 10:51 PM
    The bouncy signal sure can't help battery life if it's continually hunting for signal, etc.

Just ask your company for a charging pod so you can just drop it on the charger when not in use...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-30-10 11:12 PM
    It's the signal. I have great service at my apartment where I can go all day using the device and the battery is fine. I mean it'll drain, obviously, since I spend a lot of time on it but the amount it drains isn't extreme.

However, at my work the signal is terrible. I spend most of the time there in 1X and without touching my phone (keeping mind I DO have a BBM group that runs, as well as a few other apps) I can lose nearly half my battery in 2 hours.

So 28 hours in a place with a bad signal like that an almost nothing running sounds about right! ^_^ Trying to do anything with data in 1X will drain the battery considerably. I made the mistake of trying to download a theme at work once while in 1X and in the span of 20 minutes I had lost 20% of my battery! (Not to mention it took forever to download.)
    08-31-10 03:30 AM
    I did hear that it drains your battery when the phone is searching for signal and also having groups on your phone drains the battery. You would think the battery would last longer as a lot of business use them.
    09-04-10 03:50 PM
    I ordered mine online & when it arrived I noticed the same issue. I took it to Verizon Store & was advised that leaving the bluetooth on will drain a battery very quickly. Turned that little bugger off and haven't an issue since!
    Hope that helps ~
    09-06-10 09:34 AM
    I didn't know about the bluetooth, need to turn mines off when not in use.
    09-06-10 10:08 AM
    Bluetooth uses very minimal battery when activated but not it use. No need to turn it off.
    09-06-10 10:14 AM
    I went down into an area where I'd taken note of signal issues, recently. Now, my Tour is set for 1XEV Network only and the SIM card is flipped, so that didn't come into play. My first trip into the area lasted 1 hour and 20 minutes. In this time, my Tour went from 98% charge to 48% without any other usage.

A second trip was down into the same area. I pulled the power at 100% charge, and ended up being stuck down there for over 5 hours. This time I was able to play a couple of games for a while, and there was a little BBM activity involved, but I left at 77% battery this time.

Now, the difference? I'd recently nabbed onto a power management app. I watched as it turned the radio off when signal sucked, and would check for return of signal at intervals.

Tour is notorious for signal issues, at least with several of the 5.0 OS iterations. I didn't have as much problem with 4.7.

So, you're not imagining it, you are definitely getting some pretty good drain.

09-06-10 10:24 AM
    I went down into an area where I'd taken note of signal issues, recently. Now, my Tour is set for 1XEV Network only and the SIM card is flipped, so that didn't come into play. My first trip into the area lasted 1 hour and 20 minutes. In this time, my Tour went from 98% charge to 48% without any other usage.

A second trip was down into the same area. I pulled the power at 100% charge, and ended up being stuck down there for over 5 hours. This time I was able to play a couple of games for a while, and there was a little BBM activity involved, but I left at 77% battery this time.

Now, the difference? I'd recently nabbed onto a power management app. I watched as it turned the radio off when signal sucked, and would check for return of signal at intervals.

Tour is notorious for signal issues, at least with several of the 5.0 OS iterations. I didn't have as much problem with 4.7.

So, you're not imagining it, you are definitely getting some pretty good drain.

Which power management app are you using?
    09-06-10 02:21 PM
    Curious as well. I like to have as less apps running on the background as possible
    09-07-10 08:23 PM
    PowerBoss is the management app I was able to snag on a special deal. It has done wonders when I get off into a bad signal area. If you don't get off into bad signal areas very often, it may not be the most economical app. But, it does work as advertised when signal is weak or intermittent.

09-07-10 08:58 PM
    tHanks will look into that one
    09-07-10 09:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD