if you lock ur phone and cant remember the password and try 10 times on the 10th try it tells u to type in "blackberry" and says if you get it wrong it will erase all information.. what exactly does that mean, that it will wipe your phones memory clean or what?
    07-21-09 11:12 PM
    Security wipe. User info, messages, settings and third party apps gone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-21-09 11:15 PM
    that makes no sense considering anyone could wipe your phone if they wanted to. or is it just me?
    07-21-09 11:17 PM
    Yeah, but they won't have all of your contacts and other information.
    07-21-09 11:24 PM
    but they aren't gonna get in no matter how many tries if its locked, its locked. My friends are goofballs and i could see them doing it to just mess with me if i had't backed up my phone recently i'd be screwed.
    07-21-09 11:43 PM
    but they aren't gonna get in no matter how many tries if its locked, its locked. My friends are goofballs and i could see them doing it to just mess with me if i had't backed up my phone recently i'd be screwed.
    find new friends.
    07-22-09 12:42 AM
    wait i thought its just like a pre set amount of time lockout?
    07-22-09 12:44 AM
    get ready to say goodbye to everything on the phone. Hopefully you have a backup.
    07-22-09 12:46 AM
    You can set the 'security timeout' in options but that is how long your phone will go idle before locking itself. After the 10th time, the phone will be wiped.
    07-22-09 12:47 AM
    You can set the phone so it wait's an 'X' amount of time before it locks, and then a different option for how many attempts you get at entering the correct password. If you max out, it will be wiped clean. Most people make it 10 just for those reasons, some people screw up the password once or twice, or if a "friend" is dicking around with your BB.
    07-22-09 12:49 AM
    I've actually tried this a year or so ago when I first got my Curve...I purposefully set set my lock, and then continuously typed the wrong password, and then at the last few attempts, it gives you warnings like, "you got 3..2...tries left, WARNING" then something like "this will wipe your handheld"...then I thought maybe it was to scare whoever's playing with your phone and locks up your phone...but nope, it wiped my phone clean and reset it to the way it first came out of the box...DAMN, and I totally forgot to backup my phone before that...yup, I lost EVERYTHING...hahahah...lesson learned...
    07-22-09 01:36 AM
    I have noticed that if u type in the wrong password and it says incorrect pw just hit the back button to the right of the trackball and your pw attempts wont accumulate. Before I found out about this I did enter the wrong pw 10 times and the phone shut down. I called Sprint and they gave me a number to put back into the phone to reset it. I did and no info was lost.
    07-22-09 08:53 AM
    I have noticed that if u type in the wrong password and it says incorrect pw just hit the back button to the right of the trackball and your pw attempts wont accumulate. Before I found out about this I did enter the wrong pw 10 times and the phone shut down. I called Sprint and they gave me a number to put back into the phone to reset it. I did and no info was lost.
    Doesn't work that way on the Tour....I didn't think it worked that way on the Curve either but I can double check that when I get home....
    07-22-09 09:24 AM
    For those forgetful... Any way to recover from a lost password (if you didn't enter it wrong 10 times)?
    07-22-09 11:43 AM
    haha honestly i can see my friends trying to get into my phone to see some girly pictures or something and passing it around trying to figure out the password and then ending up wiping my device. id almost rather give them the pics
    07-22-09 12:33 PM
    uh so based on your reasoning, I could be typing and guessing your bank account passwords indefinite without the bank trying to lock out signing in correct? just because its inconvenient for you, doesn't mean its flawed.
    07-22-09 12:39 PM
    find new friends.
    Yeah what he said. Or just don't let nobody touch your phone.
    07-22-09 12:54 PM
    that makes no sense considering anyone could wipe your phone if they wanted to. or is it just me?
    Security is one of the main driving forces behind the BB. I know I wouldn't have bothered to look at BB's until I found out how tight they can be locked down. I like to lock mine down when I travel.
    07-22-09 01:09 PM
    I kept getting incorrect password messages when I *knew* I was entering the right one. After the 5th attempt it asked me to type "blackberry". Up until this point whatever I typed was just *****s. I typed "blackberry" and the actual word was visible. That worked and it went to try #6 of 10. When I entered the password it showed me that one of the lower case letters was actually being capitalized. Guess it is case sensitive??? Anyway, I imagined it being wiped and was pissed because I knew what my password was!!!! An option to show password (or not) as you type would be nice. I do have a backup for it but think I will back it up more often...
    08-26-09 06:37 PM
    Get new friends.

08-26-09 06:42 PM
    Since you're probably in DENIAL right now, Here's PROOF that 10 tries equals data doom (from the Blackberry Knowledge Base articles.)

Sorry, buddy. I probably would just take the ridicule and give them the pics, too.
    09-08-09 12:33 PM
    It will completely wipe your device. I did that once. My bff got drunk and thought it would be funny to reset my password. So the next morning I couldn't get into it. WIPED!! I do backups quite often now. And she doesn't get to touch my bb when she's drinking anymore. Lol.

09-08-09 01:02 PM
    For those forgetful... Any way to recover from a lost password (if you didn't enter it wrong 10 times)?
    The only way would be to plug it into DM, then try to figure out the password when it prompts you for it. Get it right, get access to the phone via the computer. Get access via the computer, you can get access via the phone.

Make sense?
    09-08-09 01:23 PM
    actually it makes plenty of sense. If you have.a password on your device than you are trying to protect sometype of information. Therefore if the device is stolen it means that the culprit will not get access no matter what and eventually your information will be safe and sound, due to the security wipe. Ask yourseld would you want someone to have access to all you numbers, credit cards( if you use BB wallet) and other things.

09-08-09 01:50 PM
    Yup, it especially makes sense for corporate and government users.
    09-08-09 01:54 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD