Hi all,
    I'm new to the forum because I need some info before I leave for France next week. I'll be there for five months, and I was wondering what the best plan would be?
    From what I've been reading, it seems like the $69.99/month globalemail plan might work the best. Does that include BBM, and more importantly for me, AIM? Because I know AIM allows you to IM people's phones...so if AIM were included in the $69.99/month data plan, I could use it as a way to message my family's and friends' phones back home in the states.

Does anyone know if this is how that plan would work? I've never travelled overseas let alone used a phone outside the US, so I'm just trying to figure out the easiest way to keep in touch with people via my Tour.

(And I know everyone's probably going to recommend Skype and stuff-- I already have that prepared, but I won't have internet in my dorm, so if I can use AIM from my phone through a data plan, it'd be the easiest thing for me).

Thanks so much!
    01-05-10 12:34 PM
    Hi,
    I have travelled all over Europe, and have been using Google Voice to SMS all the people that don't have BB's.
    As far as I know AIM won't let u text cell phones, when you are signed in from a mobile device, that might have changed...
    Just use GV, you can use the app or have it forward SMS to your Email and you can reply via Email too...
    If you need an invite, just PM me...

Good luck!
    01-05-10 12:46 PM
    Beejive will let you log in to a host of messaging services, including Facebook chat. Well worth it. Uses data.

I used my phone in france with the data plan. I am almost 100% sure bbm is included because it is data not sms.

Google voice is good too, but I don't use it much.

The global plan will serve you well. Get Bolt or Opera browser and your phone is now a mini computer to keep you connected overseas

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-05-10 01:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD