So day 31, I went to the store to exchange my Tour for the muffled voice issue, and the rep ordered me one to be Fed Ex'ed for Monday. He said he would had swapped it but the store was all out as well as 2 other stores

So I will be getting an FRU. Looking on the internet, I have seen 2 definitions on what it is-

Field Replacement Unit
    Factory Refurbished Unit

Which is it? Any Verizon Reps that may explain if I am getting a Refurb, or a brand new unit? Also, for anyone that has gotten an FRU, does it come with a new battery door?

Thanks in advance.....
    Last edited by DougFNJ; 08-17-09 at 03:43 PM.
    08-14-09 10:09 AM
    It is not a brand new unit. If it was under the 30 days they would have exchanged for a unit brand new from the box in the store.

You are getting a "certified like new device"
    08-14-09 10:10 AM
    Most likely getting a refurb. Most times replacements are not brand new. (But don't quote me on that)
    08-14-09 10:11 AM
    Most likely getting a refurb. Most times replacements are not brand new. (But don't quote me on that)
    Agreed, and they do the replacements with Brand New units in the store generally unless the store is bone dry and has none, which I dont think they are having stocking issues.
    08-14-09 10:12 AM
    verizon uses the term field replacement unit. but its technically not that anymore its supposed to be called certified like new replacement or CLNR, yet most vzw reps that have been around a while still just call them fru's since fru is still in the devices sku.

With the device being so new its going to be hard to say if its going to be brand new or a "fru" but regardless the fru will essentially be a brand new device also. And yes it will come with a new back.
    08-14-09 10:12 AM
    You'll only get a new unit if you were within your 30 days. You're going to be getting a Factory Refurbished Unit.
    08-14-09 10:13 AM
    IF the sotre is out of stock, as stated by the OP, Then it is ordered. If you get the device with all accessories, chances are that it is new. If you get a device without this, chances are it is a CLNR
    08-14-09 10:25 AM
    I got a refurb from Rogers on my 9000, and it came in a regular box with all the regular accessories. Only difference was that the sticker on the screen indicated that it was refurbished.
    08-14-09 10:30 AM
    I will definitely report what the stickers on the box say. I hope it's new, but first and foremost, I hope I get a unit with no issues. It's funny, I don't know why the word refurbished bothers me when I know they test these units MORE than when it left the factory, but there is some stigma there lol
    08-14-09 10:47 AM
    Got my replacement unit today, it was in the brown box and the bag it was in was curiously open, like someone openned it before me....but all the stickers were on the unit, so I wasnt too concerned. It didn't say anywhere in the paperwork, box, SKU, unit, or stickers anything about refurbished. The unit is perfect, ever so slight looseness on the battery door, but nothing bugging me too badly. Sound and voice quality so far is reported as excellent, very happy with this unit.

When I called the rep to activate and make sure everything is good to go, I asked if this unit was new or refurbished.....she said it was brand spanking new

So I guess all FRU's are NOT Refurbs, and this was 2 days after my 30 days.

Thanks Verizon
    08-17-09 03:48 PM
    Nice! Hopefully this one won't be problematic for ya.
    08-17-09 04:11 PM
    Congrats... yea normally when the device is a newer device they dont tend to have many FRU's until 30 days after the device was released..(since anyone who purchased the phone in its first 30days will still get a new one from VZW) so they send out new ones... but that normally changes after the device is older then 45 days....
    08-17-09 04:16 PM
    You'll probably get a device that someone else returned because of "problems" and they have either repaired those "problems" or decided that they were not problems to begin with (like a slight screen ripple).
    08-17-09 04:25 PM
    Got my replacement unit today, it was in the brown box and the bag it was in was curiously open, like someone openned it before me....but all the stickers were on the unit, so I wasnt too concerned. It didn't say anywhere in the paperwork, box, SKU, unit, or stickers anything about refurbished. The unit is perfect, ever so slight looseness on the battery door, but nothing bugging me too badly. Sound and voice quality so far is reported as excellent, very happy with this unit.

When I called the rep to activate and make sure everything is good to go, I asked if this unit was new or refurbished.....she said it was brand spanking new

So I guess all FRU's are NOT Refurbs, and this was 2 days after my 30 days.

Thanks Verizon
    You'll probably get a device that someone else returned because of "problems" and they have either repaired those "problems" or decided that they were not problems to begin with (like a slight screen ripple).
    Please read above
    08-17-09 04:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD